Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Financing Tesla vehicles in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know what their bank’s policy is for paying off the entire auto loan early? Wondering if any of the banks such as Scotia/BMO/RBC charge a penalty for paying off the loan before term end.
According to the Tesla sales rep, the banks they work with (and i believe all major banks in canada) are "open" automotive loans, so there's no penalty for pre-paying principle or paying it all off at once.

Reactions: Jovo
I can confirm that's the case for RBC based on the loan on my Model Y in June.
Do you know how it works if you apply a lump sum to the outstanding loan, but don't pay it off?

For example, if I have $40,000 outstanding and monthly payments are $800/month for 60 more months, what happens if throw $10,000 at the loan? Does this have the effect of reducing the outstanding term, or is my monthly payment recalculated, or something else?

Do you know how it works if you apply a lump sum to the outstanding loan, but don't pay it off?

For example, if I have $40,000 outstanding and monthly payments are $800/month for 60 more months, what happens if throw $10,000 at the loan? Does this have the effect of reducing the outstanding term, or is my monthly payment recalculated, or something else?
Ask your lender to apply 10 k towards the principle amount which will reduce the outstanding principle amount + interest.

If you want to keep the tenure the same then you will get lower monthly payments.

Alternatively, you can ask them to keep the same monthly payments and reduce the term. ( this is the best option because you will pay less interest)