Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Financing through USAA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my 3 yesterday, brought in the DFR with the loan amount pre-filled out. Paperwork was quick, he got to the loan part, saw I had a DFR, just took it and said thanks. That was it, no fax drama or anything. This was at the Devon, PA center.

Reactions: GMan324
Picked up my 3 yesterday, brought in the DFR with the loan amount pre-filled out. Paperwork was quick, he got to the loan part, saw I had a DFR, just took it and said thanks. That was it, no fax drama or anything. This was at the Devon, PA center.
I’m in Texas, and love/will finance through USAA. Any and all tips on the process (timing, tips, what to avoid) would be helpful. Did you finance it all or put a down payment? Thank you in advance.

I’m in Texas, and love/will finance through USAA. Any and all tips on the process (timing, tips, what to avoid) would be helpful. Did you finance it all or put a down payment? Thank you in advance.
Hi, just paid last week with USAA. Emailed ISA the DFR (you can download it as a pdf from USAA website). Couple days later Tesla’s finance department confirmed with USAA. Delivery scheduled for July 10. Seemed to be pretty easy.

I'm picking up tomorrow. Got on a 3-way call with USAA and my ISA and they figured it out. Went from ISA requesting a check/wire-transfer today, to them saying they have a good relationship and the Funding Request will be sufficient at pick up. Hoping all goes smoothly.

Reactions: Dana1
USAA sent this after loan completed...

“The vehicle does not qualify for the USAA Total Loss Protection plan. Refer to your Total Loss Protection Terms and Conditions document. You were not charged due to a non-qualifying vehicle.”

Going through the Tesla/USAA gong show right now.
Delivery was supposed to happen tomorrow AM so of course I get a call at 4:45pm confirming I have a check for them. Yeah, no..... that’s why I sent you the dealer funding request that you wouldn’t schedule an appointment without!
My ISA dropped off the map once I sent that and we setup the appointment— no indication that I had to handle all the legwork myself.
The woman who called today made sure to blame the fact that I wasn’t financing through them, as often as possible, and seemed sure that I must know how to fund an auto loan with no input from the seller.
She insisted that ACH is the fastest; else wire transfer or check is slower, which of course I know is not true. (My bank confirmed ACH can take up to 72h so I have no idea how this will go).

Also, when we were rescheduling my appointment l said the only day I can commit to without confirming with my wife is next Thursday, and I was told they can’t hold a car for that long. Thanks for the flexibility!

Anyway, just got off the phone with USAA who insist plenty of members have had DFRs sent in by Tesla.

After a lengthy hold she wasn’t able to find any reason I couldn’t fill out the DFR and submit it myself on behalf of Tesla, but recommended against it lest it cause problems with the dealer if they’re not okay with me doing that. Well, I got news for ya, none of this pay-for-a-car-without-seeing-it stuff is a good idea!! :)

I have a 5:15 appt tomorrow for pickup and I’ll probably submit the DFR myself but I have zero confidence the money will actually arrive in time.