Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finding "hidden" Supercharger location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've made the first long trip with our Tesla- a 90 miles trip to Temecula, CA.
Although the car still had 130 miles of charge on it when we got there, enough to get home safely, we decided to recharge in a Temecula's Promonade shopping center before we hit the road back.

It took me some time to find the bloody Tesla supercharger, as it was "hidden" on the 3rd floor of the big and busy parking structure. There were no signs anywhere the the charger are there until we climbed up there and "bumped" into it.
Happy end- we charged within 40 minutes, while walking around at the nice and big shopping center.
TESLA--- PLEASE MARK THE SUPERCHARGERS LOCATION SO THAT WE WANT WASTE TIME DRIVING AROUND...

Apparently, it happens to other visitors to Temecula too- see the video clip here- especially the surprising end from the 9:25 minute point!

Hmm..

I havent read the whole thread, but I live here in Temecula. I am a new Model 3 (and new to tesla) owner. I have lived here for years, but I dont shop inside the mall.. too much traffic for me. So, I didnt know where the supercharger was here in town, just that it was somewhere "at the mall".. which is a VERY large mall, with multiple shopping centers AROUND the mall.

My tesla navigation took me right to the parking structure that the charger is located in, which I didnt know was located there... so I dont know what else they could have done. It took me to the parking structure entrance after navigating me through the mall parking lots etc.

EDIT: ok got to the end of the thread. I do remember clicking the supercharger button on the map and seeing that it was on the third floor. I still was impressed that it took me to the correct parking structure.

My home is only about 2.5 miles or so from that mall, but the super charger is surprisingly busy, at least to me, for a "smaller" city like temecula. I went there 3 times while waiting for my home charger to be installed. Each time, I noticed tesla's PARKED there, not connected, but using them as parking spots. When I was charging I actually saw someone pull up, back in, not connect their model S, and get out to go to dinner.

I was really disappointed, actually. They were taking up a super charger spot without it being reported in the app because they were not connected.

I think because its at the mall, this may be more common. Like I said, It was disappointing... Not sure why I expected better courtesy toward each other from tesla drivers but I did.

Last edited:
What ever happened to this from the original SuperCharge unveiling?

0b982d57-1f39-4071-9863-3caf18e992e4-jpeg.364748

The actual monolith used in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

435bb30d375a511fba0565b305a8e9ab.jpg

Last edited:
Reply to:
jjrandorin, Another BMW convert from Temecula

Congratulation for finding the Supercharger at the Temecula Mall.
Just bear in mind that too frequent use of superchargers is bad for your health. All experts are recommending to regularly charge at slower chargers (at home or other) in order to keep your battery pack happy. See : THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO CHARGING

Thanks for the information. I knew about the information about super chargers, and I had home charging installed (a tesla wall connector attached to a 60 amp circuit). Its not quite as simple as that is laid out though. One only has to look at all of the threads here about charging, and " why do I have to leave it plugged in" and how many times is too many for supercharging, and " why cant I charge it to 100% all the time!!!" to notice that.

Tesla itself is not "clear" on that subject since they sell these cars to people who cant home charge for some reason or another (apartment, no access), and tell people "just supercharge" so....

I only plan on supercharging if I am road tripping somewhere (very infrequent) or somewhere where I am doing business and could use the charge to continue about my day.

About the supercharger in this city in general, I am not surprised there are a lot of tela's out here. The city is close to north county san diego (I work in north county san diego), and is a commuter city for that area with more affordable homes. The mall is a nice mall (and a large one) with something like 4 or 5 shopping centers located AROUND the mall, as well as the mall itself, with plenty of shops, restaurants etc. Its the perfect location for a super charger, as it is between san diego and Riverside. Living here, there is a sea of BMWs, Mercedes, Audis, and nice honda's, toyotas etc. Its "soccer family" central, lol.

So, its a nice place to have a supercharger. I probably wont use it now that I have home charging, since I live here. I feel like the original intent of supercharging was not for everyone to charge at them permanently... it was for those who "needed to" to do so, either because they wanted to be an early EV adopter and couldnt charge at home, or because they were on a trip.

As more tesla owners came / come online, I think the original intent is getting lost, and some people will do just about anything to get something "free". There is a post here about someone plugging in at work on 120 to add 40 miles of range to basically save $1.50 or so. I dont want to be a "part of the problem" regarding supercharger overcrodwding so I am only going to use them "as needed" vs trying to get $7 of free electricity from tesla, even though its very close to my house, and I pass the mall on my way home so its not out of the way at all.

Reactions: gilscales
I found a Tesla Supercharger station in our rental ICE in Ireland by accident while on vacation there last year. How hard could it be? :D

Was it really a Tesla Supercharger or a Tesla Destination Charger?

May be you could add it's location using PlugShare or other EV Maps apps and Websites.

Note: I was curious about the Ireland's Superchargers locations.

Here is the list, from North to South, of the current and future Superchargers.
The current one are all 8 superchargers, available 24/7, up to 120kW
Going from Belfast to Dublin and Dublin to Limerick is about two hours drive.

Lisburn / Belfast (2019)

Castlebellingham - Northbound Supercharger
Castlebellingham - Southbound Supercharger

Enfield / Dublin (2019)

Ballacolla Supercharger

Birdhill Supercharger

2018 Tesla SC EU Ireland .jpg

It could have been either Bellacolla or Birdhill we went by both places. Ireland is only 150 miles wide so you could drive across and back on one charge in an LR. But like I said we were driving a rental ICE on vacation (very nice place to vaca BTW.)

Although the car still had 130 miles of charge on it when we got there, enough to get home safely, we decided to recharge in a Temecula's Promonade shopping center before we hit the road back.

It took me some time to find the bloody Tesla supercharger, as it was "hidden" on the 3rd floor of the big and busy parking structure. There were no signs anywhere the the charger are there until we climbed up there and "bumped" into it.
Happy end- we charged within 40 minutes, while walking around at the nice and big shopping center.
TESLA--- PLEASE MARK THE SUPERCHARGERS LOCATION SO THAT WE WANT WASTE TIME DRIVING AROUND...

Apparently, it happens to other visitors to Temecula too- see the video clip here- especially the surprising end from the 9:25 minute point!
A bit of advice to the newbies - if you think its going to be close in terms of making it to a charger - SLOW DOWN! The range is calculated at highway speeds so at 45-50 you have greater range than shown and less wind resistance. On the S, possibly same on the 3, there is a range setting which cuts down on heat/AC. (At least it's on my classic '14 S). Hills, rain, snow, cold all reduce range by up to 25-35%. Not sure Tesla tells you this but be aware. That guy is lucky - apparently the earliest models would "brick" or not be able to recharge if they ran down to nothing. Happy driving!

Reactions: NeverFollow
A bit of advice to the newbies - if you think its going to be close in terms of making it to a charger - SLOW DOWN!

Or find a big truck and set your follow distance to 1. I don't make a habit of it, but it saved my trip last week.

I was in Portland Oregon, it was 7:30am, and I needed to be in Seattle before 11am. Only 3 hours drive, but I was at 39% battery. In car nav suggested charging in Vancouver, but I knew my battery was cold and charging would not be quick enough. I set the nav to the Centralia WA charger, and was getting "keep speed under 65 to reach destination". Found a big-rig truck, and was able to make it to the supercharger with 6% left. Supercharging added 45% in 19 minutes and I made it to my destination with 6 minutes to spare!

• Disagree

This is where a better addressing system is needed: what3words app come to mind, even it lacks elevation information
What3words - Wikipedia

• Informative
Imagine my surprise when, after following my Tesla’s map directions carefully, I still made several wrong turns in search of the Savannah Georgia SuperCharger. It was, I kid you not, INSIDE the Savannah airport parking garage. We had to get a ticket to enter, but did not have to pay upon exiting; just turned the ticket in. The airport terminal is about 300 yards away and has restrooms, of course, but the eating choices were very limited.

Or find a big truck and set your follow distance to 1. I don't make a habit of it, but it saved my trip last week.

I was in Portland Oregon, it was 7:30am, and I needed to be in Seattle before 11am. Only 3 hours drive, but I was at 39% battery.

In car nav suggested charging in Vancouver, but I knew my battery was cold and charging would not be quick enough.
I set the nav to the Centralia WA charger, and was getting "keep speed under 65 to reach destination".

Found a big-rig truck, and was able to make it to the supercharger with 6% left.
Supercharging added 45% in 19 minutes and I made it to my destination with 6 minutes to spare!
Use this at the very very very last resource.

Following a truck is the best way to crack your windshield.

Best is to always try to keep your car as charged as possible,
in case there is an emergency and you need to rush to go somewhere,
or there is an accident and you need to make a detour
or the weather get bad and the traffic is going very slow.

The availability to charge is still an important draw back for any electric vehicles,
especially if you cannot charger at home.

Reactions: smatthew

I believe it says floor 3 on the supercharger info box. I overlooked it myself initially.

Imagine my surprise when, after following my Tesla’s map directions carefully,
I still made several wrong turns in search of the Savannah Georgia SuperCharger.

It was, I kid you not, INSIDE the Savannah airport parking garage.
We had to get a ticket to enter, but did not have to pay upon exiting; just turned the ticket in.

The airport terminal is about 300 yards away and has restrooms,
of course, but the eating choices were very limited.

It is interesting to compare the information given by Tesla "FindUs" and "PlugShare":
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tesla.com Findus - Savannah, GA Supercharger
Savannah, GA Supercharger
Savannah/ Hilton Head International Airport
400 Airways Avenue
Savannah, GA 31408

Roadside Assistance: (877) 798-3752
Charging: 6 Superchargers, available 24/7, up to 120kW
Restrooms: Airport
Wifi: Public Wifi inside Terminal
Restaurants: Nathan’s - Pizza Hut - Phillips Seafood - Gelato Gelato - Starbucks

Parking: Economy Lot: - Each Hour $1.00 - Max Each 24 Hrs. $8.00
Tesla customers park free for 2 hours.
Parking tickets can be validated at Information Desk on first floor of Airport or with Airport Security

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PlugShare - Savannah Supercharger
Address: Savannah Supercharger
Phone: +1 877-798-3752

Cost: No charge. Attendant has you write name and number on ticket or go inside the terminal,
head to the information desk to validate the parking,
it's free for 3 hours. Show them the app or key fob.

Hours: Open 24/7 - Accessible 24 hours / 7 days a week, Parking free if you can get ticket validated before 11pm.

Description: I-95 exit 104.
6 Superchargers are located at the Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport,
on ground floor of parking structure in economy lot, about 50 yards from exit tolls.

After entering and getting ticket, drive through South Deck lot, cross road, enter North Deck and chargers will be on left.

Parking is free when validated at information kiosk, 800 feet away inside main terminal.
Information desk hours are 8:30am - 12:00am.
Note: the Information Desk needs to see your fob or the app on your phone to validate your ticket for 3 hours.

Several dining options are inside airport terminal (on the unsecured side) including a Starbucks,
and ice cream shop and the Southbound Tap House restaurant.

Reactions: Exscite

The availability to charge is still an important draw back for any electric vehicles,

You are correct. I was on vacation, had a deadline to meet, was not properly prepared, and I decided the risk was worth it this time.

Sure, especially if they don't have proper mud flaps in place (a few types of trucks aren't even legally required to) or they are a vehicle type that tends to have debris fall of them (such as bucket trucks that haul loose loads, like gravel etc).

Frankly the worst are lifted pick-ups, as they largely don't require mud flaps and can have fairly aggressive groves in their tires that'll pick up and throw larger stones. They're also often non-professionals (or only quasi-professional) and will have lose items in their box. :/

However it doesn't need to be a large truck. There's notable reduction in air drag behind even standard crossovers when using an AP follow distance between 5 7. For cars lower profile than that you can still get noticeable effect if your follow setting is lower (assuming good conditions).

P.S. The most curious thing about it all is that the vehicles that tend to throw the most turbulence off behind them are vehicle carrier trailers. It can create odd eddies that buffet your vehicle around.