Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 1.22.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my two powerwalls for about a month now. I was upgraded from 1.17.1 to 1.22.1 a week or so ago (at least that's when I noticed it). I've been playing around with the various modes of operation and just a few days ago I integrated my system with pvoutput.org so I can better track my usage. With TOU cost savings configured I noticed a very large energy draw from my house when switching from shoulder-peak to peak (2pm - 8pm) as seen here Free Gas 5.200kW | Live Output and Free Gas 5.200kW | Live Output (click on the rightmost little grey box under the date to see the extended data). Last night I changed from cost savings to balanced. Today's data is here Free Gas 5.200kW | Live Output With balanced I see normal home load between 2 - 8pm.

When I first noticed the large home load I turned off all breakers except for the one that powered my router. The load was still present. I checked SCE's website and looked at my hourly usage as seen by Edison and see a large negative usage, much larger than my solar can generate. What I think is happening is when the powerwall enters the peak period all solar plus all battery minus home load get pushed back to the grid. Not quite what I was expecting.

I talked to tech support and the guy thinks I may have a faulty meter in the gateway.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I've had my two powerwalls for about a month now. I was upgraded from 1.17.1 to 1.22.1 a week or so ago (at least that's when I noticed it). I've been playing around with the various modes of operation and just a few days ago I integrated my system with pvoutput.org so I can better track my usage. With TOU cost savings configured I noticed a very large energy draw from my house when switching from shoulder-peak to peak (2pm - 8pm) as seen here Free Gas 5.200kW | Live Output and Free Gas 5.200kW | Live Output (click on the rightmost little grey box under the date to see the extended data). Last night I changed from cost savings to balanced. Today's data is here Free Gas 5.200kW | Live Output With balanced I see normal home load between 2 - 8pm.

When I first noticed the large home load I turned off all breakers except for the one that powered my router. The load was still present. I checked SCE's website and looked at my hourly usage as seen by Edison and see a large negative usage, much larger than my solar can generate. What I think is happening is when the powerwall enters the peak period all solar plus all battery minus home load get pushed back to the grid. Not quite what I was expecting.

I talked to tech support and the guy thinks I may have a faulty meter in the gateway.

Sounds just a little bit like what I had when my Powerwalls started dumping to the grid. Turned out that one of the CT clamps was on the wrong wire.

//TB

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I would agree except he said he checked the SCE website and it shows a larger than normal negative flow. If it was just the CT clips flipped or on the wrong way, there wouldn't be any actual power sent to the grid right?

I had this weird situation originally where the powerwalls would actually start dumping to the grid. I was able to see that in real time from Wattvision/Rainforest EAGLE. This was early on when I had the system installed and there were other issues, too, like not having a very recent firmware. That CT clamp was the last pieces of the puzzle to get things working flawlessly.

I had this weird situation originally where the powerwalls would actually start dumping to the grid. I was able to see that in real time from Wattvision/Rainforest EAGLE. This was early on when I had the system installed and there were other issues, too, like not having a very recent firmware. That CT clamp was the last pieces of the puzzle to get things working flawlessly.
Very interesting, hopefully that's all it is because that's a very easy fix. I've moved mine around trying to solve my loads.

Is this - the CT clamps - something I can check? As I said before, I have two powerwalls for a whole house backup.
You can read an investigation I did into mine here:

Neurio for new breakers

Basically they need to be oriented a certain way and on certain wires. You can't just move them to different wires as it also requires software changes. But if it's installed incorrectly maybe moving them will help. As always, this stuff is dangerous so don't mess around in there unless you are comfortable with what you are doing.

I had a couple of friends over to look at my system (one is about to have solar installed). We took off the panel covers and I took some photos. 1st is the subpanel with a breaker for each powerwall + a breaker for solar PV, 2nd is old main panel, 3rd is new backed up loads (whole house), 4th is gateway.

IMG_20180928_145644.jpg IMG_20180928_145710.jpg IMG_20180928_145659.jpg IMG_20180928_145728.jpg

I skimmed through the thread referenced above and I think all is OK with the placement of the sensors. Looks to me like there's CT clamps on the solar (1st photo) and the backed up load in the gateway (4th photo). Looks like there's a third sensor wire going to the powerwalls. I didn't open up the raceway below the panels.

Still waiting for Tesla to get back to me about my problem. I'm guessing a configuration error.

I had a couple of friends over to look at my system (one is about to have solar installed). We took off the panel covers and I took some photos. 1st is the subpanel with a breaker for each powerwall + a breaker for solar PV, 2nd is old main panel, 3rd is new backed up loads (whole house), 4th is gateway.

View attachment 339553 View attachment 339554 View attachment 339555 View attachment 339556

I skimmed through the thread referenced above and I think all is OK with the placement of the sensors. Looks to me like there's CT clamps on the solar (1st photo) and the backed up load in the gateway (4th photo). Looks like there's a third sensor wire going to the powerwalls. I didn't open up the raceway below the panels.

Still waiting for Tesla to get back to me about my problem. I'm guessing a configuration error.
So you have a whole house backup, I think? And that 40 amp breaker with the CT clips is your solar feed-in breaker? Looks pretty simple. Everything in the backup gateway should monitor everything, then solar should be monitored separately. You could try flipping the wires they are on or reversing the direction of the CT clips but with my semi uneducated view it looks ok.

FYI I just got 1.23.0 today.