Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware on Differing Headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For context, recently I had an accident where a piece of wood came and hit my driver side headlight. I sadly had ordered a 2023 global headlight off of eBay and did it DIY.

The problem is that my OEM headlights are reflecter headlights and as a result, eBay headlight did not work. My question is if I bought another global headlight for the right side and did a firmware update, would both of them work? Also is the global headlights broken as a result of me installing it into the car and doing a firmware update on it.

Solution
There’s a flag in the config that needs to be set, so your car actually „knows“ what type of headlight it has. Since there’s no official retrofit, you can only try to be nice and ask your nearest service center for help. The openly available version of toolbox won‘t get you far here unfortunately.
There’s a flag in the config that needs to be set, so your car actually „knows“ what type of headlight it has. Since there’s no official retrofit, you can only try to be nice and ask your nearest service center for help. The openly available version of toolbox won‘t get you far here unfortunately.

Upvote 0
Solution
Alight, I'm just worried they won't help since I did it DIY.

Upvote 0
Skip the SC and find a Tesla certified repair center. Ask them. Bet they will take the money and likely sign a waiver if it breaks other *sugar* it’s on you but should be just code

That’s my plan in the coming month. Will order the matrix light and have my buddy who own a repair center code them in.

Upvote 0