Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First 3rd party extended warranty for Tesla’s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I appreciate the additional information but for the sake of this argument let's say, that god forbid, the xcelerateauto warranty company stops doing business and disappears. What would that mean to customers who paid for this warranty with regards to it being "backed by Endurance Dealer Services?" Is another third party then guaranteed to step in and honor warranty claims?

We'd love to consider buying your warranty but want to be absolutely sure we will not face a situation where the warranty company disappears and any claims are therefore not honored.

Also for warranty claims, do you directly pay Tesla?

From the website:
How are repair claims paid?
For Tesla Owners, once the service center is completed with your work, provide our phone number 877-302-1715 to your service advisor for payment and we will take it from there. For all other EV’s, the claims number is 877-414-0134

I appreciate the additional information but for the sake of this argument let's say, that god forbid, the xcelerateauto warranty company stops doing business and disappears. What would that mean to customers who paid for this warranty with regards to it being "backed by Endurance Dealer Services?" Is another third party then guaranteed to step in and honor warranty claims?

We'd love to consider buying your warranty but want to be absolutely sure we will not face a situation where the warranty company disappears and any claims are therefore not honored.

Also for warranty claims, do you directly pay Tesla?

@PhilDavid We partnered with Endurance and AmTrust to create and manage X-Care. Even if Xcelerate was not around, that would not affect you or any other customer in any way. Claim calls are administered by Endurance, and claims are paid by AmTrust.

To expand on payment of claims, your claim with us starts when you call our Tesla claims hotline. We will then call Tesla on your behalf to relay all the vehicle issues along with detailed information for how the payment will occur and letting them know you have X-Care. At this point, all of the info will be in their system. Once your service work is complete, we will email the service center the credit card information for the total amount minus $100 deductible.

@PhilDavid We partnered with Endurance and AmTrust to create and manage X-Care. Even if Xcelerate was not around, that would not affect you or any other customer in any way. Claim calls are administered by Endurance, and claims are paid by AmTrust.

To expand on payment of claims, your claim with us starts when you call our Tesla claims hotline. We will then call Tesla on your behalf to relay all the vehicle issues along with detailed information for how the payment will occur and letting them know you have X-Care. At this point, all of the info will be in their system. Once your service work is complete, we will email the service center the credit card information for the total amount minus $100 deductible.

When you refer to Endurance, is it the same company reviewed on this Web page? Some of the reviews are cause for concern...

Endurance Auto Warranty Reviews - Is it a Scam or Legit?

I'm sure many Tesla customers like us would not have an issue with how much you are charging for the warranty but the only concern would be to make sure warranty repairs are honored and the company that is offering or administering the warranty does not suddenly stop doing business and disappear. Is the warranty backed by a solvent/trustworthy insurance company that can step in in such an event?

Personally, I don't think I'll be inclined to purchase a warranty to cover potential repairs costing a maximum of several thousand dollars. Self-insuring is usually the way to go, in my opinion.

However, I hope that you and others will consider offering coverage on the battery pack. The battery/drivetrain warranty on our 2012 Model S will expire next December. Some of the early S60s are probably already out of warranty, as the original S60 battery warranty was capped at 125K miles as I recall. The Model 3 also has a mileage cap, so high mileage cars may run out of warranty within as few as three or four years.

While I believe that relatively few cars will experience pack failures within the first few years out of warranty, such a failure would be "catastrophic" from the standpoint of the value of the car. Offering an extension on Tesla's battery warranty could provide comfort to a number of potential used-car buyers, thus giving support to the EV market as a whole.

Alternatively, Tesla could decide to substantially lower its prices on pack replacements. If a pack replacement could be done for only $10K, then it would make sense to keep an old Tesla on the road even after its original pack fails.

When you refer to Endurance, is it the same company reviewed on this Web page? Some of the reviews are cause for concern...

Endurance Auto Warranty Reviews - Is it a Scam or Legit?

I'm sure many Tesla customers like us would not have an issue with how much you are charging for the warranty but the only concern would be to make sure warranty repairs are honored and the company that is offering or administering the warranty does not suddenly stop doing business and disappear. Is the warranty backed by a solvent/trustworthy insurance company that can step in in such an event?

Endurance has a wide range of different types of coverage options for many different vehicles. Some have coverage for certain items while others are more robust. I cannot speak upon the ICE coverage items as they fall in a completely different category nor did we personally work on any other coverage outside of X-Care.

Please see this link as it has many more reviews. Top 3,234 Reviews and Complaints about Endurance Auto Warranty

Yes, the insurance company that X-Care is backed by is AmTrust Financial. Property and Casualty Insurance | AmTrust Financial very large global financial company that is publicly traded.

Last edited:
Personally, I don't think I'll be inclined to purchase a warranty to cover potential repairs costing a maximum of several thousand dollars. Self-insuring is usually the way to go, in my opinion.

However, I hope that you and others will consider offering coverage on the battery pack. The battery/drivetrain warranty on our 2012 Model S will expire next December. Some of the early S60s are probably already out of warranty, as the original S60 battery warranty was capped at 125K miles as I recall. The Model 3 also has a mileage cap, so high mileage cars may run out of warranty within as few as three or four years.

While I believe that relatively few cars will experience pack failures within the first few years out of warranty, such a failure would be "catastrophic" from the standpoint of the value of the car. Offering an extension on Tesla's battery warranty could provide comfort to a number of potential used-car buyers, thus giving support to the EV market as a whole.

Alternatively, Tesla could decide to substantially lower its prices on pack replacements. If a pack replacement could be done for only $10K, then it would make sense to keep an old Tesla on the road even after its original pack fails.

Several thousands of dollars would justify purchasing X-Care if you were to buy it early enough (cheaper to purchase early in the life of the vehicle rather than wait when the vehicle is older and already has a significant amount of miles)

We are absolutely looking at the possibilities in doing so. We know that is something that is on the horizon for many Model S and Model X customers. We will be sure to keep the TMC community posted with any news regarding battery and drivetrain coverage.

It will be interesting to see the cost of battery packs when they have both they have Shanghai Gigafactory up and running...

Reactions: abasile
Based on some feedback from some TMC members, we just released some new coverage options that, in most scenarios, priced cheaper than the ESA.

What's new?
  • 2018-2019 Model S, Model X and Model 3 with up to 30,000 miles
    • Now have a 5 year and 125,000 mile option. If you are in the category, then you will likely go through your factory warranty quickly and want to provide coverage well above 100k miles
  • 2014-2017 Model S, Model X, and Model 3
    • We added a 6 year and 75,000 mile option. This is great for owners that have two years left on their factory warranty and looking to own their car for a while. You can now purchase this X-Care coverage option that is priced cheaper to the ESA (in most scenarios). No need to wait until you are on the bridge of warranty expiration.
  • Live in a new states
    • We are now live in Hawaii, Maryland, Minnesota, and Oklahoma! We have a lot of people waiting in other states that we will reach out to once we are live in those states.

Use Referral code: XcelerateTMC at checkout for a $100 discount!

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Based on some feedback from some TMC members, we just released some new coverage options that, in most scenarios, priced cheaper than the ESA.

What's new?
  • 2018-2019 Model S, Model X and Model 3 with up to 30,000 miles
    • Now have a 5 year and 125,000 mile option. If you are in the category, then you will likely go through your factory warranty quickly and want to provide coverage well above 100k miles
  • 2014-2017 Model S, Model X, and Model 3
    • We added a 6 year and 75,000 mile option. This is great for owners that have two years left on their factory warranty and looking to own their car for a while. You can now purchase this X-Care coverage option that is priced cheaper to the ESA (in most scenarios). No need to wait until you are on the bridge of warranty expiration.
  • Live in a new states
    • We are now live in Hawaii, Maryland, Minnesota, and Oklahoma! We have a lot of people waiting in other states that we will reach out to once we are live in those states.

Use Referral code: XcelerateTMC at checkout for a $100 discount!

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks so much for all your efforts to provide a quality warranty product for Tesla customers!

Just got off the phone with them. Salesman seemed really nice.

I’ve actually been somewhat stressing since my 3 week old 3rd party purchased 2015 P85D just hit 50,000 (I put in the final warranty claims last week and the ranger was out this morning)

I officially don’t qualify for the ESA, but did not try to contact Tesla to see if they would sell it to me. However, I don’t want to quote their price, but these folks seem to be competitive with the Tesla cost. Still not sure if I’ll buy it, but the rep said he’d give me the pricing tiers for mileage vs. cost.

Also, I’m in Maryland and he said they aren’t licensed here yet, but will be soon.
Did you purchase it? If so, how is it working out??

No, I ended up taking a chance on moving past 50k without warranty support. I had one mobile appointment covering a part they were supposed to replace at my last SC trip. He did that and more. i asked about payment and he said, “all this stuff probably happened before your warranty was up anyway”

So I’m up to 57k and no issues.

How about the
Inverter? Is that covered by X-Care?

Hi @venussongs,

All Tesla vehicles maintain of the remainder of their separate battery/drivetrain 8 year warranty. This includes 3 components; Battery, Motor and Inverter.

X-Care was built to mirror Tesla's Extended Warranty (called ESA; Extended Service Agreement), which does not include the 8 year battery/drivetrain warranty nor does X-Care as that would still be covered.

X-Care would cover almost everything around that such as, but not limited to; MCU, Instrument cluster, window regulators, Sensors, cameras, harnesses, air suspension/suspension, pano roof issues, door handles, falcon wing doors issues, charging issues, charge port doors, your internal heating systems/AC system (HVAC Systems), Electronic controls module, and the list goes on, all of which would be covered under X-Care.

Reactions: scottf200
Hi @venussongs,

All Tesla vehicles maintain of the remainder of their separate battery/drivetrain 8 year warranty. This includes 3 components; Battery, Motor and Inverter.

X-Care was built to mirror Tesla's Extended Warranty (called ESA; Extended Service Agreement), which does not include the 8 year battery/drivetrain warranty nor does X-Care as that would still be covered.

X-Care would cover almost everything around that such as, but not limited to; MCU, Instrument cluster, window regulators, Sensors, cameras, harnesses, air suspension/suspension, pano roof issues, door handles, falcon wing doors issues, charging issues, charge port doors, your internal heating systems/AC system (HVAC Systems), Electronic controls module, and the list goes on, all of which would be covered under X-Care.

how about the Master Charger Inverter? Is that covered under X-Care warranty?