Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First 3rd party extended warranty for Tesla’s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ours is the first vehicle service agreement with the contract specifically written for electric vehicles. Others were written for ICE cars but tried to lump in EVs. We designed this contract from the ground up and reinvented the claims process so it can still be supported by Tesla Service. Thats what make us different than the others you might have heard of. But I agree - the more the merrier since that will be better for the entire community.

Oh I get it. You are the first one that specifically excludes the parts that makes the car move.

I don't think you would ever do that on an ICE warranty plan.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: 1375mlm
Oh I get it. You are the first one that specifically excludes the parts that makes the car move.

I don't think you would ever do that on an ICE warranty plan.

Luckily, most Tesla's are still under a battery/drivetrain warranty. However, we are discussing expanding to those components as well. But just as other vehicles have different drivetrain warranties than the bumper-to-bumper, as does Tesla (see their warranty booklet as source) the limited warranty does not cover the battery/drivetrain nor does the ESA. That is covered by the seperate battery/drivetrain warranty. We ran with the same methodology.

View attachment 377441

Since I'm driving about 45K a year currently, this would last me a little over a year.

You are also driving 4x what the annual average miles would be? Your car would be more expensive to insure than one that only drives 12K per year.

Luckily, most Tesla's are still under a battery/drivetrain warranty. However, we are discussing expanding to those components as well. But just as other vehicles have different drivetrain warranties than the bumper-to-bumper, as does Tesla (see their warranty booklet as source) the limited warranty does not cover the battery/drivetrain nor does the ESA. That is covered by the seperate battery/drivetrain warranty. We ran with the same methodology.

It would clarify things quite a bit if you mentioned that Tesla would be primary for anything they cover. I think you would have different premiums depending on if battery, motors etc needed to be covered?

While it would be intuitive to some of us, assumptions tend to lead to trouble and misunderstandings.

Have you tried this page? X-Care - Xcelerate Auto

If it doesn't work for you, please let me know.

I don't think I know how to user your website...

upload_2019-2-15_1-15-28.png

You have to be careful with 3rd party warranties. Sometime back I purchased a paint shield warranty (think that's what it was) for a Honda Accord I owned years ago. The company went out of business. Pretty sure this was a company Honda at the time kind of promoted to new owners.
I am pretty sure it was your local dealer that was pushing that company, not Honda themselves.

You have to be careful with 3rd party warranties. Sometime back I purchased a paint shield warranty (think that's what it was) for a Honda Accord I owned years ago. The company went out of business. Pretty sure this was a company Honda at the time kind of promoted to new owners.
What's worse is that warranty companies typically sell the warranties to underwriting companies. The underwriting company goes broke and your warranty is useless, sometimes this happens while you still have payments left to make to the warranty company that sold the policy. Once lost, consumer trust is very hard to get back.

Looked at the exclusion list. One entry is this:

“Powertrain and drivetrain are not covered – manufacturer warranty carries over to new owners)”

The problem is that Tesla does not have a drivetrain or powertrain warranty, just the drive unit, leaving a big hole here for drive shafts, hubs, wheel bearings, etc., however broadly they define this (and it doesn’t say).

You are also driving 4x what the annual average miles would be? Your car would be more expensive to insure than one that only drives 12K per year.

My point is this is significantly more expensive the ESA from 50K to 100K miles and isn't bumper to bumper like the ESA. Even the ESA is way too expensive. I would have purchased it had they not nearly doubled the price from the original $2500.

Last edited:
Mine came out to be 6K ish for additional 50K miles 4 years. The factory extended is 4.2K I believe. All in all, like all warranty, they are in the business of making money. Most of the things covered are roughly the cost of warranty. So you will probably break even if one of the items they covered breaks within the 4 years 50K additional miles assuming reasonable miles. If 2 things break then you win. Otherwise it is a loss. For those who have high annual miles, I would skip the warranty and roll the dice. It is expensive to keep running but i think going forward this will be the nature of owning a high tech car regardless if it runs on petrol or electric.

The only real solution to high cost repairs is tesla or car companies in general to mass produce replacement parts, and build cars not only for low cost manufacture but also low cost repair.

But overall good to see others entering the business of warranty. More competition is always good.

I don't think I know how to user your website...

View attachment 377578
"REIMBURSE you a maximum of two hundred dollars ($200.00) per day for three (5) days,"

Um, which is it $200.00 per day for "three" or "(5)" days ?

I have fixed the typo. We switched it from 3 to 5 days. 5 days per day total - will correct on my end for the future. Thank you for the feedback.

Reactions: sorka
Great to see another alternative, will seriously consider when my current warranty expires since I bought from a dealer, but it sounds m from some posts that a lot of things aren’t covered neither by Tesla or this, as David pointed out above. Hopefully you get that resolved in a few months :)

Thank you! We are happy to announce this offering today for the entire Tesla community. We too feel this is a major step of maturity in the EV and Tesla space.

Product Highlights
- $100 Deductible
- Exclusionary Coverage
- Highlighted Items; MCU, Instrument Cluster, Internal Charger, HVAC, Door Handles/Falcon Wing Doors, Sensors/Cameras, Air Suspension, Sunroof, etc.
- Emergency 24/7 Roadside Assistance
- Trip Interruption Coverage

See, learn, and purchase X-Care EV Protection directly online at www.xcelerateauto.com/x-care

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to [email protected]

Thank you so much for offering this product to Tesla owners! I am very interested in this product but have a few important questions...

Does this warranty offer the same type of coverage as the Tesla ESA?

For example the Tesla ESA covers the Air Suspension and drive-train components such as half shafts. Do you cover these components? The coverage of these components is essential as just about all manufacturer Extended Warranties cover these components so I wanted to check and make sure.

Reactions: KidDoc