Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First car inspection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@CharleyBC, I find I do use my blinkers all the time now, all the time. California drivers are overall very good on freeways, native terrain, they trained on that. And it never ceases to amaze me that all these speeding projectiles flow, every day, like on a conveyor belt, even handling the occasional yahoo. Why don't they just crash into each other and coalesce into a big burning pile of metal and plastic? Those Humans aren't half bad.

But two SAD California habits that suck: hogging the passing lane (actually plodding along in any lane they end up in), and not informing others of one's intentions by using the blinkers.

One great thing about NOA in Mad Max mode is that it remedies both, and handles passing beautifully. It determines which lane is running better and changes dynamically, but it will never settle in the passing lane unless 1) that lane is moving faster than the others and 2) there's no sensible alternative. It also seems to react to cars coming up from behind wanting to go faster, but maybe I'm imagining it. It IS getting harder to tell which of us initiated which move, we're becoming a hybrid creature. The way it decides who to slow down for and let through, and when to get very pushy is really impressive in V10.

In January Nicki was driving like a 15 year old, then a hesitant but smoother 16 year old. The 17 year old stage was brief. Now it's more like a rebellious 18. At this rate it's going to be on Social Security before my loan is up.

I had a young passenger today who sells cars, OTTs, you know, those insipid Other Than Teslas. He was very quiet during a 40 mile NOA drive over multiple freeways, bridges, cloverleafs. It wasn't fear - by now I can easily tell irrational cold sweat from irrational respect. And from observant, logical and fully considered ... envy. As we got to our "Navigate to" destination, and he was getting out, he just said "nice".

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: KenC and alexGS
I had my tires rotated recently by a nearby independent shop. In general, they knew about the car (I know they've had some interaction with others), but the techs on staff that day were afraid of getting in it :), so they had me pull it in and out of the bay. They utilized my lift adapters as well.

• Funny
Reactions: MichaelP90DL
We only have to get a smog check every other year.
And that only begins at year 6 of ownership.

There was a time though, years ago in California where we did have vehicle inspections. In fact, the local LEO's would have roadside inspections and they would waive cars into the area that were driving down the road. They'd check it for anything that would make the car dangerous, even down to chrome hanging off the car that could come off or hit another vehicle. Ahhh, those were the days.

Reactions: Ciaopec
I agree with your first sentence.

Nevertheless, software needs updating, whether it's the responsibility of the shop's manager to update, or the Valvoline chain to update and populate to the stores, or the state of North Carolina to auto update the computers of all the inspection stations.

From the original post:
Statement from shop employee: "I guess we need to update our software?"
I think he meant as a concept. Most state inspection software is centrally controlled as it is in Virginia by the State Police where the amount charged is fixed at $20 for the safety inspection.

No idea what other states do, but I would assume the same. Also weird with how long Tesla has been around, we still get ‘other’ :D

Interesting perhaps in VA now is that cars are ‘sniffed’ on the ramps to highways to see if they pass the emissions check. If you do, you don’t need to do the emissions test, of course. We went through that recently and I was telling my GF I wonder if they were smart enough to exclude BEVs. I guess so, we didn’t get the ‘you passed’ letter in the mail!

I think he meant as a concept. Most state inspection software is centrally controlled as it is in Virginia by the State Police where the amount charged is fixed at $20 for the safety inspection.

No idea what other states do, but I would assume the same. Also weird with how long Tesla has been around, we still get ‘other’ :D

Interesting perhaps in VA now is that cars are ‘sniffed’ on the ramps to highways to see if they pass the emissions check. If you do, you don’t need to do the emissions test, of course. We went through that recently and I was telling my GF I wonder if they were smart enough to exclude BEVs. I guess so, we didn’t get the ‘you passed’ letter in the mail!

NC has been $30 for an ICE inspections that included emissions testing with OBD II device. I believe they have waived emissions testing on new cars for the first 3 years now since my wife’s 2017 Honda Pilot only had the basic testing and was only $13.60. My Tesla was only $13.60 for the basic inspection.

NC’s inspection software is controlled by the State Highway Patrol and the NC DMV, similar to Virginia. You have to have an inspection in order to renew your registration and this inspection is uploaded to the DMV electronically. So it would be up to the DMV to update the software and not Valvoline.

It was interesting that the DMV software did not include Tesla but the Valvoline software did. The Valvoline software has all of the data for the cars for replacement parts, etc. The tech showed me where he had selected my 2018 Tesla Model 3 in this software. When he looked up parts like windshield wiper blades it had no information though. He had to go in and select NA for items like engines, transmissions, etc. :)

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
NC has been $30 for an ICE inspections that included emissions testing with OBD II device. I believe they have waived emissions testing on new cars for the first 3 years now since my wife’s 2017 Honda Pilot only had the basic testing and was only $13.60. My Tesla was only $13.60 for the basic inspection.

NC’s inspection software is controlled by the State Highway Patrol and the NC DMV, similar to Virginia. You have to have an inspection in order to renew your registration and this inspection is uploaded to the DMV electronically. So it would be up to the DMV to update the software and not Valvoline.

It was interesting that the DMV software did not include Tesla but the Valvoline software did. The Valvoline software has all of the data for the cars for replacement parts, etc. The tech showed me where he had selected my 2018 Tesla Model 3 in this software. When he looked up parts like windshield wiper blades it had no information though. He had to go in and select NA for items like engines, transmissions, etc. :)
Almost wonder if there’s some outdated list all the states use. :D Probably not, wonder when the last other new auto manufacturer was created?

• Funny
Reactions: jdcollins5