Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[rebuilt title] Supercharger inspection failed due to jack point damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Gaijin Card

Supporting Member
Aug 19, 2023
Utah
I bought a 2021 M3P earlier this year with a rebuilt title and finally decided to bite the bullet and take it in for a supercharger inspection. I used the superchargers before the blacklist and frequently fast charge on other networks so I didn't expect any issues. Almost immediately after I dropped my car off, I received a message that they had to abort the inspection due to jack point damage. The only option to ever use a supercharger is a $13K battery replacement. For their 10 minutes of work Tesla benevolently lowered the inspection cost from $1,700 to $900. The entire thing is a racket to discourage people from buying rebuilt cars.

I'm not sure where the damage could have come from. I've had to jack the car up once to change a flat tire but can't imagine that I could have done this much damage. I searched and found the lawsuit surrounding jack point damage from the same factory (Fremont) and time period so it could also be that.

Has anyone heard any updates about the lawsuit? Is there anyway that I could have done this much damage just changing a flat?

Also, can some one please explain why damage to the jack point makes it unsafe to run a high voltage battery test? I realize that it's one part but don't get how it would make it unsafe to run tests given that there aren't any battery cells in the jack point. TIA!

Attachments

• ABD4C227-9586-4192-96C0-DE194D76EA13.jpeg
    ABD4C227-9586-4192-96C0-DE194D76EA13.jpeg
    504.3 KB · Views: 216
  • ACB80F0E-4206-4D6F-9711-18C52034CE9E.jpeg
    ACB80F0E-4206-4D6F-9711-18C52034CE9E.jpeg
    288.1 KB · Views: 161
Isn't that damage from tow truck attaching hooks (winch cables) to those holes? Seen several posts that looked similar.

I have seen some pictures like that too. I dont know why it would be surprising for a vehicle that has a rebuilt / salvage title to have been towed improperly or have damage to its tow hooks done by people who were unfamiliar with how to lift it properly.

In other words, I am not sure why the OP thinks the damage needed to have been done "when jacking up the car once to change a flat tire" instead of during the process of rebuilding the car.

Reactions: Adam3
I have seen some pictures like that too. I dont know why it would be surprising for a vehicle that has a rebuilt / salvage title to have been towed improperly or have damage to its tow hooks done by people who were unfamiliar with how to lift it properly.

In other words, I am not sure why the OP thinks the damage needed to have been done "when jacking up the car once to change a flat tire" instead of during the process of rebuilding the car.
Your account is new here, so I will point out that this website is not affiliated in any official way whatsoever with Tesla. You need to get Tesla to explain to this to you.

I understand. I’ve asked multiple Tesla SCs but haven’t received any answers that make logical sense. I was wondering if anyone knew.

I've seen plenty of rebuilt salvage stories both here and on the Infiniti Q50 forum. It too often ends in an empty wallet and heartbreak. Kinda falls along the line of "there is no such thing as a cheap used Mercedes".

But people still are bound and determined to do it. Looks like a bargain on paper.

"If you can't set a good example then set a terrible warning." __me

I understand. I’ve asked multiple Tesla SCs but haven’t received any answers that make logical sense. I was wondering if anyone knew.
I remember reading somewhere that they have a checklist and one of the criteria is mm of denting allowed. If you go past that point, you are automatically disqualified, they don't even have to do the rest of the tests. My guess is the general idea is that if the pack is dented past a certain point, there is a risk of components inside being displaced or damaged. Given a more detailed examination of the pack would require disassembling it, they would err on the side of caution in setting that requirement.

A car being pulled by the battery rails can seriously damage the pack. In this example, the MachE battery pack outright leaked, but it's easy to imagine the pack not damaged to the point of leaking, but deformed and can cause problems in the future (including fire).
Beware Of Flatbed Tow Trucks: Damaged Mach-E Battery Costs $28,000

They don't necessarily have to give you a logical explanation, the whole salvage inspection program was already an exception (previously all salvage has SC disabled regardless of level of damage). However, I would expect they would at least point to you which part of the checklist you failed and by how much (like how many mm of deflection or if there is a specific provision about jack point damage).