Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Day Thoughts: #1 -- You Don't Need the P85. The 85 is more than Plenty.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do any of you have the XM optional subscription? How does the sound compare to the other audio source choices in Model S?

I subscribe to XM on all of my cars, and on my computer/phone. I think it sounds fine in the MS. No better or worse than any of the other cars. I suppose if I didn't have the premium package I would just stream XM via bluetooth from the phone. But the integration to the display is nice and I'm glad I have it, and I would lose Internet connectivity more often from the phone than I lose XM reception (which is almost never). I like the Internet radio too, but mostly I'm listening to exclusive content on XM (Howard Stern, MLB, NFL, NHL, Doctor Radio, etc.)

I test drove both the standard and performance versions and wound up with the P85. I agree it's kind of silly money, but I'd make the same choice over and over again. As for the upgraded sound, I actually think it's pretty good--certainly not horrible! I center the audio one tick back and one tick to the right, which balances it better for me. Watch your input quality, though--may want to re-rip those CD's you ripped at 128kbps! I find the Slacker algorithms to be a bit of a mystery honestly--on my "U2 Radio" it's absolutely convinced that I really like only three other artists--INXS, Tom Petty, and Bowie. Of all the artists out there, why would it keep feeding me those? (and yes, I've used the "don't play" button enough it should know better!).

I ordered my Signature P85 with all the bells and whistles .... and I am 100% satisfied... would do it again

I didn't need a Model S... I could have purchased a Prius... but I did buy it and I am glad I did.

I set up the Sound system with all the settings on max and it sounds awesome... better than my Porsche and my wife's Lexus

Havent tried slacker... just my iPhone on bluetooth and it is more than I need

Just out of curiosity, is there a way to "dial down" the performance for situations where you need to lend or give the car to your kid, neighbor, or a valet, and so on? I don't own one (I can only wish at this point), but if I did, I would love to be able to hand it over to a valet and set the maximum speed to maybe 20mph, or let my kid use it but cut the performance in half.

Just out of curiosity, is there a way to "dial down" the performance for situations where you need to lend or give the car to your kid, neighbor, or a valet, and so on? I don't own one (I can only wish at this point), but if I did, I would love to be able to hand it over to a valet and set the maximum speed to maybe 20mph, or let my kid use it but cut the performance in half.
No, not yet. A "valet mode" is a widely anticipated software feature for a future update. (The Roadster has a valet mode, so it seems likely.)

No, not yet. A "valet mode" is a widely anticipated software feature for a future update. (The Roadster has a valet mode, so it seems likely.)

Thank you Robert. I can see the advantage of being able to set both the acceleration and top speed separately to a user defined level for different situations. For example, selecting 50% acceleration and 80mph top speed before handing the key fob to my teenaged son, or setting acceleration only to 75% if I'm going to be spending all day in a city with slow moving traffic (Boston?). Of course, it would also require a password to put it back to full power.

Last edited:
As to the sound system performance, I tested the "upgraded" sound system at one of the Tesla stores and found it severely lacking. Although, I admit that I am an audiophile and expect a high level of sound performance. So, I didn't do the upgrade and am putting that money towards an aftermarket sound system, which would be tailored to my sound preferences. I'm sure there are others that are doing this as well. Should be able to get a great sounding system for about $1,500, which would include new high quality components: front speakers, subwoofer, wiring, and amp (disabling all other speakers for proper sound stage).

So, I didn't do the upgrade and am putting that money towards an aftermarket sound system, which would be tailored to my sound preferences. I'm sure there are others that are doing this as well. Should be able to get a great sounding system for about $1,500, which would include new high quality components: front speakers, subwoofer, wiring, and amp (disabling all other speakers for proper sound stage).

You might want to read some of the other threads on this subject. The speakers are OEM, and some of them appear to be custom sized (depth wise, shorter than normal) in order to fit into the allotted space. Aftermarket replacement might not be an easy option.
http://www.TeslaMotorsClub.com/showthread.php?p=290332#post290332

As to the sound system performance, I tested the "upgraded" sound system at one of the Tesla stores and found it severely lacking. Although, I admit that I am an audiophile and expect a high level of sound performance. So, I didn't do the upgrade and am putting that money towards an aftermarket sound system, which would be tailored to my sound preferences. I'm sure there are others that are doing this as well. Should be able to get a great sounding system for about $1,500, which would include new high quality components: front speakers, subwoofer, wiring, and amp (disabling all other speakers for proper sound stage).

i was considering doing the same, but didn't because i was afraid of the local car stereo shop messing the the Tesla's immense electronics.

My personal opinion on the upgraded sound system:

1) if you prefer to listen to mp3's, standard itunes tracks, internet radio and/or stream over bluetooth, the premium sound upgrade may not be worth the money. The sonic upgrades in the system focus (right now anyway) mostly on things you either can't consciously hear or may not care about so may not be worth paying for. Likewise, if "good car stereo" means you have to feel immersed in sound, it's worth checking out the standard system and playing with the fader. The upgraded system has really nice front-soundstage imaging which you'll mostly adjust out if you set the fader to give you that "immersed in sound" feel. So if you're going to do that, it's worth asking yourself if the upgrade is worth the money.
2) if you truly want high-end audiophile grade sound in your car so it almost always takes an aftermarket solution to make you happy, don't upgrade the sound. Put the $$ towards an aftermarket upgrade instead.

My personal experience (echoed by others I've read about) is that if you play CD-quality tracks (FLAC or WAV) and like imaging, a more open sound, detail and accuracy but not so much (in a car anyway) that you fall into category #2 above, the upgrade will make you happy.

To my mind, Tesla has made an interesting choice in where and how they've chosen to improve the sound in the upgrade. I think they tried to make the sound system deliver things that are much harder to do (or flat out impossible) in a noisier ICE car. Like reproduce detail that would literally get lost in the noise of an ICE.

I'm very happy with it. Yes, you can get better going aftermarket and spending a bit more money but someone would have to tear the car apart and I'd rather not go down that route.

If you do get the upgrade:

a) Turn Dolby off
b) Most earlier reviewers report better results with a boost to bass, smaller boost to treble and an even smaller midrange boost. One of those recommendations came from a recording engineer. Which is an interesting contrast to recommendations I've seen recently to drop the midrange and leave the rest flat. YMMV. Adjust to taste.
c) Adjust fader to taste. I leave it stock. But if you want to feel enveloped by sound, you're going to have to adjust the fade way to the rear. And you should read (1) above.
d) For best results, play FLAC or WAV using a USB thumb drive. IMO, the upgraded system seems to excel (for a car) at imaging, mid-high end detail and overall accuracy. All of those take a major hit when you stream over bluetooth or compress the music into an mp3 or AAC, even at 256/320 kbps. So if you do that, you're taking away a lot of what the sound system does best.

<edit/add>

I should add: future software upgrades are always the wildcard. What are they going to with Dolby, for example? Everyone who's seriously experimented with the system has agreed that Dolby should be turned off. Yet Tesla obviously thinks having Dolby available is a good thing. Are they right or is that just wishful (and expensive) thinking on their part? I imagine we'll find out one day. There's lot of stuff they could do with their sw/hw architecture. What will they do and when? My personal advice is buy based on what your ears hear today. But that advice is worth what you paid for it :).

Last edited:
I think you have to remember that the upgraded sound system comes with 12 speakers vs 7 for the standard.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a good idea, like the valet mode people have been asking for. A "lower performance" but other wise standard driving mode would be an interesting addition too.

If you are a into performance cars, there is a HUGE difference between standard 85kwh and performance. My car feels very sluggish off the line compared to the performance I test drove.