Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First details of starship's first orbital test flight!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
First details of starship's first orbital test flight:

E1Sw28JX0AAV9Fg

It reads like that both stages land on water, without recovery... Other hand in the Timelines, Booster has touchdown, and Ship has a splashdown...
I read it as booster is recovered by drone ship: it says LAND and if you look at the trajectory is certainly going for a specific target just off-shore; if it would just splashdown, further off coast I'd guess would be safer... Just my reading, I'd guess we'll learn more details sooner than later,

What does "achieve orbit" mean in this context?
To me, orbit means "laps in free fall", but this sounds like well under a half a lap?

"achieve orbit" means reaching a certain altitude and velocity, where if you turned off the thrust, the object would continue in an uniform circular motion around the Earth. So the starship will reach that altitude and orbital speed where it could continue in a uniform circular motion around the Earth if SpaceX wanted to. But since it is a test, they will have Starship deorbit and come back down before going all the way around the Earth.

You know you have achieved orbit, when your orbital speed satisfies the orbital velocity formula:

orbital_velocity_formula_1.png

Objects that travel in uniform circular motion around the Earth are said to be "in orbit". The velocity of this orbit depends on the distance from the object to the center of the Earth. The velocity has to be just right, so that the distance to the center of the Earth is always the same.

"achieve orbit" means reaching a certain altitude and velocity, where if you turned off the thrust, the object would continue in an uniform circular motion around the Earth. So the starship will reach that altitude and orbital speed where it could continue in a uniform circular motion around the Earth if SpaceX wanted to. But since it is a test, they will have Starship deorbit and come back down before going all the way around the Earth.
The question is whether the flight will be on a ballistic trajectory (perigee in the atmosphere), or whether it will be in a true orbit and have to do a deorbit burn. Could a purely ballistic approach be precise enough to control the exact reentry+splashdown point, at such a shallow angle?

"achieve orbit" means reaching a certain altitude and velocity, where if you turned off the thrust, the object would continue in an uniform circular motion around the Earth.
Yeah, I don't like this definition.
I reckon if they genuinely want to display "achieving orbit" then they should let the vehicle do a lap-and-a-half and THEN (powered) de-orbit to Hawaii.
I would call that achieving orbit.
Achieving orbital velocity is NOT the same thing
(This is a facetious post- they can do what they like! I just feel happier that an UNpowered lap is really orbiting :))

Reactions: diplomat33
Yeah, I don't like this definition.
I reckon if they genuinely want to display "achieving orbit" then they should let the vehicle do a lap-and-a-half and THEN (powered) de-orbit to Hawaii.
I would call that achieving orbit.
Achieving orbital velocity is NOT the same thing
(This is a facetious post- they can do what they like! I just feel happier that an UNpowered lap is really orbiting :))

I agree. An unpowered lap or two around the Earth would not be necessary for the purpose of the test but it would certainly be more satisfying IMO.

I agree. An unpowered lap or two around the Earth would not be necessary for the purpose of the test but it would certainly be more satisfying IMO.

Has anyone thought of a plausible reason why SpaceX would want to deorbit before at least one full orbit? Wouldn't the complexity and risks all be in achieving orbit and then reentry and landing/splashdown?

Has anyone thought of a plausible reason why SpaceX would want to deorbit before at least one full orbit? Wouldn't the complexity and risks all be in achieving orbit and then reentry and landing/splashdown?

Probably because that would require doing a full deorbit burn which is not part of what they are trying to test. Right now, they are just testing reaching orbital speed. SpaceX is following an incremental testing schedule.

This is a test flight, they want to be sure that stage comes down with or without de-orbit burn. It will have orbital velocity but trajectory cuts with the Earth near Kauai. SS would makes that (stray) Chinese stage look quite small...

Reactions: diplomat33
The velocity has to be just right, so that the distance to the center of the Earth is always the same.

Pretty pedantic on this one, but the radius/altitude of an object does not need to remain constant (= circular) in order to be “in orbit”. In context this includes many objects injected into low earth orbit (and, likely Starship), where the drop off can be a stable elliptical geometry.