Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First door ding

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You might want to give these guys a call. Saw a number of TMC people happy with their service so made a note of them in case we ever needed this service. $69 Dent Discount Mobile & Body Shop - Paintless Dent Removal / Bumper Repair

Years ago when this guy rear ended my little Civic when he wasn't paying attention and all the traffic had stopped, I let myself get talked into taking my car to this guy's friends shop as he said he didn't have much money to fix the car and felt bad about the damage. Learned my lesson. Instead of genuine Honda parts got a chrome bumper that ended up rusting within a year. Had the car for a few more years so was constantly reminded how you can end up regretting doing something like that.

Thanks for the tip, I contacted them just before I read this thread and this is the quote I got.

Hello
We would need to take a measurement
I will try to help you out on the overall price
We charge $69 per inch
remove and reinstall parts an extra $69
Work done at the San Jose location. $138

Mobile service extra $69”

So unless I remove parts to give them access to behind the step looking like $138

I’ll probably try to get the tail light off and take it in to learn more about how all then parts go together.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
My door ding ended up a $1300 whole door repair & repaint job. They ended up bending the chrome trim so waiting for a replacement to arrive and reinstall. Also, the paint job initially had a bad case of orange peel, so they had to redo the finish. Not very happy but this is the only Tesla authorized body shop around.

This will be my most expensive automobile purchase this lifetime. But as a teen, I did get a new car for graduation and was relieved to hit someone on the drive home so I never had that period of "when will I get my first scratch/ding", you know it's out there, you just don't know when it's coming.

-Randy

The door ding was removed by Dent Discount. Access was very easy from behind the trunk carpet. The lining just pulls away from rubber trim. Fantastic job. Car feels new again.

6E522E1E-F513-48C0-85EC-0466394144A3.jpeg

Answer me this... Why do people suck so much?! :p

Came out of a pet store today with my wife and she told me there was some bird poo on my car. Didn't think much of it and told her I'd get it off when we got home. We stopped for a coffee and on my way out I noticed what she was talking about. However, upon closer inspection I noticed that it wasn't bird poo at all, it was paint... white paint from another car! Yup, door ding... and let me tell you, I was nowhere near the car that created the damage. Whoever opened that door really had to swing it out there as far as it could go. No note left, of course, and simply no human decency (karma anyone). One of those, "Honey, get in the car, we have to go" type moments I guess. Maybe a careless kid opening the door? Some hater? Who knows?! I know this though, it's too early in the life of this baby to be battered and bruised like this, and my 3 is getting fixed. Going to run me around $200 for a paintless dent removal guy to take care of it. To me, right now, worth every penny!

Door Ding (2).jpg

Door Ding (1).jpg

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde

Came out of a pet store today with my wife and she told me there was some bird poo on my car. Didn't think much of it and told her I'd get it off when we got home. We stopped for a coffee and on my way out I noticed what she was talking about. However, upon closer inspection I noticed that it wasn't bird poo at all, it was paint... white paint from another car! Yup, door ding... and let me tell you, I was nowhere near the car that created the damage. Whoever opened that door really had to swing it out there as far as it could go. No note left, of course, and simply no human decency (karma anyone). One of those, "Honey, get in the car, we have to go" type moments I guess. Maybe a careless kid opening the door? Some hater? Who knows?! I know this though, it's too early in the life of this baby to be battered and bruised like this, and my 3 is getting fixed. Going to run me around $200 for a paintless dent removal guy to take care of it. To me, right now, worth every penny!

View attachment 318908

View attachment 318907
Please share before and after photos!

Reactions: Mod Y Guy
Ouch, sorry to see that :(

My first nice car was an E46 M3 (it was nice for me!). Every time I would go to the mall, dinner or wherever, I couldn't relax because I was always afraid of this happening. I ended up selling it and drove beaters for the past 15 years until Tesla got me back in the game with a Model X. Now I'm back to worrying again.

No point to my post other than I can totally empathize.
It's like range anxiety, let's call it ding anxiety. I have the latter but not the former with m3.

View attachment 318908

View attachment 318907

Hi DK21,

Can you please post pictures of what your door ding repair looked like after or at least let us know how it turned out? I have a similar door ding on the folded metal and wanted to see how good of a job the paintless dent removal guys do.

Thanks,
Val

Here’s mine guys. It actually looks a little worse than in the picture. I’m at a paintless door repair shop in Vegas right now. Will report how it turns out after.

They already spent an hour on it and tried to repair it without drilling a hole on the inside of the door, but due to location they said it was hard to get around the door handle bracket. Just gave the OK to drill the little pilot hole and he says he can get it out no problem using that method.

Attachments

• DD2D157F-7FE5-422C-8680-181DCEB1DFDA.jpeg
    DD2D157F-7FE5-422C-8680-181DCEB1DFDA.jpeg
    290.6 KB · Views: 137
EE4592A5-64CD-4EAA-976B-38CADBCECDAA.jpeg
EE4592A5-64CD-4EAA-976B-38CADBCECDAA.jpeg
Here’s mine guys. It actually looks a little worse than in the picture. I’m at a paintless door repair shop in Vegas right now. Will report how it turns out after.

They already spent an hour on it and tried to repair it without drilling a hole on the inside of the door, but due to location they said it was hard to get around the door handle bracket. Just gave the OK to drill the little pilot hole and he says he can get it out no problem using that method.
Edit: Woohoo! Got it repaired!

My last car was scraped up by the missus early in its life. It hurt, but I realized that now that it had been "christened", the pressure was off to keep things pristine. I left it alone and within a few weeks, it didn't bother me anymore.

The first ding I got on my Model 3 hurt. I sucked it up and left it alone. Sure enough, a few weeks later, it wasn't bothering me as much.

Well, maybe it took more than a couple weeks.

I have 2 dings now, and a scratch. but who's counting.

Looks good, but I think I will leave the ding in my hood, until you have one you are always panicked that you will get one. There is a certain freedom of already having a ding on the no longer new car.

-Randy
Very true, but mine was such an eye sore and ruined the flowing lines. I couldn’t stop looking at it. I don’t think I would have minded if it was not over a body line dead center.