Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First long road trip in my 2022 MYP (one month in)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heya!

I received my 2022 MYP Dec. 28. Delivery was fantastic and car was perfect inside and out. I missed out on the Ryzen upgrade, unfortunately, but oh well! Happily received the car and have been driving it for about 6 weeks around town.

We did our first long (1200 mile RT) trip in the MYP this last week. From SoCal to Tahoe (I5 on the way up, 395 on the way back). Overall, the MYP performed well. Since this was our first long trip, and first interaction with Superchargers, I felt the car asked for some unnecessary charges at times, but that seems to be me not properly routing the trip. I used ABRP for the trip home, and was able to do the trip in 2 charges, vs the 4x we stopped on the way up.

My biggest gripe is that the Auto Steer/Pilot feels half baked and at times, dangerous to use. I had so much phantom braking and autocorrected steering, that after a while, I had to stop using AP or even cruise and disabled forward collision detection. Anything larger than a pickup truck would cause a stuttering brake, or a swerve and HARD brake, especially on Semi's or the like. Even some hills and dips, with not another vehicle in sight, the car would brake for seemingly no reason. It was bizarre and frustrating. It disconnected many times as well. In comparison, my 2019 Volvo XC60's AP feels leagues better at handling obstacles and judging distances. While it lacks some of the features of the Tesla, I never once had a phantom braking and it had gained my trust after a few trips.

Unless Tesla figures out what's causing the phantom braking, I'm afraid AP will remain disabled. Which was a big reason I chose the Tesla in the first place. I understand that it's in beta, with the "Tesla Vision" taking over, but I didn't expect it to be near unusable. Also, keeping me artificially near the speed limit was pretty infuriating. I couldn't flow with traffic. A few times, the speed limit would change from say, 55 to 70, but the car did not update and I was stuck going 60 mph in a 70 mph zone. Other times it would happily let me kick up the speed above the speed limit. Definitely confusing.

I love a lot of things about the car, but the phantom braking is a bit of a deal breaker for me. Hopefully it gets sorted out quickly in an upcoming update.

Heya!

I received my 2022 MYP Dec. 28. Delivery was fantastic and car was perfect inside and out. I missed out on the Ryzen upgrade, unfortunately, but oh well! Happily received the car and have been driving it for about 6 weeks around town.

We did our first long (1200 mile RT) trip in the MYP this last week. From SoCal to Tahoe (I5 on the way up, 395 on the way back). Overall, the MYP performed well. Since this was our first long trip, and first interaction with Superchargers, I felt the car asked for some unnecessary charges at times, but that seems to be me not properly routing the trip. I used ABRP for the trip home, and was able to do the trip in 2 charges, vs the 4x we stopped on the way up.

My biggest gripe is that the Auto Steer/Pilot feels half baked and at times, dangerous to use. I had so much phantom braking and autocorrected steering, that after a while, I had to stop using AP or even cruise and disabled forward collision detection. Anything larger than a pickup truck would cause a stuttering brake, or a swerve and HARD brake, especially on Semi's or the like. Even some hills and dips, with not another vehicle in sight, the car would brake for seemingly no reason. It was bizarre and frustrating. It disconnected many times as well. In comparison, my 2019 Volvo XC60's AP feels leagues better at handling obstacles and judging distances. While it lacks some of the features of the Tesla, I never once had a phantom braking and it had gained my trust after a few trips.

Unless Tesla figures out what's causing the phantom braking, I'm afraid AP will remain disabled. Which was a big reason I chose the Tesla in the first place. I understand that it's in beta, with the "Tesla Vision" taking over, but I didn't expect it to be near unusable. Also, keeping me artificially near the speed limit was pretty infuriating. I couldn't flow with traffic. A few times, the speed limit would change from say, 55 to 70, but the car did not update and I was stuck going 60 mph in a 70 mph zone. Other times it would happily let me kick up the speed above the speed limit. Definitely confusing.

I love a lot of things about the car, but the phantom braking is a bit of a deal breaker for me. Hopefully it gets sorted out quickly in an upcoming update.

Thanks for heads-up. I am also planning the 1st road trip from Bay area to Vegas via SoCal.

During daily commutes on multi-laned highways, I myself also experienced some AP abnormalities with breaking/acceleration, that I suspect mild form of phantom breaking. Luckily, my case has never been a hard-breaking near to full stop...but, in multiple occasions I've seen MY not accelerating to narrow the gap between me and a car in front when I am driving next to a semi casting a shadow in front of MY: I had to hit the gas pedal to override AP.

Reactions: Vustadumas