Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pdk42

Jul 17, 2019
Leamington
Yeah, yeah - another thread on this...

I recently replaced my 2019 Model 3 with a new Model Y. I never had huge issues with phantom braking on the old car, but jeez, this new Y is terrible! Maybe it's the loss of USS, or radar (but I thought this was all disabled anyhow back when all-vision AP was introduced) - but whatever it is, this Y is really not coping as well as the old 3.

On top of that, the new car seems way more pernickety using the cabin camera to scold me if I don't keep my eyes facing forward.

I'm getting to the point where using AP is really more trouble than it's worth.

A useful experience from a reliable long term owner even if it’s not what @pdk42 wanted.

A regression like this, on the latest spec vehicle really highlights the inconsistency of some features between vehicles. It’s a big problem that needs to have the root cause found. Hopefully Tesla can investigate and not fob off things as being normal. I am also assuming that same settings are being used between previous and new?

Could cabin camera differences be explained though by having IR emitters to improve night vision? Or was it same in daylight too?

I’ve just had the new model 3 highland delivered and did my first long journey in an EV. I had to actively seek out chats about this because the car slammed on its brakes by creating a 40mph speed target on three separate occasions for no reason whatsover. I was in the left lane of the motorway at 70mph and had no vehicles in front of me at any point and on two of the occasions I didn’t even have anyone to my side either. What on earth is going on? This could have easily caused an accident and needs to be fixed! A quick fix for me at the moment would be to just allow the option to remove adaptive cruise control altogether.

Left lane on a smart motorway with no hard shoulder, perchance? The logic for speed control sometimes gets quite upset here as it thinks you're leaving the motorway. On a quiet drive it's easier to just stick in lane 2 and move over if you see someone approaching from behind. Legally dubious, but safer anyway in my opinion if there's no hard shoulder.