Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First long trip with P3D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
260 might be pushing it depending mostly on speed, temp and HVAC useage. There are some online trip planners that can assist you.

Make sure supercharging works locally before setting out on the trip. One in ten thousand chance it doesn’t but not worth the risk(Odds exaggerated).

How I road trip:

I follow speed limits of 60mph or more as long as I am not creating an unsafe situation.

Start out at 100%
Plan first stop at 10-20%
Charge to 60-75% so that I arrive at 10% at next supercharger.
The onboard navigation is super accurate at posted speed limits so I only keep track of possible headwinds and adjust accordingly.
Repeat.

If you like to go faster than the posted speed limit charge so that the onboard navigation claims you arrive at 20% or more as required. I know that is a faster plan but I like mostly going the speed limit since I can accelerate to pass and not worry about getting a ticket.

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
260 might be pushing it depending mostly on speed, temp and HVAC useage. There are some online trip planners that can assist you.

Make sure supercharging works locally before setting out on the trip. One in ten thousand chance it doesn’t but not worth the risk(Odds exaggerated).

How I road trip:

I follow speed limits of 60mph or more as long as I am not creating an unsafe situation.

Start out at 100%
The onboard navigation is super accurate at posted speed limits so I only keep track of possible headwinds and adjust accordingly.
Repeat.

If you like to go faster than the posted speed limit charge so that the onboard navigation claims you arrive at 20% or more as required. I know that is a faster plan but I like mostly going the speed limit since I can accelerate to pass and not worry about getting a ticket.
Thanks for the advice. Will definitely use it.

That is pushing it for sure - you definitely need to check abetterrouteplanner.com to confirm if you can make that. I have a P3D, and the range is likely 250 miles at 70 mph (dont normally go that slow). As others mentioned - speed, elevation, temps, rain, elevation changes all can impact range. Here's a chart that gives an idea of range vs.speed for the various models: Here's The Estimated Range Of Tesla Model S, 3 & X At Highway Speed

As an example - from north DFW to the Childress TX supercharger is 215 miles. Told my daughter to use the energy chart to confirm the range - and it was a good thing as she had to go ~ 60 mph (in a 75 mph speed limit) and made it with 3% left. The two factors that likely impacted that was a subtle headwind and elevation increases roughly 1000 feet. When i checked abetterrouteplanner after the fact - it shows DFW => childress requires 62 mph, the opposite direction can do 80 mph.

If there's another SC prior to the one that is 260 miles away - you can keep an eye on your range, and if need be just do a short charge to give you enough to get there with a small buffer. If you end up in a situation where you think you are going to end up short - then slow down

enjoy the trip!

Higher speeds are fine if you're on a highway with other cars going those speeds. I've seen below (way below) EPA consumption running with a pack of cars over 80mph, and above EPA consumption running by myself at 70mph. lots of factors at play...

I agree with the others - 260 miles on a P3D is pushing it. I tend to be more conservative and like to arrive at SuperChargers with ~20% reserve to ensure I don't find myself stranded anywhere. I'd follow the recommendations of the others - plan additional stops but only charge to the point where you have enough to make it to the next location with a reserve that you're comfortable with.

As I get older (I’m only 37) I’ve learned from
Years of road trips, more stops = less fatigue.

I used to drive the entire fuel tank. I would do 10-12 hour days and arrive feeling drained.

With more stops that doesn’t happen as badly. I tend to limit myself to about 2- 2.5 hours now.

I agree with the others - 260 miles on a P3D is pushing it. I tend to be more conservative and like to arrive at SuperChargers with ~20% reserve to ensure I don't find myself stranded anywhere. I'd follow the recommendations of the others - plan additional stops but only charge to the point where you have enough to make it to the next location with a reserve that you're comfortable with.
I did exactly that for the way back, got back home last night. Except having a flat tire (was able to fix it on the spot) it was a pretty good experience. I used EAP for about 90% of the time, it just makes long trips much more relaxing.

I did exactly that for the way back, got back home last night. Except having a flat tire (was able to fix it on the spot) it was a pretty good experience. I used EAP for about 90% of the time, it just makes long trips much more relaxing.
Glad to hear you had a good experience! Can you share more about the flat tire? Did you contact Tesla support for that and did they fix it?

Reactions: Runnergirl
Glad to hear you had a good experience! Can you share more about the flat tire? Did you contact Tesla support for that and did they fix it?
I'm an ex mechanic, I fixed myself. When I got this car (without run-flat tires) I also got a flat tire repair kit and a 12volt portable compressor. It took me 15 minutes to plug the tires and be back on the road.

How I road trip:

Start out at 100%
Repeat.

Thanks for this response. We're taking our car on the road next week-about 300 miles- and I'm interested in the other online trips you mentioned. Also, we have the 3 that is not the extended range so I want to be sure we can make it to the superchargers. But, I guess the best advice you're giving is to do the speed limit. What are the other online trip planners? Thanks.

Which 12-volt compressor would you recommend?.. also which repair kit did you use? Thanks in advance for sharing.
IMG_20190405_125924045.jpg
IMG_20190405_130039204.jpg
I'm pretty sure I got them on Amazon.

The compressor is high power dual piston. It filll up a tire pretty quick, but it is power hungry, it comes with alligator clips that you can use to connect directly to the 12volt battery.

• Love
Reactions: Runnergirl