Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First major repair in my 2015 MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys.
My 2015 MS showed many alerts after a raining afternoon.
Can you help me understand the invoice? I'm trying to contact the SC but you know how difficult it is.
Do you understand what is the deference between second and third corrections?
Also, the initial estimate for the diagnostic, before taking my car to the SC was $259. Is it normal to charge over $800 just for diagnostic?
Thank you

1686246916819.png

1686246985781.png

Wowser! I had my HV battery contactors replaced under warranty when the drive unit went bad, is your 2015 still under warranty? The diagnostic fee seems unreasonable high. I'm not sure how much labor is done to replace the contactors but ReCell and wk057 might give you best estimate as to how much time that should take. Take that number and multiply it by $185 for shop time and that's what I think would be fair.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Wowser! I had my HV battery contactors replaced under warranty when the drive unit went bad, is your 2015 still under warranty? The diagnostic fee seems unreasonable high. I'm not sure how much labor is done to replace the contactors but ReCell and wk057 might give you best estimate as to how much time that should take. Take that number and multiply it by $185 for shop time and that's what I think would be fair.
The warranty expired just 2 months ago (as usual).
This is the only SC in Miami and the labor rate is almost $300.
I called them and asked for a detailed explanation, the diagnostic where 3 hours, the $973 labor is the actual replacement of the contactors and the $460 labor is to remove and install the HV battery to do work with the contactors.
All this sound like extremally expensive and all this labor and diagnostic is very old to say the least.
I don't have any other SC, I don't think there anything I can do other that pay.

I have been a Tesla fan for many years, will find very difficult to go back to ICE, but the customer service and SC experience is very very bad. No loaner, just Uber credit. Even when I have a Hyundai the dealer washed the car after any repair.
This SC in Miami has rented a parking building 10 to 15 minutes walking from the SC, to pickup the car, you have to go there, go to the 7th floor and open your car with the app. I imagine that will be inconvenience for many people with any disability or difficulty moving around.
Also, you have nobody to ask questions.
Each day I find harder to recommend the brand, and it's not because the cars.

Is the car fixed? Didn't they ask to approve the charge before they fixed it?
My guess diagnostic was to figure out what is actually broken
Opening the pack is a lot of work so not surprising labor charge.
I think Electrified Garage is in FL

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Is the car fixed? Didn't they ask to approve the charge before they fixed it?
My guess diagnostic was to figure out what is actually broken
Opening the pack is a lot of work so not surprising labor charge.
I think Electrified Garage is in FL
It’s fixed. They asked my approval, they sent an invoice similar to this but with less details. They also say they need to change the contractors to complete the diagnostic, without changing them there was not a final diagnostic.
I didn’t know how much was for diagnostic and how much for each labor. That’s why I ask here, mainly to educate my self.

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston
It’s fixed. They asked my approval, they sent an invoice similar to this but with less details. They also say they need to change the contractors to complete the diagnostic, without changing them there was not a final diagnostic.
I didn’t know how much was for diagnostic and how much for each labor. That’s why I ask here, mainly to educate my self.
Diagnostic and labor are pretty interchangeable in my book.
If I think that something is wrong and change it out. Then that's labor.
If it isn't the problem, then it becomes diagnostic.

What do you think the problem was?

The errors shown are from an HVIL issue (safety loop of the HV system that runs through a bunch of different components), so could be a bunch of different things... but 100% not the contactors.

Could be anything from a loose screw to a bad drive unit. But the contactors are completely unrelated to the HVIL system.

May be mention what Wk057 said, using the app, and see what they come back with. It could be that the contactors were discovered as needing to be replaced (even though the error messages you saw do not necessarily indicate that). Was the vehicle charging while it was raining? If not, it was outside and did you go through a large puddle? It could be that water got in from the rain. They probably also applied new seals to make sure everything is waterproofed. If it was due to rain, you could file an insurance claim and be reimbursed for the repair.

There's also the Ft. Lauderdale Tesla location, but that might be at least an extra 20 minutes away for you.

May be mention what Wk057 said, using the app, and see what they come back with. It could be that the contactors were discovered as needing to be replaced (even though the error messages you saw do not necessarily indicate that). Was the vehicle charging while it was raining? If not, it was outside and did you go through a large puddle? It could be that water got in from the rain. They probably also applied new seals to make sure everything is waterproofed. If it was due to rain, you could file an insurance claim and be reimbursed for the repair.

There's also the Ft. Lauderdale Tesla location, but that might be at least an extra 20 minutes away for you.
It was not charging during the rain, however it has need many times before. The day before the alerts we had heavy rain and I had to drive through some puddles but nothing deep.
I think it will be more expensive with the insurance company when it comes the renewal date.
I didn’t know about the SC at Fort Lauderdale.
I just have had bad experiences from the SC at Miami. One time the windshield sprayer was very weak, they said it was normal and refuse to do anything. I cleaned the reservoir and filter and fixed the issue my self. This time I asked to check a vibration I feel on the wheels, they say they can’t because Tesla comes with wheels 19 and I have aftermarket wheels, I had Tesla stock 21 turbine wheels, so figure out how good they there.

I have been a Tesla fan for many years, will find very difficult to go back to ICE, but the customer service and SC experience is very very bad. No loaner, just Uber credit. Even when I have a Hyundai the dealer washed the car after any repair.
This SC in Miami has rented a parking building 10 to 15 minutes walking from the SC, to pickup the car, you have to go there, go to the 7th floor and open your car with the app. I imagine that will be inconvenience for many people with any disability or difficulty moving around.
Also, you have nobody to ask questions.
Each day I find harder to recommend the brand, and it's not because the cars.
Fully agree the customer experience leaves a lot to be desired, especially considering that you have purchased a car priced similar to a in the luxury ICE car

The errors shown are from an HVIL issue (safety loop of the HV system that runs through a bunch of different components), so could be a bunch of different things... but 100% not the contactors.

Could be anything from a loose screw to a bad drive unit. But the contactors are completely unrelated to the HVIL system.
Curious to know if replacing the contactors fixed the issue though.