Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First post….first cross country road trip…and a question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MY06423

Supporting Member
Aug 13, 2023
LA/CT/KSA
Hello all
Long time lurker..now joined the forum.

We got our MYLR in May and generally loving it. I’ll post some observations later when I’ve spent more time in the car - I work abroad for 60-70% of the time and most of the 1800m have been my wife doing mainly local stuff.

We are driving cross country from CA to CT (3000m) in the first week of September with our two dogs. We have a general rote planned out with 4-5 overnight stops mostly at hotels we’ve used before close to parks and reasonable food offers. Actual route LA - Las Vegas - Georgetown CO - Kansas City - Columbus OH - Gardiner NY - Chester CT. The first and last legs are deliberately shorter for logistics reasons.

Anyhooo…the question…
Using the in-car nav - should I input the whole trip with the stops I need or just each leg at the start of each day? Is it better for the system to know I’m leaving the stop and have another destination planned so the charging is adjusted to manage that next leg? I assume so - but just wondering how other folks have done this?

Generally I’m feeling pretty comfortable with managing the trip and charging etc - I’ve tested it using both the Tesla system and ABRP. Both indicate about 18-19 charging stops in total (gas would maybe be 8-10?).

Any thoughts welcomed!
Many thanks!

Ps. Due to time zones and jet lag my replies might be sporadic and slow. Apologies

On longer trips I jump between my final destination (for the day) and some closer stops. The SOC prediction sometimes won't update past the next stop, and sometimes you might want to see where you'll be in 2 stops vs just the next one.

There's no hard rule, if it seems stuck, then even just cancelling nav and re doing it can give you updated predictions.

Some software versions do better than others, sometimes it's rock solid and you'll never need to fuss with it. Sometimes it's all over the map and you might need to re do the nav twice every leg.

Another thing I do a lot is cancel and navigate to the next stop that I want, if I want to stop before the car needs to. It can be hard to manage adding an early stop, it has sometimes deleted a stop I wanted and re-routed me past it.

You'll figure it all out, you'll have plenty of time to play with it!

I try to stay at hotels with level 2 chargers. You can find them on Pl;ugShare. You can likely avoid a supercharger stop for every hotel with a level 2 charger; J1772 or Tesla both work fine.
Legitimately you can only charge at hotels with charging if you are staying there
I wouldn’t want to stay at hotels every 240 miles

I typically plan my own stops instead of entering the destination and letting Tesla figure it out. Tesla’s recommendation tends to be longer legs and longer charging stops, taking more time overall. I prefer <15 minute stops every 110 miles or so. I’ll either enter my stops one at a time or build a list of stops in the navigation system.