Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Road trip with model 3.....really sucks.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, I assume that the service center superchargers are different. When the service center puts my car on their supercharger, of course, there is no billing/charge made. This would not be a conclusive test to see whether all aspects of consumer/public supercharging works.

• Disagree
Reactions: bay74 and gavine
Dang. No
There is no such thing as "free" and "paid" superchargers. They are all the same, and when you plug in it should connect with your account automatically. If you don't have free supercharging, it gets charged to a credit card. It's very simple.

In theory, that is true. However, no one has ever been charged at one of the superchargers around here. While the others have all charged. No telling if the handshake is different on the one that has never charged.

Here the trip was disaster due to two things:

a) untested SC equipment from Tesla
b) lack of due diligence and planning - especially when you take your first trip and load your 2 year old in the car

That was my point.

For 'a', IMO, since charging is fundamental to the car's operation, the M3 computers should recognize if SuperCharging won't work and issue an error code. (OP already said that his credit card was on file and working.)

IMO, 'b' is a woulda/coulda/shoulda, in other words, a nice-to-have.

I had my M3 for a couple of months, and just took a road trip the other way: SoCal to The Bay. (While I didn't have a two-year old, I had a wifey on the first trip with AutoPilot, and woulda preferred a two-year old.)

More importantly, since my HPWC works fine at home I would have never thought to drive 20 minutes to the nearest supercharger and then wait in line for 30+ minutes just to test my supercharging capabilities. (Fountain Valley SC is a zoo on many days.) I did think about the credit card issue, but just figured that if there was a problem with the cc, the 800 road service guys could fix it while I was at the first supercharger (Bakersfield, in my case).

Let's just not blame the victim.

Think people are being way too harsh on @Electroman , seeing too much red and not getting the beneficial parts of his statements.

While his commentary is not popular, there are other analogies along the same lines.

Glock makes one of the most dependable handguns in history. You can trust your life with 99.99% of ones that are manufactured.

When you need your Glock, you can't just rely on that 99.99% statistic when you actually have to use it to defend your life and your loved ones. You 'trust but verify'. You validate the integrity of that Glock by putting 1000 trouble free rounds through it.

Supercharging is probably fine on 99.99% of cars and you just 'expect' it to be there for you when you need it. Trust but verify.

However at the end of the day, you are responsible to "protect yourself at all times" - its the first principle of leaving no things to chance.

Not blaming OP at all either, he's a champ.
I'm speaking in generalities of contingency planning. I have not tested supercharging on my Model 3 yet but I better do it soon so I don't be a hypocrite.

You shouldn't have to a pack a life jacket on the Titanic but that would have been worth more than its space in Gold if you had it.

One can not blame the victim AND analyze the incident post-morterm to see what can be learned from the incident. These are not mutually exclusive things.

Think people are being way too harsh on @Electroman , seeing too much red and not getting the beneficial parts of his statements.

While his commentary is not popular, there are other analogies along the same lines.

Glock makes one of the most dependable handguns in history. You can trust your life with 99.99% of ones that are manufactured.

When you need your Glock, you can't just rely on that 99.99% statistic when you actually have to use it to defend your life and your loved ones. You 'trust but verify'. You validate the integrity of that Glock by putting 1000 trouble free rounds through it.

Supercharging is probably fine on 99.99% of cars and you just 'expect' it to be there for you when you need it. Trust but verify.

However at the end of the day, you are responsible to "protect yourself at all times" - its the first principle of leaving no things to chance.

Not blaming OP at all either, he's a champ. I'm speaking in generalities of contingency planning. I have not tested supercharging on my Model 3 yet but I better do it soon so I don't be a hypocrite.

You shouldn't have to a pack a life jacket on the Titanic but that would have been worth more than its space in Gold if you had it.

One can not blame the victim AND analyze the incident post-morterm to see what can be learned from the incident. These are not mutually exclusive things.

By you logic if we drove an ICE car off the lot do we need to "trust and verify" that we can pump gas into it? That the wheels are not going to fall off after 100 miles? No, we just expect it to work. We are at the point where Teslas are more mainstream, and so we can't rely on this anymore.

Furthermore this completely discount those that don't live near a supercharger. Are you expecting them to "trust and verify" by driving 100+ miles?

This is again victim blaming. Lipstick on a pig still makes it a pig.

By you logic if we drove an ICE car off the lot do we need to "trust and verify" that we can pump gas into it? That the wheels are not going to fall off after 100 miles? No, we just expect it to work. We are at the point where Teslas are more mainstream, and so we can't rely on this anymore.

Furthermore this completely discount those that don't live near a supercharger. Are you expecting them to "trust and verify" by driving 100+ miles?

This is again victim blaming. Lipstick on a pig still makes it a pig.

Bullshit analogy. An internal combustion engine and Direct Current charging to 'fuel' a vehicle are two entirely different things. Direct current charging with a SOFTWARE and BILLING component to boot.
Gas pump problems tend to surface sooner where someone owning a Tesla might not have supercharged in 2 years of ownership.

Second bullshit analogy on the wheels. You could have driven 10,000 miles on tires (I'm sure you meant tires and not wheels) but best practice of trust but verify is to check tread depth, defects, air pressure before you drive your next road trip. Few people do this but then they are leaving things to chance. Most of the time it doesn't bite them. It could however.

Those who don't live near a supercharger the risk/cost analysis discussion goes like this:

Am I willing to take a 1% chance SC is not working on my car?
Yes - wait and see what happens
No - Keep a 300 mile charge on my car, Drive 100 miles and test the SC.

For those who hold essential jobs, excuse discussions usually go like this:

Me: I couldn't do X because of a,b,c,d,e,f. I expected a,b,c to be working and d,e was someone elses job, and traffic was bad, and it should have bla bla bla

Boss: Don't care, X wasn't done. Conversation over.

No one is not saying Tesla couldn't have handled things better. For damn sure they should have.

Whether its dealing with Tesla, Glock, your pharmacy, your parachute, your dining experience (thats why people use Yelp)

PROTECT YOURSELF AT ALL TIMES.

It's not like I never make mistakes, never get screwed over by others but the more prepared you are, the luckier you are.

You can also disagree with every post I make. Zero fraks given. I know what is right and true and I stand by it.

By you logic if we drove an ICE car off the lot do we need to "trust and verify" that we can pump gas into it?

I think analogy is silly and trivializes the Supercharger technology to a gas tank. This is a new technology engineered by Tesla about 6 years ago and that has been implemented only in Teslas, compared to a gas tank that people have been using over a 100 years and by over a 100 million vehicles.

So not saying that takes Tesla off the hook here, but trivial (stupid) analogies doesn't advance your case much

Bullshit analogy. An internal combustion engine and Direct Current charging to 'fuel' a vehicle are two entirely different things. Direct current charging with a SOFTWARE and BILLING component to boot.
Gas pump problems tend to surface sooner where someone owning a Tesla might not have supercharged in 2 years of ownership.

Second bullshit analogy on the wheels. You could have driven 10,000 miles on tires (I'm sure you meant tires and not wheels) but best practice of trust but verify is to check tread depth, defects, air pressure before you drive your next road trip. Few people do this but then they are leaving things to chance. Most of the time it doesn't bite them. It could however.

Those who don't live near a supercharger the risk/cost analysis discussion goes like this:

Am I willing to take a 1% chance SC is not working on my car?
Yes - wait and see what happens
No - Keep a 300 mile charge on my car, Drive 100 miles and test the SC.

For those who hold essential jobs, excuse discussions usually go like this:

Me: I couldn't do X because of a,b,c,d,e,f. I expected a,b,c to be working and d,e was someone elses job, and traffic was bad, and it should have bla bla bla

Boss: Don't care, X wasn't done. Conversation over.

No one is not saying Tesla couldn't have handled things better. For damn sure they should have.

Whether its dealing with Tesla, Glock, your pharmacy, your parachute, your dining experience (thats why people use Yelp)

PROTECT YOURSELF AT ALL TIMES.

LOL I can't even. A Tesla is a CAR. Not a gun, not some magical piece of equipment that requires special care to use and operate. We expect it to work. If we cannot put such level of trust into a car, then Tesla will not succeed in the mainstream.

There is also a difference between preventative maintenance and expected standards of operation. It is responsible for you to check tires and do rotation and maintenance, etc. However we should not have to TRUST AND VERIFY that the gas tank works every time we go on a roadtrip.

If I drove something that had a 1% failure rate I would not want to drive it at all.

Why are you so mad? Are you mad that someone had problems with their precious Tesla? Get off your fanboy horse and face the reality.

I think analogy is silly and trivializes the Supercharger technology to a gas tank. This is a new technology engineered by Tesla about 6 years ago and that has been implemented only in Teslas, compared to a gas tank that people have been using over a 100 years and by over a 100 million vehicles.

So not saying that takes Tesla off the hook here, but trivial (stupid) analogies doesn't advance your case much
If it doesn't Just Work it's crap technology [for a general consumer product], at any level.

Is that fair? Well I think it is but more importantly it's what going to be expected by the public at large, by most of the people that are going to be buying this. That I'm told something works and they sell it to me and then suddenly it doesn't? Oh my. Either it wasn't working off-the-lot or something "broke" along the way before on or their trip. Trying to explain that away as the technology being complicated is just un-selling the product.

Bottom line, whatever your intentions, is your post came off as you wearing a victim-blaming asshat, and you're not helping yourself here at all. MXWings' bold and upsized text laced posts aren't, either.

Fin.

Last edited:

I stand by my analogy. You are the one that needs to think. Tesla is trying to break into mainstream, and they state their car is supposed to be maintenance free and easy/reliable to operate. That is the standard we should hold them to and that they should be accountable for that.Try telling Joe Sixpack that "oh you need to test SC before you go on a roadtrip because there might be a 1% failure rate". That crap is not going to fly.

LOL I can't even. A Tesla is a CAR. Not a gun, not some magical piece of equipment that requires special care to use and operate. We expect it to work. If we cannot put such level of trust into a car, then Tesla will not succeed in the mainstream.

There is also a difference between preventative maintenance and expected standards of operation. It is responsible for you to check tires and do rotation and maintenance, etc. However we should not have to TRUST AND VERIFY that the gas tank works every time we go on a roadtrip.

If I drove something that had a 1% failure rate I would not want to drive it at all.

Why are you so mad? Are you mad that someone had problems with their precious Tesla? Get off your fanboy horse and face the reality.

A gun is much more simple than a car, yet it should have 1000 rounds fired through it for 'production use'.

This supercharging issue is the first I've ever heard of. Who knows.. my car could be case #2? I have @Electroman post to thank and go "maybe I should test this before I rely on it for a road trip".

No one is saying you need to test SC on every road trip. Testing it once would be ideal. If somehow SC fails in the future, you have done your due diligence. Your contingency plan for that possible future SC fail is a AAA card, a working credit card, some cash and a working cell phone to make a call.

No where did I say or expect a 1% failure rate for anything on a Tesla. That is a variable percentage for discussion sake. Don't be dense.

Bottom line is your post came off you wearing a victim-blaming asshat, and you're not helping yourself here at all. MXWings' bold and upsized text laced posts aren't really, either.

My son probably thinks I'm an abusive asshat dad when I'm on him for doing all his chores before he can have any fun. It's more important to be right than to be popular. I will have OP AND @Electroman to thank when I go to test supercharging this weekend on my Model 3 to ensure its working as intended. I feel very badly for OP and would have invited him to my home to use my HPWC if he was in range and was stuck. I am thankful he shared the experience though so we can all learn something.

Last edited:
Reactions: transpondster
A gun is much more simple than a car, yet it should have 1000 rounds fired through it for 'production use'.

This supercharging issue is the first I've ever heard of. Who knows.. my car could be case #2? I have @Electroman post to thank and go "maybe I should test this before I rely on it for a road trip".

No one is saying you need to test SC on every road trip. Testing it once would be ideal. If somehow SC fails in the future, you have done your due diligence. Your contingency plan for that possible future SC fail is a AAA card, a working credit card, some cash and a working cell phone to make a call.

No where did I say or expect a 1% failure rate for anything on a Tesla. That is a variable percentage for discussion sake. Don't be dense.

You brought up the percentage, not me.

That level of self-doubt is not going to fly. By your logic, should we "test" the airbags to see if they work? No we just expect them to work.

Also that boss stuff doesn't fly all the time. The reasons and excuses matter. There's a difference between "my dog at my homework" and "my house blew up". If my boss still complains depending on the context it could be on him or her (like why didn't he have backup/contingency plans?).

You brought up the percentage, not me.

That level of self-doubt is not going to fly. By your logic, should we "test" the airbags to see if they work? No we just expect them to work.

Also that boss stuff doesn't fly all the time. The reasons and excuses matter. There's a difference between "my dog at my homework" and "my house blew up". If my boss still complains depending on the context it could be on him or her (like why didn't he have backup/contingency plans?).

If you want to use context, you know my 1% failure rate is not to be taken literally.

Its a poor analogy to compare testing airbags vs supercharging. You would have to collide to verify that versus plugging in a cable.

I suppose my boss would accept it if I said, hey - I couldn't finish designing that data center because a big earthquake hit California and it's currently underwater.

That's not the point. Not everything has to be taken literally. The main idea is bosses ask: "Was due diligence exercised within reason?" That's it.

Everyone makes the mistake of taking certain things for granted.

If I were OP, despite all the planning I need to do all the time, I would have been in the same situation. I see myself as the OP, and I would have been frustrated with myself if I did not test this function. I would have been mad at Tesla too. My wife would have just been mad at me and not care about mitigating circumstances.

The idea is not to blame the OP or blame Tesla, or blame me, or blame @Electroman or blame you. Who cares about blame?

If feedback gets to Tesla they can improve. Us users can improve our planning because this is an issue we have a small probability of running into.

The idea is not to blame the OP or blame Tesla, or blame me, or blame @Electroman or blame you. Who cares about blame?

If feedback gets to Tesla they can improve. Us users can improve our planning because this is an issue we have a small probability of running into.
This alone would have avoided 3 pages of an internet pissing match. Your intent may have been in the right place, but it did come across as blaming the OP who actually seemed relatively calm despite a frustrating situation.

This alone would have avoided 3 pages of an internet pissing match. Your intent may have been in the right place, but it did come across as blaming the OP who actually seemed relatively calm despite a frustrating situation.

I don't anyone in their hearts of hearts is blaming the OP. Stuff comes out wrong and insensitive, and people want to go on a rage. The forest is not being seen due to focus on the trees.

OP is super cool.

It's just wrong for people to get shouted down for posting any narrative other than its 100% Tesla's fault.. no and's if's, buts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Electroman and SJC3
I love Teslas but why is it always the owners fault when something happens? When I was 16 I bought a new Nissan and never did I once had to test a gas station to make sure I can fill my gas tank.

That seems like an unfair analogy to me since ICE engines have been around for decades and this is new technology.

That's no excuse for Tesla -- and I think Tesla should give the OP free supercharging for life for their screw-up, since I certainly have sympathy for him -- and his frustration is well placed.

But these things happen folks and, even though I've been road tripping with my S flawlessly for over 4 years, the first thing I did when I got my 3 was test it at a supercharger because my wife was road tripping with her brother and sister-in-law and I didn't want any problems.

You seem to think this happens to everyone? It's what's called a "one-off". Just like when some people get new vehicles with locking gas caps and the dealership forgets to give them the key. The industry somehow survived that.

Yes, it's a car but people really need to look it at more as an electrical item rather than a vehicle. The same as when people looked at the first ICE and compared it to a nice horse pulled wagon. WRONG! It's a different technology so it has different problems. Is that hard to understand? I'm more concerned with Tesla's lack of quickly fixing it, than the problem itself, since it's clearly not widespread.

Comparing it to filling an old Nissan with gas, or raking Tesla over the coals like we all have this problem, are both the wrong approach to this issue. The only real answer is free supercharging for life for the OP since he took the hit all of us fear could happen -- and some of us take extra caution to prevent.

Last edited:
Think on the good side. You will always have this story/memory to think back with your 2 year old.

So true. When my teenage daughter was on her phone to me, crying because our Leaf was in turtle mode and she had a few miles to home, I told her not to cry, that if it dies we will call a tow truck, there's no problem, and now she has something to tell her children since she sometimes says to me what will I say to my kids since you say "no internet, no cell phones, etc" (when I was her age). I said she can tell her kids we had two electric vehicles (then -- now 3) when barely anyone had one, and one of them you could barely take anywhere and she cried on her phone to grandpa because it could barely make it home. She laughed and we still talk about that time. By the way, she made it home!