Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Semi-long Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once again a question. Charged to 351 miles. Took trip for 104 miles verified by odometer and google maps. Upon arrival my charge indicated 232 mile range remaining. A 15 mile range loss. I understand that ever situation is different (temp, hills, stopping, etc.). That said, is this within the norm to get approximately 87% of indicated range?

Yes. That 351 that you started with is the rated miles. It is kind of helpful to think of it as a separate unit from actual miles. Drive on level ground at 60 mph on a 70 F day and the change in rated miles will be pretty close to the actual miles driven.

many thanks! My take is that no one gets the mileage professed in gag cars either. Quick question; I loss between 3 and 8 miles daily while just sitting idle. I have researched this and from what I can discern this is defined as “phantom loss”. I take it this is normal as well?

I loss between 3 and 8 miles daily while just sitting idle. I have researched this and from what I can discern this is defined as “phantom loss”. I take it this is normal as well?
Yes, any loss while not driving is typically referred to as vampire loss or phantom drain. The owners manual says that approximately 1%/day is what should be expected. So 3 miles/day is within spec. It can be a lot higher if you use sentry mode a lot, or pre-conditioning or overheat protection can contribute.

I used to average a little less than 1%day, but would then go through some phases of high losses. Recently I have had near zero losses, which feels much better. I hate phantom losses; they feel so wasteful.

Once again a question. Charged to 351 miles. Took trip for 104 miles verified by odometer and google maps. Upon arrival my charge indicated 232 mile range remaining. A 15 mile range loss. I understand that ever situation is different (temp, hills, stopping, etc.). That said, is this within the norm to get approximately 87% of indicated range?

The gauge is simply a number indicating how full the tank is. My suggestion is to change the display to Energy, then you will see 0 to 100%. Do not stress about the miles. Much more useful IMO. If you need see to actual predicted range, use the Energy graph. It takes into account your actual driving over the last 5, 15 or 30 miles.

Reactions: henderrj