Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Tesla Road Trip to Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning my first road trip from the US to Canada next weekend. My plan is to cross in to Ontario via the Peace Bridge. I'll be staying several days in the Niagara Region and charge at least once at the Grimsby, ON SC.

Is there anything Tesla related that I need to plan for or be aware of? Will my X's data and gps mapping work as it always has in the US or do I need to obtain/purchase new data service.

Thanks!!

I'm planning my first road trip from the US to Canada next weekend. My plan is to cross in to Ontario via the Peace Bridge. I'll be staying several days in the Niagara Region and charge at least once at the Grimsby, ON SC.

Is there anything Tesla related that I need to plan for or be aware of? Will my X's data and gps mapping work as it always has in the US or do I need to obtain/purchase new data service.
Nope! Just drive! You may choose to change your display from miles to km once you cross, that's it! Enjoy your trip.

• Informative
Reactions: RedFiveZero
Nope! Just drive! You may choose to change your display from miles to km once you cross, that's it! Enjoy your trip.
Alternatively if you keep your display set to miles, once in Canada the car's Speed Assist display system will automatically convert the kph speed limit signs here and display on the dash in equivalent mph. Converse is true when we drive in the US with display set to kilometers. Might be useful if you prefer to think in terms of your home units

With 8.1 17.11.10 the last time I crossed into Canada a few weeks ago the dash was reporting the speed limit as if the signs were in mph but converting them to kph. 90kph on the sign was showing up as 144 on the dash. This had not been true on an earlier firmware but I recall reading here that this bug was also present when S was first released. Please post your experience and firmware version.

Thanks!!
Th
With 8.1 17.11.10 the last time I crossed into Canada a few weeks ago the dash was reporting the speed limit as if the signs were in mph but converting them to kph. 90kph on the sign was showing up as 144 on the dash. This had not been true on an earlier firmware but I recall reading here that this bug was also present when S was first released. Please post your experience and firmware version.

This speed limit posted sign seems to be a problem that many have! When I'm in my home country of Canada everything works fine. But when I cross the border into New York State and change to imperial the display shows a random readout. For example it'll show 34 when I'm on a highway with 55 signage. This has only happened recently, I believe it started after a recent firmware download. I'm currently on 8.1

But when I cross the border into New York State and change to imperial the display shows a random readout. For example it'll show 34 when I'm on a highway with 55 signage
Which firmware version (sub-version of 8.1)? It's not random. The car reads the sign as it it were your native km then converts it automatically to local miles. On a previous firmware and trip from US to Canada after about 5 minutes the car automatically adjusted to the new dimensions, it read and reported signs in kph without me doing anything. If you are seeing this new bug please report it.

Looks like that speed limit conversion problem is AP2 specific and due to some ignorant junior programmer who thinks that all rectangular speed limit signs are in miles per Hour while the circular red ring ones in the rest of the world are km per hour. Absolutely no knowledge of Canada and no testing. With idiot programmers like that how can we trust the rest of the software?

Looks like that speed limit conversion problem is AP2 specific and due to some ignorant junior programmer who thinks that all rectangular speed limit signs are in miles per Hour while the circular red ring ones in the rest of the world are km per hour. Absolutely no knowledge of Canada and no testing. With idiot programmers like that how can we trust the rest of the software?
I saw it today in my AP1 model S - with the latest firmware

Alternatively if you keep your display set to miles, once in Canada the car's Speed Assist display system will automatically convert the kph speed limit signs here and display on the dash in equivalent mph. Converse is true when we drive in the US with display set to kilometers. Might be useful if you prefer to think in terms of your home units
That's not quite true! Tesla has done a number on us North Americans.
Beware if you are coming from the States as your car won't read our signs correctly, being metric.
Unfortunately, it will take a fatality here before Tesla fixes this!