Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First test M3LR 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I finally had the opportunity to test the capabilities of my new Tesla M3LR 2023.
I drove Montreal - Ottawa - Montreal, starting with 90% SOC and arrived back home with 4%. Made a stop of about 1H in Ottawa.
> 419 km / 64 kWh / 152 Wh/km
in US metrics :
> 260 miles / 64 kWh / 4.1 mi/kWh
> The speed used was 10 km/h over highway speed limit (100 Km/h in Quebec and 110 Km/h in Ontario). So I drove 110 Km/h (68 mph) and 120 Km/h (75 mph) whenever the traffic allowed it. The ratio Qc/On speeds drive is about 45/55.
> AC @ 21C Auto

I am impressed !
64 kWh for 86% SOC > 74.4 kWh battery @ 100% SOC
260 miles for 86% SOC > 302 miles @ 100% SOC

Here are some photos :

IMG_2038.jpeg

IMG_2023.jpeg

IMG_2028.jpeg

IMG_2030.jpeg

IMG_2034.jpeg

IMG_2037.jpeg

Last edited:
And for those who wonder, yes, Tesla navigator proposed me to stop @ 34% SOC to a SuC when the % SOC to get home was 5%, but I canceled the stop. I knew I can make it, being that the last part of the trip I was driving @ 68 mph and not 75 mph. But the headwind made it so although I drove slightly slower, I made it home with 4% SOC left.

I would personally be a little concerned at 4%,. Teslas are known to hold out down to the very end though.
I understand your concern, but it is not the first time I drive an EV this deep in the battery. It’s true though, it’s the first time with a Tesla and I wanted to know if I can rely on it. It looks like it passed the test. I wanted to know how reliable is the GOM (if it says 4% SOC at destination, is it really 4% ?) and it looks like it is.

I understand your concern, but it is not the first time I drive an EV this deep in the battery. It’s true though, it’s the first time with a Tesla and I wanted to know if I can rely on it. It looks like it passed the test. I wanted to know how reliable is the GOM (if it says 4% SOC at destination, is it really 4% ?) and it looks like it is.
Just because it was correct about the SOC this time, doesn’t mean it will be next time. Be a little more conservative.

Reactions: voldar
Just because it was correct about the SOC this time, doesn’t mean it will be next time. Be a little more conservative.
Thank you for the info.
When I left Ottawa @ 48% SOC it told me I’ll arrive home with 16%. That was BS, of course, knowing that I used 42% battery to get there. 20 km later it was predicting 6% SOC which was more in line with what I was expecting.
I knew that the ride back should be using a little less energy, being that Ottawa is a little higher altitude than Montreal, but I also knew that wind can be a factor. And always the wind is a factor when I drive back from Ottawa. Early in the morning it’s almost a non-factor, but after 10 a.m. it’s always present.
I also baught a CCS1 adaptor, so in worst case scenario I had a DCFC CCS option to stop for a top up @ Rigaud.

I hope Tesla does at least as good as a job as GM when it’s about the kWh used, % SOC left and the efficiency number. It’s all I need. I wish it would show the instant kW used while driving, not only a line in the upper corner of the screen, though.

And just for the record, I did this test to know what I can expect from my Tesla M3 in a certain driving setup. Of course, if I'd have seen that I will not be able to make it, I would have slow down. Because speed is all that one can control in an EV. Yes, there is also the HVAC but it’s so efficient once the cabin is at the set temperature, that it’s almost not even worth mentioning it.

Last edited: