Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First time drove out of the comfort zone.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was reported that northern New England can see some aurora. During the Labor Day weekend, my friend and I decided to have an impromptu 5-hour trip to Millinoket ME to test our luck where there is the least light pollution in the whole eastern US. Tesla planner advised me to charge in Augusta ME
AF1QipOkIsOdR3CaFYYwuZ7Pzn58jW9qlrwI4PXsc9kg

I did that.
AF1QipPdn79UFYSpo7rl4X8PBoAzjL-niMmJ3eTcBNJq

Our luck was not bad, we did get a glimpse of northern light.
AF1QipO4heGGiy9HIdA3M3tQyApg2QuJTuijTAtZZbF1

AF1QipNjtPUCrSWS5gGiR27eUj0dcC1xiasnD_omdLfs

and some great shots of the Milky Way with the famous summer triangle.
AF1QipPxwTHnKc5cqL9JSN9PlAZim8zEakCO-z2k5bFw

AF1QipNLPothwkbhhhBoyRHaPUQNHnHdTqdUjGW25NMr

But later I realized on our way back would be fairly tight to recharge in Brewer ME which is 77 miles away while we had less then 100 miles range left. Luckily the hotel we stayed has a few 110v outdoor sockets.
AF1QipMKHhyvNRZ3KISDpBu4-VCz2cUvVnzkIyjXB-0p

AF1QipPIMQdzSSDKUSRPr0p-3cjjSuGsHguC-42YGFW7

One of them barely could reach to my car without extension cord. The charge rate was poorly 5 mile/hour.
1f641.png
:( However, it gave us about 50 extra miles when we were ready to leave.

The charge station in Brewer has one great spot which is very easy to pull in and get charged
AF1QipP95xl0oDk52yH4yJb8fCdfmGz8YHjBYkfsCiGe

. Other spots require careful back up due to the short cable of all superchargers. For we stopped in Kennebunkport for a short break and getting more juice as well
AF1QipMBcq-gyyiXcRRyZvf-KqVw7U5sjMPwnR3tmfAU

. We spotted couple bad chargers

. I think it was some users stuck some masking tape to tell other users.

After all, it was a pleasant trip and we tested the autopilot feature quite a bit. My friend took a 10-second video clip for me.
1f609.png
;-)

Great shots and looked like you had a fantastic trip! Per your description, you stopped in Augusta to charge on the way up. My personal preference (if I have time) is always to hit the last supercharger possible before I head out into an area where I'll need to make a roundtrip without another supercharger close (unless I'm 100% sure I have destination charging). So I would have made a quick stop at Augusta to get enough power to make it to Brewer, and then stopped in Brewer and charged to 80-85%. That way I have a little extra in case I take some unexpected detours or decide to explore something else at my destination. Just how I do it though, there's no right or wrong way :). I always take advantage of overnight charging if I can, even if it is just 120v. Anything I gain overnight is time saved at a charging stop the next day.

Great shots and looked like you had a fantastic trip! Per your description, you stopped in Augusta to charge on the way up. My personal preference (if I have time) is always to hit the last supercharger possible before I head out into an area where I'll need to make a roundtrip without another supercharger close (unless I'm 100% sure I have destination charging). So I would have made a quick stop at Augusta to get enough power to make it to Brewer, and then stopped in Brewer and charged to 80-85%. That way I have a little extra in case I take some unexpected detours or decide to explore something else at my destination. Just how I do it though, there's no right or wrong way :). I always take advantage of overnight charging if I can, even if it is just 120v. Anything I gain overnight is time saved at a charging stop the next day.

You are absolutely correct. If I did like what you said, I would have explored a bit more closer to Mt Katahdin. I kept watching the battery status and missed the opportunity to enjoy more. Thanks!