Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Time Model 3 Purchase in BC - Some Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

My wife and I are finally taking the plunge to purchasing our first Tesla - a Model 3 and we have some questions.

1. We're looking at purchasing the SR + base model. We are using it mostly for city driving in the GVRD. We may take a road trip up to Whistler and/or down to Seattle once a year. Would it be worth it to upgrade to the AWD Long range for the extra $10k?

2. I already have a Tesla account set up, but want to use a referral code from a friend. Can I still do so? We're planning to head down to a Tesla store to test drive the Model 3 later this week and if all is good we will place the deposit. Would it be possible to use the referral code at the store or does it have to be done online?

3. Other than the 1500 km of free Supercharging in BC, are there any other incentives from Tesla Canada right now?

4. Despite being a big Tesla fan (and shareholder) for many years, I have never, ever sat in a Tesla, much less driven one. Is there anything in particular I should pay attention to or ask when I'm driving and at the store?

Thanks.
I live in the same place and do those destinations more than once a year. You will absolutely not have a problem with range on an SR+! I can start with 90% in east van, in the snow, with winter tires, drive to whistler and back to Squamish for a 15 minute supercharge then back to Vancouver with about 20% left. For your reasons, you should not waste the extra money on an LR.
For city driving even in the winter if you can charge at home it’s a no brainer just get the SR+. Maybe if you can’t charge at home MAYBE consider the LR for convenience of charging less often, but that’s like an extra $18,000 to create such convenience.

I charge to 80 nightly this winter and drive around the city (not a big distance, but lots of sitting in traffic) and I don’t think I have ever ended the day less than 35%. I drive Up to cypress to go skiing and get home with over 60% remaining. If you aren’t leaving the lower mainland it’s a crazy waste of money to get the LR. RWD worked great in our brief snow last month.

Sure, get the LR for other reasons maybe like faster acceleration and AWD and speakers and heated back seats etc, but not for your stated use/reasons.

@Malbrosia
I am in Vancouver too and would definitely recommend the LR AWD.
I live in Cowichan and have an SR+. I drive 4K-5K km per month.

The LR AWD would be nice, if cost were not a factor. I don’t doubt that I would appreciate the greater range on my same-day return trips to Comox Valley, Campbell River, etc.

But for most people, cost is a factor. If I remember correctly, the increased cost and loss of both the federal and provincial incentives was going to be $20K. I think it is $18K now.

For me, using that money to buy options made more sense. The CHAdeMO charging adaptor has given my usable range a big boost. I got full PPF, FSD, and the Tesla winter wheels package.

@MexiCanuck
I agree with your comments on cost factor. I didn't qualify for any rebates. It seemed that the rebate rules kept changing or I didn't understand them too well. My coworker bought the SR+ RWD and got the rebate a month earlier than when I purchased my LR AWD. The final price of the car was much higher than I expected but fortunately some of my stock investments helped pay for the car. My LR AWD, Black, 18" wheels, autopilot, with premium sound was $77,000 after taxes (crazy luxury tax). And then with ICBC insurance, it was just under $80,000 Cdn. I wanted PPF too but didn't get around doing it. I did buy the chademo but haven't needed to use it yet. But I agree that buying chademo will be useful as Petrocan network expands across Canada. In Vancouver, there are not very many Chademo sites other than one each at most Superstore locations.

No free supercharging at all in BC any more.

It is only the person who refers someone that does not get free supercharging. We have referred 3 people in the last 2 months and while we aren't receiving any free supercharging, they most definitely are. I feel you were misinformed and by not purchasing with a referral code, you lost out on free supercharging.

Before I posted this, I messaged all 3 and they all confirmed they received their 1500km free supercharging.

PS, you're in Kelowna...so am I. We have a local Discord chat group for all us Model 3 owners here, I can send you it :)

It is only the person who refers someone that does not get free supercharging. We have referred 3 people in the last 2 months and while we aren't receiving any free supercharging, they most definitely are. I feel you were misinformed and by not purchasing with a referral code, you lost out on free supercharging.

Before I posted this, I messaged all 3 and they all confirmed they received their 1500km free supercharging.

PS, you're in Kelowna...so am I. We have a local Discord chat group for all us Model 3 owners here, I can send you it :)

Yes, misinformed I guess. It failed for two friends of mine but they may have not used the referral code at the right time.

Yes, please send me the Discord info!

* You want to stay between 10-90% if you can manage it for the health of the battery. *

This is simply not true. Many of the respected youtube testers, and Tesla themselves, have stated and confirmed that there is "buffer" at both ends of the battery, so charging to 100% wont hurt it, and driving to 5% wont hurt it. The average range loss in the first year is 5% then it seems to taper off to a loss of only 2% or so each year after.

The current advice is to charge to 90% daily - unless you need more. I have found that the extra 10% battery doesn't actually go that far due to regen braking not being usable at full battery.

* You want to stay between 10-90% if you can manage it for the health of the battery. *

This is simply not true. Many of the respected youtube testers, and Tesla themselves, have stated and confirmed that there is "buffer" at both ends of the battery, so charging to 100% wont hurt it, and driving to 5% wont hurt it. The average range loss in the first year is 5% then it seems to taper off to a loss of only 2% or so each year after.

The current advice is to charge to 90% daily - unless you need more. I have found that the extra 10% battery doesn't actually go that far due to regen braking not being usable at full battery.
Battery researchers have confirmed that the 10% - 90% ratings are optimal for long term battery care.