Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First time poster - Shopping a used 3.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good evening all. First time post, new to the forums.. Forgive me if out of place where I am putting this...

With that said, I am educated on the basics of the 3, but now seriously looking at pulling the trigger on a used model. (I am located in Orlando, FL, and a fair amount of used models now on the market.)

With that, was hoping the community might have some overall input on the thought of purchasing a used model?

Purpose of this vehicle is a daily driver through the chaotic Orlando market, with limited trips to the coast and some trips along the I-75 corridor to the Chattanooga, TN area. Car enthusiast, have owned a pair of Lotus, AMG's, Porsches, handful of Corvettes, etc. With that said, lived in the hills of Tennessee at the time and had some amazing roads. Now, back in my home town of Orlando and curves and such simply do not exist here.. So.. Here we are...

Few questions I had...

- Buying a used model, have no concept of whether the vehicles will come with chargers or not.. Might you tell me the ordeal of getting chargers and then the act of install? (Forgive the ignorance on this one.)

- The LTE.. (Cell...) Are all units LTE "lifetime" now? Is that transferable?

- Supercharging is not free or included on the 3, correct?

- Any general input the community might have to assist me in the decision of which unit, etc, as I continue to narrow down the direction I am going?

Cannot say enough how much I appreciate any assist here as I jump into a new realm for me!

Thanks again!

Shawn

The LTE plan stays with the car. The charging cable should also be with the car. If it's not, you'll need to make sure the seller gives it to you. There are adaptors that come with the cable as well.

You can charge the car with regular 120V outlets, but it is pretty slow, and there is more energy loss from wall to car. Ideally you will want to install a 240V 50A (NEMA 14-50) outlet so you can charge faster and more efficiently. Tesla's website should have more info on how to install the 14-50.

Good evening all. First time post, new to the forums.. Forgive me if out of place where I am putting this...

With that said, I am educated on the basics of the 3, but now seriously looking at pulling the trigger on a used model. (I am located in Orlando, FL, and a fair amount of used models now on the market.)

With that, was hoping the community might have some overall input on the thought of purchasing a used model?

Purpose of this vehicle is a daily driver through the chaotic Orlando market, with limited trips to the coast and some trips along the I-75 corridor to the Chattanooga, TN area. Car enthusiast, have owned a pair of Lotus, AMG's, Porsches, handful of Corvettes, etc. With that said, lived in the hills of Tennessee at the time and had some amazing roads. Now, back in my home town of Orlando and curves and such simply do not exist here.. So.. Here we are...

Few questions I had...

- Buying a used model, have no concept of whether the vehicles will come with chargers or not.. Might you tell me the ordeal of getting chargers and then the act of install? (Forgive the ignorance on this one.)

- Any general input the community might have to assist me in the decision of which unit, etc, as I continue to narrow down the direction I am going?

Cannot say enough how much I appreciate any assist here as I jump into a new realm for me!

Thanks again!

Shawn
The car comes with a 110/220 wall charger plug but that’s up to the seller on if it’s included. Unsure on the LTE transfer...I bet not. No free supercharging.

Curious on price. What does a used 3 go for? And have you asked them why they are selling?

The car comes with a 110/220 wall charger plug but that’s up to the seller on if it’s included. Unsure on the LTE transfer...I bet not. No free supercharging.

Curious on price. What does a used 3 go for? And have you asked them why they are selling?

Down here in Orlando there are a dozen or so available.. All in the low $50k range.. Few high $40's, some nearly $60k.

One unit in particular I am most interested in, they are acquiring a Model X and only reason for selling.

The LTE plan stays with the car. The charging cable should also be with the car. If it's not, you'll need to make sure the seller gives it to you. There are adaptors that come with the cable as well.

You can charge the car with regular 120V outlets, but it is pretty slow, and there is more energy loss from wall to car. Ideally you will want to install a 240V 50A (NEMA 14-50) outlet so you can charge faster and more efficiently. Tesla's website should have more info on how to install the 14-50.

Thanks much for this!

Few questions I had...

Thanks again!

Shawn

Welcoms, Shawn and best wishes on your search. If you're able to post the VIN it would help answer some of your questions. You can omit the last four digits for privacy.

The car has a built-in charger, and can use from 120v/15a (wall socket) to 240v/50a (electric range socket). For details see the Model 3 manual.

If I'm not mistaken, no used Model 3 comes with free supercharging. I don't believe the "Premium Connectivity" feature is transferable either, meaning you'll be on the hook for $100/year for listening and browsing.

@shawncas if you are looking at a single motor, RWD car, consider the $7500 tax credit and any tax advantages related to a trade-in in your state. If it isn’t outright cheaper to buy new, it will at least help with price justification.

For dual motor cars, delivery this year would be less of a sure thing, so $3750 might be a more realistic number to use.

Welcoms, Shawn and best wishes on your search. If you're able to post the VIN it would help answer some of your questions. You can omit the last four digits for privacy.

The car has a built-in charger, and can use from 120v/15a (wall socket) to 240v/50a (electric range socket). For details see the Model 3 manual.

If I'm not mistaken, no used Model 3 comes with free supercharging. I don't believe the "Premium Connectivity" feature is transferable either, meaning you'll be on the hook for $100/year for listening and browsing.

Will absolutely post some VIN's and love the input on those! Most likely testing one tomorrow.