Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First time taking Model 3 Performance to road course. W/ videos.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone tried going deep and wide on the end of the back stretch so that you almost hit the outside of the apex cone with the right side of the car and then make 1 sweeping turn hitting the inside apex at exit.
Seems like that would give you more time on the long back stretch and more straight angle out of the corner for the next straight.
That last cone is past the apex of the corner it's hard to set on a wide angle lens. It's also kind of deceiving because the long straight is an actual runway and that paved area to the right is a run off area. That last cone is the outside of the track for the corner. Also that back section isn't really straight there are a couple of slight bends you can straighten it out though. There is also a wall to consider coming onto the straight. You may be able to get a few more mph bit if you mess it up the consequences are pretty major. The way most people try to go through there is stay wide and fight the urge to apex at the curbing, then turn in and apex at the corner of the straight then accelerate and let the car work towards the outside as you start onto the straight.

Session 5 was pretty fun. A friend of mine wanted to go for a ride so I had a passenger. I started out around 65% state of charge and pulling out of the pit lane I could feel the power was down. After the warmup lap was over the Audi R8 from session 2 was behind me so I waved him by. It was more of the same and I kept up with him pretty good at first. But as the state of charge dropped so did my ability to keep up coming out of the corners. I still did pretty good gaining on him on the brakes. Eventually we're caught some traffic we had to get by. As we were making a pass on the straight we came up on a mustang. I didn't want to fly by him on the inside then get instinct of him and get on the brakes hard right infront of him. Since it wasn't a race there was no reason to force a pass. After that the Audi pulled away by the time I got around the mustang. I had a clear track but was down around 30% state of charge so it started to feel slow. Once I got around to the start finish it was the end of the session.

I have the in car video from the session uploaded and will work on uploading the GoPro footage later tonight.

After session 5 I was at around 30% state of charge. I had a bit of a dilemma, I could either run to the supercharger and risk missing the last session/ open track or for out on a lower state of charge and be really slow. After talking to the organizer and some friends we decided to do some drag races down the back straight after the open session was done. So I skipped the last session and decided to charge the car. I got back to the track at 88% state of charge and had a blast racing down the straight.

Overall it was an awesome day. Started out with lap times around 2:09 and by session five was down to 2:05. Probably could have done better with a full charge or clear track in session 4.

gotta be tough to drive all day at the track when you can't exactly charge, on-site. Nice videos and give yourself huge props for the improvement over first session as -4 and 5 sessions you were moving well.

Ignore all my info about tire pressures please. Overall the track day took quiet a toll on the car.

The first issue was the broken B Pillar assembly. I ordered a replacement off of a wrecked Model 3. It came in Wednesday afternoon. Yesterday I was going to make a video showing the replacement process but decided to get a hair cut first. After the haircut my barber wanted to check out the car and talk about the track day. He asked about the tires and as I looked down at the front passenger tire I noticed a chunk of tread missing. Looking closer I could see the cords showing. I'm not sure when this happened but I know I didn't notice it at the track. I think it happened on the way home. There were at least 2 chunks missing. I am signed up for a 1/2 mile event tomorrow. It be reckless to try to run the tire like that at the 1/2 mile. So I desperately called around trying to find a shop with tires in stock. Best I could do on short notice was a pair of Nitto 555 G2s could make it to the tire shop yesterday before they close. I hate having miss matched tires, especially on an all wheel drive but I couldn't bring myself to throw away another $530 to throw out the rear tires as well just because 1 front was bad. I made the appointment for 4 because I had to pick my son up at 3 and the shop was about 45 min away.

So after getting the tires ordered I decided to swap out the B pillar assembly. I decided not to do a video on it because I wanted to wash the car as well and was running out of time. In my rush to replace the B Pillar assembly. I didn't think to disconnect the battery and or the connnection under the rear passenger seat. So now I have a warning "Software Update Required. Contact Tesla Service" on the display that won't go away. This afternoon I'm going to try the battery+connector disconnect and hope the hard reset works.

Attachments

• 20191212_135307.jpg
    20191212_135307.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 77
Following the 10 lbs per 1000 lbs car weight guidance. I didn't roll the PS4S over past the arrow so I think pressure was fine. FWIW I run my Hankook RS4 at the same pressure and have had zero issues. PS4S aren't cut out for heavy car track usage IMO. Pumping them up like crazy is a bandaid.

No one recommended, "pumping them up like crazy" but I think 2-4 more psi might have performed better without the problems you encountered. It takes them a little longer to come up to temperature but they will maintain a lower temperature which has multiple benefits when you start pushing them hard. 42 PSI hot translates to around 37 PSI cold. That's pretty low for track work on a relatively heavy car.

Reactions: destructure00
It seems that it's something that pops up when hardware is unplugged and plugged back in.

I set up a service in my app yesterday just incase the hard reset didn't work.

Well while I was at work today I got a voice mail saying the update was pushed to my car and should fix the issue and they were cancelling my service request.

I got home and the last software update said it needed to be installed. I didn't have to connect to wifi or anything. Not sure if it's because I already previously installed the update or if it was because the service center sent the update. But either way it's ready to go now.

Reactions: destructure00