Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First time taking Model 3 Performance to road course. W/ videos.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fair warning this thread is going to be a work in progress as I get videos uploaded and get time to write this up.

I try to do a few track days a year in my cars and on my bikes. But this past weekend was the first time I've been to the track since I bought my Model 3 Performance at the end of September. This event was at Inde Motorsports Ranch in Arizona. I've been here multiple times in cars and on bikes. But everytime in the past that I've been here we've run clockwise in the fast configuration. This time we ran counter clockwise in the non-fast configuration which adds 4 corners and takes away a straightaway. In the clockwise configuration most corners are off camber (I think there is 1 positive camber corner) increasing radius with a couple blind corner entries. Counter clockwise most turns are decreasing radius the camber is the same and there are about the same amount of blind entry corners but they are different corners.

There were 4 run groups doing 15 min sessions each. Normally with this organizer I'm in the 2nd group. The organizer assigns groups based on their personal knowledge of the drivers, the cars they are bringing and past experience. There were a lot of people in group one that overflowed into group 2. Pretty much all of group one was on slicks and most of group 2 was on performance / track tires. They underestimated the Tesla and I was on factory street tires so I was put in group 3. Since this was my first time going counter clockwise and driving the Model 3 Performance on track I figured this was the for the best. A side benefit was a few people asked to bump up or down out of group 3 so it had the least car's on track.

I took the first session pretty easy trying to figure out the car and relearn the track going the opposite direction. At first the car seemed a little unpredictable and disconnected when I was just driving at a slightly spirited pace. I wasn't trail braking into corners and wasn't powering out of them at first. The last couple laps in the first session I started pushing it a little more and noticed the more I pushed the car the better it felt. The first session going on track I waited and jumped into the back of the line to ensure I wouldn't hold anyone up and had room to back off if it was getting too congested. The first session the track manager went out and drove in the front for the sighting/ warmup lap. Somehow a guy in an S2000 spun out on the paced sighting lap. Well that guy ended up coming back on the track behind me. On the 3rd turn of the first lap the Subaru WRX in front of me turned in too hard hopped the curbing on the inside then overcorrected and ran off track on the outside. I caught up to a mustang and got held up a little because passing was only allowed when pointed by from the driver of the car ahead of you. As I was driving I could see the S2000 behind me going sideways and having tires dip off track almost every turn. He looked like he was driving above his means and I feared he might run into me coming off the straight so I let off and waved him by. Once he was ahead of me he slowed down without someone to follow but was still having trouble keeping the car on the track and being smooth. We caught up to another mustang but as we finished the lap they waved the checkered flag signaling the end of the season. I used about 17% battery that session.

Had about a 45 minute break before the next session and remembered I didn't turn on my Harry's Lap Timer app. So i started messing with that and realized I needed to update the app to load the track. About the time the update finished it was time to go back out.

To be continued... I gotta go do some stuff.

• Informative
Reactions: Arpe
Heading out to the 2nd session I tried turning on the video feature of the Harry's lap timer app but there was a pop up I couldn't read with the phone in the mount. It didn't start recording video. I stayed around 75% charge.

This session felt pretty good from the start. I didn't go all out but I was feeling pretty confident in the car and going faster than before. I ended up catching up to an Audi R8 in some traffic and following him around most of the session. He was braking more than I would going into a few corners and speeding out of them. Overall we were pretty evenly matched he was faster in some sections than I was and slower than I was in others. As the laps went on and my charge dropped I could notice the acceleration of the Model 3 getting slower. Especially going onto the back straight. He would pull ahead pretty good but I would gain it back on the brakes. I wasn't really pushing the limits on the brakes yet probably going to about what I felt like was 75% or so and braking at a reasonable distance from the start of the turn in point. We got caught up in some slower traffic towards the end of the session but it was a pretty good session. My best lap was a 2:07, I think and most were around the 2:08/2:09 mark.

I'm trying to upload the video of the session now.

To be continued...

What part of AZ are you in? What group do you run with? I'm in North Phoenix, been out with NASA several times. They are doing Inde next year, would like to run there if I can. Is there any power on site? I've found I have to be tied to a 14-50 the entire time I'm not running to make it through more than 2 sessions.

What part of AZ are you in? What group do you run with? I'm in North Phoenix, been out with NASA several times. They are doing Inde next year, would like to run there if I can. Is there any power on site? I've found I have to be tied to a 14-50 the entire time I'm not running to make it through more than 2 sessions.

I run with Desert Street Cars, it's a small car group of friends. You can find them on Facebook they try to do a couple days a year there. I'm southeast of Tucson. I didn't see any open 220 outlets but I also didn't ask. Yeah I could only do about 2 sessions before the power loss became noticable to the point it was annoying. I ran to the supercharger in Willcox at lunch and made it back right at the start of my group. Then I skipped the last session to go supercharge because some of us decided to do some drags down the straight away at the end of the day.

Reactions: destructure00
I realized I haven't mentioned the tire pressures I was using. Before going I looked online for the recommended pressure for using the pilot 4s tires on the track. I found an article where a Michelin rep stated that they recommend running the tires at the vehicle's recommended cold temp for your hot pressure. So for the Model 3 Performance 45psi hot. The rep also stated that the tires perform well around 35psi but can feel greasy above 40 psi. So I started the day out at 40psi warm (the car sat for about an hour after driving to the track). During the first session tire pressures went up to around 47psi. I dropped them down to 40psi hot. Going out for the second session tire pressure dropped to around 38psi. 38 psi was too low but once they got up to temp they felt great. They got back up to 45psi hot and felt great.

3rd session I felt like I had a pretty good feel for the car and the track. So I tried to get to the front of the line to get on the track, hoping to get some clear track. The S2000 from the 1st session was at the front followed by a Mazda hatchback then me. After the warmup lap the Mazda pointed me by pretty quickly. It didn't take long to catch up to the S2000 and I followed him for about half a lap I think. He tried pointing me by on a weird section of the track but I didn't want to risk having us get together mid corner so I waited for the straight. On the straight I don't think he realized I was planning on passing him. After getting around him he tried to keep up but about half a lap later his engine appeared to blow. I didn't notice it when it happened but my TeslaCam picked it up. I had some clear track for a bit before catching up to a Shelby Cobra that was taking some weird lines and kicking up a lot of rocks. After getting by the Cobra the session ended. I was down below 30% stated of charge. But luckily they take a lunch break so the corner workers get a break.

I drove the 12 miles (18 minutes to the supercharger) and was there about an hour charging. I made it back to the track right as they were letting my group onto the track. I quickly set up my camera and put my helmet on to get out there.

Reactions: Arpe
My 4th session was pretty interesting. As I pulled back onto the paddock they were starting to let my group back onto the track. I went to the area I was parked took my water bottle out, put the camera on the car and put my helmet on. About 3/4 through the warmup lap I realised I didn't put the car in track mode. Not wanting to lose anymore time I decided to try to do the session in regular driving mode.

On the first lap I caught up to a built for the track Shelby Cobra. It had massive tires and a huge wing on the back. The car wasn't rotating as easily in the corners so I wasn't able to get on the gas as early as before. I was trying to keep my corner speed up but the Cobra was really slowing down going into the corners and accelerating hard out of them. I'd lose a lot of drive coming into the corners and wasn't able to keep up on the corner exits. I was trying to stay close enough to him he'd give me a point by but far enough back my car wasn't being pelted by debris he was kicking up. Coming down the straight he pulled ahead of me pretty far. But he started braking way early and easy too long. I was gaining on him pretty fast even though I was in the brakes pretty hard. I had them pressed to the point where it felt like if I pressed a little abs would kick in. He was still slowing down and hadn't turned in yet. We were going into a high speed left turn both setup on the right side of the track. I didn't want to dive up the inside of him because this isnt a race and I didn't want him to cut hard left as I was going by and have an accident. I was closing in on him pretty hard and worried he wasn't going to turn in time. So I decided I needed to see how well 100% braking worked and pressed the pedal a little harder. This is where it got scary. ABS kicked back once then the pedal felt like stepping on a horse turd as it slowly sank almost to the floor. It felt like someone opened the bleeder valve on the caliper. Luckily he turned in before I hit him. I got right up on him trying to let him know I wanted by. The passing rules for the day were by point by only. I had a warning pop up on the screen saying that blindspot detection was limited. I thought that was odd but thought maybe a bug splattered on it.

As we made our way around to the straight he again floored it and took off. Then I gained on him pretty good in the braking zone even though I let off and stayed breaking early I was still having to get on the brakes harder and longer than necessary. I had a brake temperature warning pop up. The rest of the session was pretty much the same.

Afterwards I looked at my car and the drivers side B pillar was shattered. The track mandates that you drive with your windows open in case they need to drag you out. It looked like a rock had flown up and hit the side of the B pillar glass pane causing it to shatter. Also looking at my brakes it looked like my calipers had leaked at the bleeder valve when I got on the brakes hard. So I'll have to get those things fixed. This session used about 30% of the battery so I was around 65% state of charge at the end of it.

Attachments

• 20191207_135204.jpg
    20191207_135204.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 106
  • 20191207_135141.jpg
    20191207_135141.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 64
Did you bleed your brakes prior to your track day? Mine looked like that, turns out it was just residual brake fluid inside the bleeder fitting. Stock pads get really hot and glaze over then make the residual fluid inside the fitting boil. Sucks about the B pillar glass.

If your pedal went to the floor, pull your pads. I bet they are pretty trashed. The stock pads suck for track use. I've correlated the brake temp warning to glazed pads in the few track days I've had.

COoTeR,

nice video! What's your overall impression on the braking and turn-ins? Did you have regen set to low or high, also traction control settings. I should be getting a Model 3P+ (not to be mistaken for a ///M3) before the end of the year. I've been so use to my 5/6-speed BMWs, I think I'm going to have to relearn how to drive. I was able to run a Model 3P+ in the canyons in SoCal but didn't push too hard because I had the SA with me. I notice I seem to always lift too soon and with the regen on high, it was like braking way too early. Then I reset it to low. Maybe I just wasn't confident with the car yet. Also I notice I could feel the inside rear getting light when pushing hard on the turn-ins when late apexing and this car is heavy. Your impressions? It was 3P+ or the M2 Competition F87 but I got out voted by the boss because of too many E's and F's we already have.

3rd session I felt like I had a pretty good feel for the car and the track. So I tried to get to the front of the line to get on the track, hoping to get some clear track. The S2000 from the 1st session was at the front followed by a Mazda hatchback then me. After the warmup lap the Mazda pointed me by pretty quickly. It didn't take long to catch up to the S2000 and I followed him for about half a lap I think. He tried pointing me by on a weird section of the track but I didn't want to risk having us get together mid corner so I waited for the straight. On the straight I don't think he realized I was planning on passing him. After getting around him he tried to keep up but about half a lap later his engine appeared to blow. I didn't notice it when it happened but my TeslaCam picked it up. I had some clear track for a bit before catching up to a Shelby Cobra that was taking some weird lines and kicking up a lot of rocks. After getting by the Cobra the session ended. I was down below 30% stated of charge. But luckily they take a lunch break so the corner workers get a break.

I drove the 12 miles (18 minutes to the supercharger) and was there about an hour charging. I made it back to the track right as they were letting my group onto the track. I quickly set up my camera and put my helmet on to get out there.

Cobra really held you up for way too long.

Reactions: cOoTeR
Has anyone tried going deep and wide on the end of the back stretch so that you almost hit the outside of the apex cone with the right side of the car and then make 1 sweeping turn hitting the inside apex at exit.
Seems like that would give you more time on the long back stretch and more straight angle out of the corner for the next straight.

Did you bleed your brakes prior to your track day? Mine looked like that, turns out it was just residual brake fluid inside the bleeder fitting. Stock pads get really hot and glaze over then make the residual fluid inside the fitting boil. Sucks about the B pillar glass.

If your pedal went to the floor, pull your pads. I bet they are pretty trashed. The stock pads suck for track use. I've correlated the brake temp warning to glazed pads in the few track days I've had.

I hadn't bled them before so if there was any fluid in there it's been sitting there for around 3,000 miles from the factory. The pads were doing fine most of the day because I wasn't going full or on them. They felt a little soft after coming up to temperature so I wasn't as confident with them as I wanted to be. I'm definitely going to look into better pads and fluid now that I have a baseline feel for the car.

COoTeR,

nice video! What's your overall impression on the braking and turn-ins? Did you have regen set to low or high, also traction control settings. I should be getting a Model 3P+ (not to be mistaken for a ///M3) before the end of the year. I've been so use to my 5/6-speed BMWs, I think I'm going to have to relearn how to drive. I was able to run a Model 3P+ in the canyons in SoCal but didn't push too hard because I had the SA with me. I notice I seem to always lift too soon and with the regen on high, it was like braking way too early. Then I reset it to low. Maybe I just wasn't confident with the car yet. Also I notice I could feel the inside rear getting light when pushing hard on the turn-ins when late apexing and this car is heavy. Your impressions? It was 3P+ or the M2 Competition F87 but I got out voted by the boss because of too many E's and F's we already have.

My last car was a 473whp Camaro with a 6 speed manual transmission. Having the regen set to low seems pointless to me in this car after driving a manual for so long. Having regen set in standard (only options for regen are low or standard) feels like having a manual transmission in low gear all the time without having to worry about rev matching. In track mode the regen loads the front engine more making turning in a little easier. Then on corner exit the car is allowed to slide a little but is relatively predictable and easy to manage. It doesn't crab walk towards the outside of the turn like most awd cars I've been in do under power. If the rear starts getting out too much a little bit of throttle seemed to pull it out of the slide.

The car is hard to describe its very well natured on the street and really stable when pushing it hard on the track. But when in between normal driving and pushing the car it doesn't seem as stable or confidence inspiring. So for me mild spirited driving is all I'll do on the street. A pushed street pace is a little tricky to keep it safe. Driving at at track pace on the street in any car is reckless in my opinion so I won't do it. Don't get me wrong the car is great on the street but I know the feeling you had with the test drive. It needs to be either driven normally or pushed hard the 3/4-7/8 pace is a little squirrelly.

The actual braking system is great on the street but it gets hot and soft at the track pretty quick. I've read that pads and better fluids will fix that so I'm going to give it a try.

It was a bit of a learning experience trying to learn how to drive the car hard. But our was pretty easy to figure out. It's definitely better on the track than my Camaro other than the actual brakes.