Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Trip to the Service Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We took our M3 in for replacement of the large roof glass. I caused the problem so expect to pay. I was totally unimpressed by the SC. It was not easy to find as it was behind another building and once inside the impression did not improve. A huge white room with two desks, for the one service writer and four comfy chairs for waiting. No TV, no beverages or food and the bathroom was "Out of Order". The service writer was pleasant and efficient. The surroundings were not what a Mercedes of BMW would expect and really not what any new car owner would expect. I did hear the service writer tell the customer in line ahead of me, not to call as he seldom answered the phone as he was there by himself. He did give him a text number. Lots of room for improvement.

Did they offer you a loaner car or something so you can go elsewhere while waiting?

I think Tesla is still developing its SC and customer service models as I hear so many different experiences of owners communicating with Tesla reps. I hope for the best but I prepare (mentally) for a disaster as my closest SC is over 250 miles from me.

We took our M3 in for replacement of the large roof glass. I caused the problem so expect to pay. I was totally unimpressed by the SC. It was not easy to find as it was behind another building and once inside the impression did not improve. A huge white room with two desks, for the one service writer and four comfy chairs for waiting. No TV, no beverages or food and the bathroom was "Out of Order". The service writer was pleasant and efficient. The surroundings were not what a Mercedes of BMW would expect and really not what any new car owner would expect. I did hear the service writer tell the customer in line ahead of me, not to call as he seldom answered the phone as he was there by himself. He did give him a text number. Lots of room for improvement.

Yeah, I hope I never need to bring my car to the service center as mine is not too different from what you describe. Mobile Service is a much better solution as long as the work can be done in the field.

I realize they are still in expansion mode and need to watch spending but they are selling enough cars now where they should invest in some buildings in nicer locations instead of stuck in some strip mall or behind some industrial warehouse. It just cheapens the whole experience.

I spent an hour at the Costa Mesa service center waiting to pick up some tires. When I went to use the bathroom I noticed it was completely out of both soap and towels.

For the next hour I proceeded to watch a number of Tesla technicians go in and out of the bathroom on their breaks and not one bothered to mention to anyone that there were no soap and towels anywhere to be found.

I made a point to hope I never needed to go to the service center again after that visit.

The only SC I’ve been to so far is not great. The local BMW dealers are much nicer in basically all aspects.

It’s too bad the BMW cars don’t have anything even close to competitive to the Tesla powertrain. I decided I’d rather have a superior car to drive every day and put up with inferior but highly infrequent (crosses fingers) SC visits. And the mobile rangers also help avoid SC visits.

Maybe someday a company will have it all, but until then I have no regrets.