Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my MY LR Tuesday last week and left next day on a little vacation trip, around 600 miles. Here are my thoughts.

For reference, I’m coming from a 2018 Volvo XC60 with V6 engine and lots of goodies.

1. I like the Tesla’s power. Not usually needed, but fun

2. Lots of room to pack things in various trunks. At least as much room as Volvo if not more.

3. Auto Steering works very well so far, with one exception: a couple of times, when I approached a passing lane with a line between the main and passing lanes (on a two-lane road), the car started to head for one side, then abruptly switched to the other side. Disconcerting. At least the Tesla never gradually drifted into the other lane like my Volvo occasionally did.

4. Adaptive Cruise Control works well in general, but on a 2-lane road, maybe a dozen times in all, the car abruptly slowed down 5-10 mph, then quickly resumed set speed. In several cases I saw traffic appear in the opposing lane at a great distance; a couple of times we’d just passed some road sign; in a few cases I could see no reason at all. It was fairly annoying (and the Volvo NEVER did this.)

5. Charged at SuperChargers and other brands with no problem. At our cabin I used a 50-ft 12-ga extension cord to charge from a 110 outlet. No problem.

6. The visibility out the back seems quite poor…small window and pretty dark through the smoked glass.

7. I really missed the blind spot warnings on the side mirror like the Volvo. Having to look to the right to the screen before bearing left seems quite clumsy; the mirror display is safer, I think.

All in all, we’re enjoying the Tesla, but wondering about the lack of radar (as are most people, I guess.)

Mike