Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot smoother than FSD - Am I crazy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2023 (Nov. 2023 built from Fremont) MYLR came with 3 months FSD. That just expired and the software updated to 2024.2.7 and all I have is Autopilot now. Previously had 2023.44.30.7 and FSD 11.4.9 beta.

I drove about 100 miles today in mostly rural two lane, a little bit of four lane and some city streets. My impression is that Autopilot is much smoother than FSD. On the highway the steering wheel seems much less busy, the braking with TACC and adjustments when following vehicles seems less abrupt. When there is cross traffic on a side road it doesn't abruptly slow down for no reason other than a car sitting still at the cross road vs. FSD which braked for nearly every vehicle on a cross road and most all traffic signals regardless of whether red, yellow or green. Overall so far, I like Autopilot much better than full FSD. Maybe something will change but for now happier with Autopilot.

No issues with wipers - stayed off all day in various light conditions on a dry day.

Anybody else noticed this difference?

I'm in almost the same situation so hopefully I have the same experience. I'm on 2023.44.30.x and have about 10 days left on the FSD trial and have all the same complaints with cruise control. My car brakes so frequently on the roads I drive for my commute that I'm planning to add a pair of multiplexors on the accelerator signals so I can automatically override the automatic braking when cruise control is engaged.

My multiplexor is my right foot - instead of driving with my foot hovering over the brake pedal in case it goes wild I find myself hovering my foot over the accelerator pedal and quite often have to use it to avoid those sudden slowdowns that could cause a rear-end accident. I VERY rarely need to use the brake. The accelerator A LOT, but again I find Autopilot less in need of intervention vs FSD.

Mine is much smoother since the fsd trial expired. Seems like the difference is the car isn’t trying to recognize as many signs, lights etc. When I had the trial my car would always see these things as yellow lights and would slam the brakes.

1709318605601.jpeg

Would also occasionally see taillights as red lights even though I’m on a limited access highway. And seemed to have more false positives for emergency lights.