Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Year Ownership Costs for Model S - Incredible Value

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think one of the things that amazes me day to day is how much is included with the Model S -- so many things that I paid for in other vehicles is standard. The last new car I bought was a 2001 Toyota Celica. After buying it, I paid around $2500 for a aftermarket GPS/Infotainment/iPod system, and $700 for LoJack to be installed. If I had added Bluetooth integration it would have cost another $200. That's almost $4000 in features that comes standard with the Model S.

Recently, as I passed the 12,500 mile mark I took my Model S in for the annual inspection. They found that my passenger door handle was malfunctioning and replaced it at no cost. For $600 they replaced my windshield wipers, checked everything, rotated the tires, replaced the batteries on the fobs, and gave me a loaner for the day.

I drive less now than I did in 2001, and after a year in the Celica, I had accumulated over 20,000 miles. On my Celica, I had to do the following: 6 oil changes, 10k, 15k, and 20k services. Total cost of oil changes and services for the Celica in 2001: $750. That cost does not include loaner rentals when it went in for major services, which could easily add on another $200 or so. On my Celica, I also had to replace tires at 30k (3 years later) for $450. I expect I'll have to do the same for the Model S (if not later -- the amount of tread left after a year is pretty good).
I am not sure how this is surprising or amusing that a car that is 15+ years newer and in the 2x or more price category has more Tech options included. I bet 2001 Celica cam with many more options (air bags, ABS,?) than a car that costed half its price 15 years earlier (base 1986 civic?).

Also, you should never count upgrades you added to your car as "cost of ownership" . Some people here spend many thousands of dollars customizing their brand new Model S, but they don't go telling people how expensive the first year of ownership is. By your logic, my first year of MS ownership should be $20,000+.

I've spent $34 on my LEAF over 3 years (new wipers and new cabin air filter and washer fluid). It will need new tires soon. 28k miles.

Got you beat. I've bought TWO sets of wipers for my Leaf and have washed it twice in 2.5 yrs of ownership with only 5 months left on my lease. It takes a beating and keeps on ticking. Nothing breaks on that car (probably because there is nothing to break).

Reactions: pjoseph and croman