Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker Karma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also the 600 and S550 are one size class above the Model S and the Fisker Karma (interior volume wise and also general market, since those fit the full size sedan, luxobarge, market).

What's closer to the Karma and the Model S is the Mercedes CLS, Porsche Panamera, Aston Martin Rapide (4300-4400lbs even for the heavier versions) since they are all 4 door luxury sports cars. The Model S carries a lot of batteries, so it is expected to be heavy, but I think Tesla still wants to keep it under 5k lbs.

The Fisker article says the Karma will be over.

Last edited:
Also the 600 and S550 are one size class above the Model S and the Fisker Karma (interior volume wise and also general market, since those fit the full size sedan, luxobarge, market).

What's closer to the Karma and the Model S is the Mercedes CLS, Porsche Panamera, Aston Martin Rapide (4300-4400lbs even for the heavier versions) since they are all 4 door luxury sports cars. The Model S carries a lot of batteries, so it is expected to be heavy, but I think Tesla still wants to keep it under 5k lbs.

The Fisker article says the Karma will be over.

I figured that, but I was going on exterior dimensions. The Karma is ridcously large compared to its interior space due to the roof line and other design aspects. If Fisker wouldve changed the roof height and slope, I'd guess the karma would be pretty close to a LS (short wheel base). I'm pretty sure the Model S will have a large amount of interior space, maybe even enough to move it into a different class. :)

I figured that, but I was going on exterior dimensions. The Karma is ridcously large compared to its interior space due to the roof line and other design aspects. If Fisker wouldve changed the roof height and slope, I'd guess the karma would be pretty close to a LS (short wheel base). I'm pretty sure the Model S will have a large amount of interior space, maybe even enough to move it into a different class. :)

It is definitely large externally for its interior space. The wheel base is ~10in longer than competitors and it is consistently shorter and wider by a couple of inches. However, overall length is lesser than the Rapide.

But 5000+lbs is still very portly for a sports car (the LS 600h isn't intended to be sporty), so hopefully they work a bit on weight reduction.

Last edited:
So you are saying the Model S will be good for people who have to live in their cars.

lol, how about it's for people that want space and can be used as a CUV replacement. I like the way the Fisker Karma looks, the quality that has gone into it but, the interior space is really a sticking point for me. Fisker went the route of form over function and it cost them interior and trunk space.

But 5000+lbs is still very portly for a sports car (the LS 600h isn't intended to be sporty), so hopefully they work a bit on weight reduction.
The LS 600hl is pretty sporty (with a 5.6sec 0-60), it was designed to go against the BMW and MB 12 cylinder engines (which have under 5.0 sec 0-60). So the LS 600hl, Tesla Model S and Fisker Karma will have about the same 0-60.

Last edited:
The LS 600hl is pretty sporty (with a 5.6sec 0-60), it was designed to go against the BMW and MB 12 cylinder engines (which have under 5.0 sec 0-60). So the LS 600hl, Tesla Model S and Fisker Karma will have about the same 0-60.

By sports car, I include power, handling, and looks. The LS 600hl, S600, 760Li Series, are all luxobarges. They can go fast in a straight line with the right engine, but they can't be considered sport cars (they don't look the part either). Like Rolls Royce and Bentleys they have huge powerful engines, but are better suited for the limo role and not as much a driver's car.

The CLS, Panamera, Rapide, on the other hand, aim to be 4 door sports coupes and tend to have pretty good handling (they would destroy the luxobarges on a track). My point is that the Karma and Model S definitely fit into this category instead of the former one.

Interesting comparison of a car which will not be on the market until spring versus a car which will not be on the market for almost another two years.
I hope you are not a math teacher.
Model S to market by 2nd quarter of 2012
Karma to market by spring 2011 (2nd qtr 2011 for those who don't know what spring is)

Nobody has driven the Karma yet, and it's months away from delivery, hmmm.

Don't worry, you're safe, I'm not a math teacher. By all accounts noted on this forum and elsewhere, the Model S will not be on the market until late 2012, by which I take not to mean in the spring. It's all semantics anyway; I'm just trying to make a point.

With the resources that Tesla has access to, I suppose there is a chance that Tesla can bring the Model S to market when they say they will, at the price point that they have quoted, with the performance that they have promised. It just gets tiresome reading things all over this forum like "The Model S is so much better than the Volt/Leaf/sliced bread." I have a problem with people making present tense comparisons of a vehicle which is not yet even in prototype stage. It'd be like Dodge fanboys saying the 2012 Viper is a better car than today's Corvette.

According to Teslas latest investors presentation, the model s is still on schedule to be released mid 2012.

The reason that people say that the S is better than the Leaf/Volt is because it's true. It would get old if it wasn't true.

Tesla is the reason that other manufacturers started reluctantly producing EV's.

The reason that people say that the S is better than the Leaf/Volt is because it's true.

Understand that at this point the Model S is a spec sheet. So the correct words are not IS but rather WILL BE (maybe). You're implying I can say I will be building a 400hp, 400 mile range EV in the next couple of years, and brag about how much better it IS than the Roadster?

Anyhow any more Model S discussion should be in a Model S thread. Please stay on topic.