Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker Karma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I indicated above, I think the Model S is a prime example of a $90K car (pre-incentive) that sells somewhere "near that volume."...In 1Q2013 Tesla was selling at a 20K/year annual pace in the US only, with an average price per car of about $90K. Lots of P85s, with lots of options, which meant lots of cars over $100K. To me that suggests that the Karma projection was reasonable.
There's a big difference between average price and base price. I'm taking purely about base price.

Base price is very important (even if few buy the base model) because it's the price people look at before even considering the car. I'm willing to bet if the base price of the Model S started at $90k pre-credit, there would be way less buyers (vs the $70k right now, and esp. the $57k back then). We have so many stories in the forum here of people looking at the base model (some even started from 40kWh) and then slowly being pushed upwards.

Plus we don't have statistics on the average price of the Model Ss sold so far.

Also, Fisker back then would not be looking at Model S sales (since the Model S didn't even exist yet). They would be looking at existing ICE cars and I'm struggling to find an example (even for average price).

Last edited:
But it's really not 20,000 Model S deliveries in the first year. Remember, the first Model S delivery was in July 2012 (similar to the first Fisker Karma delivery in December 2011) . So in reality we have seen 13k-14K Model S deliveries in the first 12 months. And that was from a manufacturer delivering their 2nd vehicle, not their first, as was the case with Fisker. No experience, no track record, no credibility. 15K in the first 12 months was totally unrealistic IMO.

You are correct that it was Tesla delivering their 2nd vehicle but it was the first they manufactured themselves. Fisker had the Karma produced for them (as Tesla did with the Roadster) by contracted manufacturer and then the car was delivered to the US. For the Roadster, final assembly was done in California with the battery pack and powertrain. I don't know what other assembly was done on the Karma. Was it basically delivered fully assembled? It's actually more appropriate to compare Tesla's experience with the delivery of 125 Roadsters a month or so than with the Karma than their ramp up on the Model S. The Karma ended up costing almost as much (base price) as the Roadster so was always going to be a slightly smaller market than the Model S (4 seats instead of 5 seats further limits market but not as much as a 2 seater does). Tesla had the advantage of working out some of their issues with a first car on a much smaller scale which helped them by the time they went to the Model S.

Full steam on Model S production didn't really seem to happen until November if I remember correctly so we will see if Tesla hits 20,000 by the end of 2013. Delivering a vehicle seems much easier than producing a vehicle. Remember, Fisker also had established auto dealers delivering their cars so the delivery part was easy. It turned out that having the car built overseas (like the Roadster) and getting the bugs and other issues solved was the tough part.

It's great to have someone like you here who has both cars and can speak from experience so thanks. I agree 15,000 in the first year for Fisker was a little unrealistic and that hurt them in the end.

But it's really not 20,000 Model S deliveries in the first year. Remember, the first Model S delivery was in July 2012 (similar to the first Fisker Karma delivery in December 2011) . So in reality we have seen 13k-14K Model S deliveries in the first 12 months. And that was from a manufacturer delivering their 2nd vehicle, not their first, as was the case with Fisker. No experience, no track record, no credibility. 15K in the first 12 months was totally unrealistic IMO.

You're correct, Dennis, it isn't 20K in year one (the official release date for the Model S was June 22, 2012). That said, Tesla has not been able to meet demand for its cars in foreign markets. It also was not able to ramp up its sales as quickly as it would have liked, given supply problems and bugs. Had Tesla had a smoother launch, including sales outside the US in its first nine months, they would have sold more cars in the first year - likely more than 20K.

Of course, things happen when one releases a car. Bugs happen. One can't sell in all countries on day 1. And as a summary point, in hindsight, I think that Fisker's projections were too optimistic - including how long it would take to release the car and the sales volumes, among many others. Hindsight certainly supports that.

But were they impossible as of the state of things in 2008? I don't think so, based on the early specs. The problem is that reality hit them, and they didn't revise their projections downward.

Also, projections like these are seen all the time in start-ups. That's why financial markets apply high discount rates to these projections, by people who have an incentive to project high so as to obtain funding. I've worked on several matters in which investors were unhappy after the dust settled and the early projections weren't met. But that's what due diligence is for. Kick the tires. And if you don't agree, don't invest.

So to me the question is whether the projections were completely unrealistic as of 2008 or 2009. I think they were aggressive, and I thought so then, but not "totally unrealistic." And obviously a lot of people felt the same way, with investors voting with over $1 billion of their money. (note: that investment was in Fisker generally, not a bet on whether they were going to hit 15K cars in year one - but many people bought into Fisker's story).

Were they "totally unrealistic" by the middle of 2011, when the car had risen in price to $96K base model pre-incentives, and the compromises in specs were apparent? I say absolutely.

As regards the question of whether the Karma release was more like the Model S or the Roadster, I suggest that it was in between.

Fisker had a dealer network. Fisker had built some of his own cars (e.g., Tramonto), though they were really just altered BMWs and Mercedes. Fisker arguably had more auto industry experience than Tesla. Fisker's model was to use others' expertise and experience rather than building it in house. The Karma was pitched as an $80K, sexy, four-seater (and it wasn't clear whether that $80K was pre- or post-incentives - that didn't become apparent until late in 2008 or early 2009). The Karma has almost identical exterior dimensions to the Model S.

On the other hand, Tesla certainly learned more from the Roadster than . The Karma was not pitched as a 7-seater. Fisker may have pitched that they wanted to out-source, but that meant added risk. Fisker's DOE loan was really for the Atlantic, while it appears that Tesla didn't have to pitch the Model S as a first-gen car that was going to lead to something that would meet the DOE's criteria. And several other differences.

I guess my point is that I'm just not into hyperbole with statements like: "totally unrealistic," "no track record," "no experience," and "no credibility." Obviously they had some credibility at the time, at least with some people, like the DOE and several wealthy investors.

I think that had Fisker delivered on the early specs and had a smooth rollout, they may very well have hit 15K in year one.

And as to your point in post #2142, stopcrazypp, I totally agree that a $90K car pre-incentive is different from a $57.4K car pre-incentive. As I wrote above, the Karma was not originally pitched as $80K post-incentive. There was no mention of incentives. It was $80K - full stop. The Model S was at that time pitched as having three battery options, with the lowest having a base price of $57.4K pre-incentives. And Tesla's prospectus described how they expected to get $25K per car above that. But the data and announcements were clear that the Karma was going to in general be more expensive than the Model S. And Fisker's story on that was more in line with what the reporters were saying: a guilt-free supercar with HOV benefits and no range anxiety. And that would have offered something beyond what the Model S was expected to offer.

And Fisker's story on that was more in line with what the reporters were saying: a guilt-free supercar with HOV benefits and no range anxiety. And that would have offered something beyond what the Model S was expected to offer.

In addition to the lack of HOV, I really feel the slow acceleration was a critical blow. I do feel that impressive stats and a feeling of power is what sells these sort of expensive cars. 0-60 in 6.3 seconds was just too slow for people to feel it was a "guilt-free supercar" when the similarly priced Model S perf had under 5 second 0-60 (and the fact that the gasoline engine needed to be running to even get that ate into the "guilt-free" part). When people spend that kind of money on a car they want to be able to brag, not be defensive over the stats. For some people it didn't matter, but I believe it vastly reduced the number of people willing to shell out that kind of cash for the car. The so-so acceleration in a really stylish car reminds me so much of the Delorean.

In addition to the lack of HOV, I really feel the slow acceleration was a critical blow. I do feel that impressive stats and a feeling of power is what sells these sort of expensive cars. 0-60 in 6.3 seconds was just too slow for people to feel it was a "guilt-free supercar" when the similarly priced Model S perf had under 5 second 0-60 (and the fact that the gasoline engine needed to be running to even get that ate into the "guilt-free" part). When people spend that kind of money on a car they want to be able to brag, not be defensive over the stats. For some people it didn't matter, but I believe it vastly reduced the number of people willing to shell out that kind of cash for the car. The so-so acceleration in a really stylish car reminds me so much of the Delorean.

I agree 100%. Even at 5.9 seconds, that isn't very "supercar." More like a sheep in wolf's clothing. And having that engine sound in order to do that acceleration was an omigoodness realization. I understand that has been improved, though I'm not sure how much. Dennis? SoCalGuy?

That said, in 2008 and 2009 there was no mention of the Model S Perf and 4.X sec 0-60 acceleration. That wasn't announced until late September of 2011. Until that time the Model S was touted as being able to do 0-60 in 5.6 seconds. Tesla announces Model S performance version

OT: Apparently the 60 kWh has now been clocked in as fast as 5.1! Tesla Model S 60kWh, Getting More Than You Pay For, Apparently - The Green Optimistic

They better be careful or that is going to eat into their 85 kWh sales.

I agree 100%. Even at 5.9 seconds, that isn't very "supercar." More like a sheep in wolf's clothing. And having that engine sound in order to do that acceleration was an omigoodness realization. I understand that has been improved, though I'm not sure how much. Dennis? SoCalGuy?

That said, in 2008 and 2009 there was no mention of the Model S Perf and 4.X sec 0-60 acceleration. That wasn't announced until late September of 2011. Until that time the Model S was touted as being able to do 0-60 in 5.6 seconds. Tesla announces Model S performance version

OT: Apparently the 60 kWh has now been clocked in as fast as 5.1! Tesla Model S 60kWh, Getting More Than You Pay For, Apparently - The Green Optimistic

They better be careful or that is going to eat into their 85 kWh sales.
I agree on the acceleration point - As I've said before, the 0-35/40mph difference between MSP and Karma is imperceptible and its only above 40mph that you can feel the MSP pull harder than the Karma. On the exhaust noise, it is much much better than the roadshow cars. If you are in charge deplete Sport mode (i.e. more than 26 miles of range left on battery), the ICE sounds quite nice even under hard acceleration since it borrows energy from the battery and doesn't push out all 170hp to the TMs. If you are under 26 miles and in charge sustain Sport mode, the ICE is at the full 170hp (though still less than its 260hp rating) and is noticeably louder but not as bad as it was during the roadshow.

Back to the point - I think the Karma should have had faster 0-60 time and HOV access. That would have made up for the modest gas-only MPG and the initial quality issues like panel fit/gaps, buggy software, and the endless price increases. We know that even in Sport mode, the TMs aren't pumping out the full 403 hp - Fisker limited that power output due to NVH concerns and other reasons - I suspect, though have not had it confirmed, that we are getting more like 270-330hp (a YouTube dyno clocked in at 260hp I think). The earlier engineering cars with same TMs were doing 0-60 in under 4s, so something was changed in the software prior to pre-pro/production cars.

I agree on the acceleration point - As I've said before, the 0-35/40mph difference between MSP and Karma is imperceptible and its only above 40mph that you can feel the MSP pull harder than the Karma.

Really? I once tried a little 0-35 race against a Karma in my (non-Sport) Roadster, which has very similar acceleration to the Model S. I left the thing in my dust. Also I've driven a Karma and it sure didn't feel fast at any speed.

The critical blow for me was that it is not practical. Back in 2008 I was excited by the prospect of a luxury sedan EREV as my family car.
When it became clear that the back seat was limited and there was almost zero luggage space, I crossed it off my list.

The critical blow for me was that it is not practical. Back in 2008 I was excited by the prospect of a luxury sedan EREV as my family car.
When it became clear that the back seat was limited and there was almost zero luggage space, I crossed it off my list.

I guess I am in the minority as I find the rear seats perfectly adequate and have had a couple of my taller 6/6'2 friends sit in the back for short rides to/fro dinner with no issues. Not great if you're doing a roadtrip with tall people, but for most folks, its fine - and for those of us under 5'10 or so, its quite comfortable.

- - - Updated - - -

Really? I once tried a little 0-35 race against a Karma in my (non-Sport) Roadster, which has very similar acceleration to the Model S. I left the thing in my dust. Also I've driven a Karma and it sure didn't feel fast at any speed.

Yep - having driven the MSP twice and now with about 6000 miles in total between my two Karmas, I'd say that's the case. But YMMV and FWIW, I've never driven a Roadster.

Yep - having driven the MSP twice and now with about 6000 miles in total between my two Karmas, I'd say that's the case. But YMMV and FWIW, I've never driven a Roadster.
So this is all a guess based on your butt dyno? Lol

The MSP will absolutely murder the Karma at any speed. That is something I would be willing to put money on.

so this is all a guess based on your butt dyno? Lol

the msp will absolutely murder the karma at any speed. That is something i would be willing to put money on.
race! Race! Race! Actually, your butt dyno can be fooled by the size of the vehicle and the suspension settings. I remember seeing a documentary about a Disney world ride where they accelerate you to 60 mph but the car is designed in such a way to make you feel like you're going 120 mph. Therefore, a race is the only way to settle this. And race you must!

So this is all a guess based on your butt dyno? Lol

The MSP will absolutely murder the Karma at any speed. That is something I would be willing to put money on.

yep and frankly, that's all that matters to me. driving for me is about fun so i could care less about what someone with a stopwatch might measure - a car is not a toaster oven - and more about the feel. i liked the karma so much i bought two :p

Last edited:
yep and frankly, that's all that matters to me. driving for me is about fun so i could care less about what someone with a stopwatch might measure - a car is not a toaster oven - and more about the feel. i liked the karma so much i bought two :p
That's perfectly fine, but then why say the Karma is just as fast as a MSP 0-40mph, when it clearly isn't?

That's like saying the MSP is just as fast as a Veyron, when it's not.

I guess I am in the minority as I find the rear seats perfectly adequate and have had a couple of my taller 6/6'2 friends sit in the back for short rides to/fro dinner with no issues. Not great if you're doing a roadtrip with tall people, but for most folks, its fine - and for those of us under 5'10 or so, its quite comfortable.

The problem is that there are only 2 seats and that there is a big lump in the middle which isn't good for a family car. It also crossed the Volt off my list.

That's perfectly fine, but then why say the Karma is just as fast as a MSP 0-40mph, when it clearly isn't?

That's like saying the MSP is just as fast as a Veyron, when it's not.

Oh boy here we go with fanboyism. I never said it *was faster* I said that in the 0-35/40mph sprint there was no perceivable difference - the word I used was "imperceptible" - I went on to say that you "feel" the MS difference at accel starting at 40mph+ vs the Karma. It's posts like yours that make me think twice about sharing my impressions and thoughts on TMC.

- - - Updated - - -

The problem is that there are only 2 seats and that there is a big lump in the middle which isn't good for a family car. It also crossed the Volt off my list.

Agree and if you need a five seater, the Volt/Panamera/Karma/Rapide are bad choices. As I've said before, the MS is an impressive vehicle even putting aside the drivetrain tech, for it's utility. Great storage space and plenty of seating.

Oh boy here we go with fanboyism. I never said it *was faster* I said that in the 0-35/40mph sprint there was no perceivable difference - the word I used was "imperceptible" - I went on to say that you "feel" the MS difference at accel starting at 40mph+ vs the Karma.
Imperceptible can be used to describe both a subjective feeling but is also used generally to describe an extremely small amount. I can see why people may have gotten the connotation what you mean is that the 0-40mph numbers between the cars is close to the same (that's also how I read it too).

As for the actual numbers, there's a 0.8 second difference in the 0-40 for the MSP (2.8 sec) vs the Karma in sport mode (3.6 sec).
http://media.caranddriver.com/files/2013-tesla-model-complete-specs.pdf
http://media.caranddriver.com/files...w-car-and-driver2012-fisker-karma-ecochic.pdf

I think the lower seating position of the Karma is going to affect the perception of speed.

Oh boy here we go with fanboyism. I never said it *was faster* I said that in the 0-35/40mph sprint there was no perceivable difference - the word I used was "imperceptible" - I went on to say that you "feel" the MS difference at accel starting at 40mph+ vs the Karma.

I've driven a Karma (in both modes), and IMHO there is a hugely perceptible difference in acceleration compared to the Model S. You're a fan of the Karma, bias creeps in everywhere...

Oh boy here we go with fanboyism. I never said it *was faster* I said that in the 0-35/40mph sprint there was no perceivable difference - the word I used was "imperceptible" - I went on to say that you "feel" the MS difference at accel starting at 40mph+ vs the Karma. It's posts like yours that make me think twice about sharing my impressions and thoughts on TMC.

- - - Updated - - -

Agree and if you need a five seater, the Volt/Panamera/Karma/Rapide are bad choices. As I've said before, the MS is an impressive vehicle even putting aside the drivetrain tech, for it's utility. Great storage space and plenty of seating.

I'm glad you continue to offer your insights here. As someone who bought two Karmas you are obviously a big fan of the car just as people here are likely fans of the Model S and Roadster. That doesn't mean people on both sides don't try to be as objective as possible. Obviously there is some inherent bias anytime someone is asked to defend one or more $100k purchases so that doesn't automatically make someone a fanboy. If someone ignores basic facts then yes. Something like 'feel' is purely subjective so if 0-60 in 6.3 seconds feels as fast to you up to 40mph as a 4.2 second car then we can't really argue with what you perceive. Others might disagree but that is their opinion as well.