Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker Karma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm amazed Tesla got so much criticism for receiving the loans, but Fisker isn't?

Actually it did - in particular critics tried to say Fisker got money because of its link with Al Gore. When I search for Fisker & Al Gore, I get 19K hits, led by WSJ. Gore is a partner at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers which invests in Fisker.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125383160812639013.html

Infact there are articles complaining about linking Gore to Fisker while not mentioning Powell, also a partner at KP.

http://earth2tech.com/2009/02/05/why-colin-powell-likes-the-fisker-karma-kleiner/

It's well deserved. Heck ALL of Tesla's models are going to be built here in the USA (or assembled in the case of the roadster gliders), yet Fisker plans to operate overseas at first and still gets loans? meh

It's well deserved. Heck ALL of Tesla's models are going to be built here in the USA (or assembled in the case of the roadster gliders), yet Fisker plans to operate overseas at first and still gets loans? meh

No different from Nissan getting the loan for the Smyrna plant.

Based on the amounts in question, it is pretty clear that Fisker will be using this newest round of funding to convert the old General Motors plant it acquired in Delaware so that it can roll out its new line of more affordable hybrids (an effort it is calling Project Nina).

Some quality photos are starting to appear as the Karma moves around the country.

A member on the waiting list posted these great shots on our forum and I thought I'd share. Certainly the most detailed interior photos out there.

http://fiskerbuzz.com/forums/Thread-Karma-In-The-Flesh

857449145_75Ghb-XL.jpg

Touch screen concept in common with the Tesla Model S prototype:

857398965_jbJTd-XL.jpg

857438391_ogoa2-XL.jpg

I can't wait until the cars are finally opened up for driving scrutiny.

For California they list:

6/27 Marin, CA – Price Family Dealerships
6/28 Sacramento, CA – Price Family Dealerships
6/29 Silicon Valley, CA – Price Family Dealerships
6/30 Santa Monica, CA – Sullivan Luxury Cars
7/3 Irvine, CA, Orange – Shelly Automotive Group
7/5 San Diego, CA – Marvin K. Brown Auto Group

I wasn't aware of this city of Silicon Valley, CA. I assume they mean San Jose.

didn't know they copied the touchscreen thing too. I dunno, something about this car (and company) just doesn't mesh for me... I'll wait for the Model S or Audi's electric offering

The design of the car is beautiful, inside and out, but I'll be stunned if any appear on the road by the end of this year, which is what all the news reports are saying. If they get delayed, it could cause problems for them. I just don't see how they can get everything up and running as quickly as that. I agree -- something's fishy with this whole company.

The exterior has definitely grown on me, though it would be great if you could replace that ugly orange logo up front with a more monochromed version like on the steering wheel.

I'm sure it's possible - doesn't seem like a difficult modification. A simple high-quality vinyl sticker would do the trick even (as used on modified BMW roundels).

The design of the car is beautiful, inside and out, but I'll be stunned if any appear on the road by the end of this year, which is what all the news reports are saying. If they get delayed, it could cause problems for them. I just don't see how they can get everything up and running as quickly as that. I agree -- something's fishy with this whole company.

Fisker's relative speed to production is possible thanks to Valmet Automotive. Valmet has extensive experience with contract manufacturing - nothing fishy about the arrangement at all. You also have to remember that Henrik Fisker himself has quite the automotive development background - he knows what it takes to launch a vehicle.

I'm sure it's possible - doesn't seem like a difficult modification. A simple high-quality vinyl sticker would do the trick even (as used on modified BMW roundels).

Of course, and end user can mod their car in any way they choose, but it's just strange to me that a company that supposedly puts a big emphasis on design would do that. Colored logos rarely look good on cars, and when they do it's usually neutral tones (like the blue and white on BMW and VW logos), but orange?

Fisker's relative speed to production is possible thanks to Valmet Automotive. Valmet has extensive experience with contract manufacturing - nothing fishy about the arrangement at all. You also have to remember that Henrik Fisker himself has quite the automotive development background - he knows what it takes to launch a vehicle.

And yet, a car slated to be delivered this year has yet to be driven by anyone or even preliminarily reviewed. The Volt has... You may be right in the end, but it doesn't change the fact that it seems very fishy.

I thought Henrik Fisker had experience with automotive design, not necessarily production, and by production, I mean everything that's required to get a car from prototype to in the hands of actual consumers. Fisker's outsourcing of basically everything except the design aspects seems like a very large risk to me. I don't know how carefully they're monitoring what Valmet is doing, but a thousand (or more) different things have to come together in just the right way at just the right time for a car to be built and launched successfully, and even automakers who outsource large parts of that process are intimately involved in every step of that process.

I just don't get the same sense of rigor or diligence with Fisker -- they seem very laize faire in their approach to the production aspects and seem totally consumed by the design aspects. Hey, if everything works and the Karma hits dealerships by the end of the year, I'll become a believer, and maybe even buy one, but I'm not holding my breath (or making a deposit).

I just don't get the same sense of rigor or diligence with Fisker -- they seem very laize faire in their approach to the production aspects and seem totally consumed by the design aspects.

Being basically a car designer - Fisker probably doesn't even want to get too involved in production & "dirty" his hands. I've to wonder how their Nina project will ever work ... may be he will hire a COO and stay out of production related withngs.

The real question mark is the serial hybrid drivetrain from (the hyperbolically named) Quantum Technologies. Supposedly they're using UQM motors, an engine from GM, and A123 batteries. What is Quantum's contribution again?

With all the tweaking GM has been public about regarding NVH and driver expectations regarding how the accelerator affects engine RPM, etc. Fisker/Quantum seem rather silent.

The real question mark is the serial hybrid drivetrain from (the hyperbolically named) Quantum Technologies. Supposedly they're using UQM motors, an engine from GM, and A123 batteries. What is Quantum's contribution again?

From the PopScience article on Fisker - IIRC - Quantum made a prototype hydrogen/BEV serial hybrid vehicle for the military. They sold that idea to fisker - and in essence own the design of the hybrid drivetrain.

With all the tweaking GM has been public about regarding NVH and driver expectations regarding how the accelerator affects engine RPM, etc. Fisker/Quantum seem rather silent.

Well, for GM the whole Volt thing is a PR exercise. It may have even made it easier for the government to save GM.