Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker opening Michigan engineering center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Couple of thoughts:

"the timetable is roughly in line with the launch of the Chevrolet Volt,"
--that's dead wrong. The launch of the Volt we all know is 2010, not 2009.

Second, it's a little ballsy to open shop in Detroit when everyone else is closing shop, isn't it? The article indicated its primary purpose is to create the interior of the Karma. That's an awful lot of people for the interior, IMO...but I'm no expert. Certainly a slap in the face to Tesla, huh?

I do hope Fisker is on track and ready to roll in 2009.

Couple of thoughts:

"the timetable is roughly in line with the launch of the Chevrolet Volt,"
--that's dead wrong. The launch of the Volt we all know is 2010, not 2009.

Second, it's a little ballsy to open shop in Detroit when everyone else is closing shop, isn't it? The article indicated its primary purpose is to create the interior of the Karma. That's an awful lot of people for the interior, IMO...but I'm no expert. Certainly a slap in the face to Tesla, huh?

I do hope Fisker is on track and ready to roll in 2009.

Actually I would say it's perfectly on track with the Volt. Fisker has always said Q4 2009 but considering they don't seem to have any engineering support at the production end, I doubt they'll be that lucky... Probably by around Q4 they'll discover they've got a problem with something as mundane as, say the transmission :) The Finnish production site is currently producing Porsches but nowhere have I read that they are skilled in engineering instead of production. This is contrast to Lotus which has an extensive engineering wing as well as a production wing. Murphy will probably do a small visit and we'll be talking Q1 2010 at best, at least for production rates of more than 1 car a week. That's my opinion anyway and since I'm betting FOR entrophy I dare say I got decent odds :)

Anyone else notice they are saying $87k not $80k any longer?

Cobos

well a suspicious, conspiracy theorist type person might say that Fisker is announcing this now in order to acquire employees recently laid off by Tesla, and thus steal more secrets...

Well, if that were the case, it is surprising they are opening in Pontiac and not Rochester Hills. I hear that some real estate is opening there more convenient for the secret stealing.

Actually I would say it's perfectly on track with the Volt. Fisker has always said Q4 2009 but considering they don't seem to have any engineering support at the production end, I doubt they'll be that lucky... Probably by around Q4 they'll discover they've got a problem with something as mundane as, say the transmission :) The Finnish production site is currently producing Porsches but nowhere have I read that they are skilled in engineering instead of production. This is contrast to Lotus which has an extensive engineering wing as well as a production wing. Murphy will probably do a small visit and we'll be talking Q1 2010 at best, at least for production rates of more than 1 car a week. That's my opinion anyway and since I'm betting FOR entrophy I dare say I got decent odds :)

Anyone else notice they are saying $87k not $80k any longer?

Cobos

Now I'm confused. I am following the Volt closely and I understand I cannot even think about taking possession of one until November of 2010. A production ready Volt is supposedly going to be revealed at Detroit in '09, but that's speculation. Fisker is supposed to deliver cars in Q4 of '09, or am I wrong?

Now I'm confused. I am following the Volt closely and I understand I cannot even think about taking possession of one until November of 2010. A production ready Volt is supposedly going to be revealed at Detroit in '09, but that's speculation. Fisker is supposed to deliver cars in Q4 of '09, or am I wrong?

I think what he is saying is that simply if the Fisker gets delayed to Q1 2010, then it'll be on the same year as the Volt. Though of couse in terms of time frame it is still off by a lot.