Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fixing problem where songs persist in USB player after being removed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to document the fix I found to correct a problem where music files persist on the USB system in the Tesla audio system after I used Windows 10 to delete them from the USB drive. In my case there were duplicate entries for all the songs on an album, but this same thing could manifest as just an album that is deleted from the USB, but still shows up in the player.

The reason is that Window 10 has a hidden recycle bin on the fat32 filesystem used for the MUSIC partition, so when you remove the files using Windows, they get moved to this hidden area on the USB disk, but the Tesla still finds them.

The customer service reps are trained to tell you to reformat the drive, which will fix this, but because formatting a FAT32 device larger than 32GB is problem in Windows, that is not always as easy said as done.

Instead of reformatting, you can empty the recycle bin by going to the "properties" of the music device in the Windows file explorer, under the general tab there is a "Disk Cleanup" button. That will allow you to free up space on the device, including deleting the files in the hidden recycle bin.

Most frustrating until you learn why and how to fix. Thanks for sharing.

1698184837571.png