Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FL Registration Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

I know this is not a DMV specific forum but I thought some might had to go through the same process that I will.

I did end up selling my old car to Carmax as their offer was 10K more than the trade in value (what a nightmare process but oh well for 10K), I understand that the license plate stays with the seller which I have, also I have the bill of sale and all the forums needed to show the sale of the car. What I do not have is the actual registration paper for the old car that I have to give to the buyer during the sale.

Now my question, is with Tesla, I called them this morning and asked them if for the new car registration they do custom plate, the Agent said no but he said if you have your old plate and it is still valid (90 days within the sale) you can use it, so I gave him my license plate info and he confirmed it is showing under my name and is valid until May so he added it to the system to be used, and he said just make sure to bring it with you. I did ask what when Tesla transfer it would be be rewnoed as I am close to expiration, and if I will get the registration paper that day since it is not temporary registration anymore, he did not seem to know what I meant or it could be I did not know how to ask the question with the correct phraseology.

My question and concern if anyone did something silimar, Is Tesla gonna handle the transfer for me? meaning will I get the paper that shows the registration until May (or maybe until next year if the DMV required renewal since it is close to my expiration) like my old car? or I will have to go to the DMV asap and do that my self once I take the car? what if I got pulled over before and I need to show License and registration, how does this work so I know what expect next week before I drive off the lot.

Thanks,

Hello All,

I know this is not a DMV specific forum but I thought some might had to go through the same process that I will.

I did end up selling my old car to Carmax as their offer was 10K more than the trade in value (what a nightmare process but oh well for 10K), I understand that the license plate stays with the seller which I have, also I have the bill of sale and all the forums needed to show the sale of the car. What I do not have is the actual registration paper for the old car that I have to give to the buyer during the sale.

Now my question, is with Tesla, I called them this morning and asked them if for the new car registration they do custom plate, the Agent said no but he said if you have your old plate and it is still valid (90 days within the sale) you can use it, so I gave him my license plate info and he confirmed it is showing under my name and is valid until May so he added it to the system to be used, and he said just make sure to bring it with you. I did ask what when Tesla transfer it would be be rewnoed as I am close to expiration, and if I will get the registration paper that day since it is not temporary registration anymore, he did not seem to know what I meant or it could be I did not know how to ask the question with the correct phraseology.

My question and concern if anyone did something silimar, Is Tesla gonna handle the transfer for me? meaning will I get the paper that shows the registration until May (or maybe until next year if the DMV required renewal since it is close to my expiration) like my old car? or I will have to go to the DMV asap and do that my self once I take the car? what if I got pulled over before and I need to show License and registration, how does this work so I know what expect next week before I drive off the lot.

Thanks,
Just a thought, but you might try renewing it online.

Hello All,

Thanks,

BTW.. you have 30 days to Transfer that plate to another car with insurance or turn that plate in to the DMV or they will suspend your license. You only get the notice after its in process so make sure you take care of that.

Generally you get insurance on the car first. You should get a Temp plate from Tesla thats good for a month and then you register your car before it expires, this is when you transfer your plate or get a new plate.

Reactions: Ciaopec
BTW. you have 30 days to Transfer that plate to another car with insurance or turn that plate in to the DMV or they will suspend your license. You only get the notice after its in process so make sure you take care of that.

Generally, you get insurance on the car first. You should get a Temp plate from Tesla that's good for a month and then you register your car before it expires, this is when you transfer your plate or get a new plate.
True. In my case I walked in with a plate and drove out with that plate on the car. Tesla processed the paperwork, and a corrected paperwork copy came in the mail from FL DMV. In my case I had renewed the plate prior to selling the "old" car, so slightly different from the original question above. Proof of insurance was obtained prior to getting the "new" car (VIN # required).

When I leased my first Tesla in 2016, I was able to transfer my old plate to the Tesla when I took delivery. When we bought two Teslas in 2018, Tesla wouldn’t transfer the plate immediately — I had to get temp plates and wait for the DMV to process the transfer. For one of the cars I had to get the temp tag extended because it expired before the transfer happened, most likely Tesla’s fault. I‘m in Palm Beach County.

BTW.. you have 30 days to Transfer that plate to another car with insurance or turn that plate in to the DMV or they will suspend your license. You only get the notice after its in process so make sure you take care of that.

Generally you get insurance on the car first. You should get a Temp plate from Tesla thats good for a month and then you register your car before it expires, this is when you transfer your plate or get a new plate.
Good to know, i thought it is 45 days. Anyways timing is good because i sold the car few days ago and the Tesla should be in next week.

From what i read here which is why i am confused, you actually use your current plate not a temp one.

True. In my case I walked in with a plate and drove out with that plate on the car. Tesla processed the paperwork, and a corrected paperwork copy came in the mail from FL DMV. In my case I had renewed the plate prior to selling the "old" car, so slightly different from the original question above. Proof of insurance was obtained prior to getting the "new" car (VIN # required).
I see much appreciated, did they give a registration paper duirng delivery? I am asking because if i got pulled over what registration i can give the cop while i am waiting for the DMV to mail me the final one?

Yeah, i have a quote ready with my insurance to activate the day before to add the car to the policy.

I picked up the Plaid in Tampa. They did the plate transfer with DMV and gave me the paper registration. If you are too close to expiration they can also renew for 1 or 2 years.
Congrats man, how is the car? I cannot wait for next week :)

Did they ask you on the day of delivery if you just want to transfer or and renew? I am planning to just transfer it so i can change the platr style next month when I renew it.

Ash83, The transfer was completed before I arrived at pick up. I completed the registration on line when filling out the purchase docs.
The car is great and I'm sure you will be very happy with it.
Just do a complete walk around, note any flaws you see and be sure to check if the rear trunk well cover is present. My car was shipped without one and at the time I didn't know that one should be provided. Seems like some standard accessories were missing on some of the cars. Tesla, however, made good on the cover but it took a month to arrive.

Reactions: Ash83
Ash83, Did you get the Plaid? What do you think?
Holy crap!!!

Paint is amazing ( I stopped looking for issues after 45 min), the liner under the frunk from 1 side is obviously not installed correctly because it is sticking out so they will fix it next week, other than that I would say perfect from when I found in 1 hour looking around.

I will post pictures over the weekend.

For the registration they processed my old plate on the spot and renewed it from 1 more year.

Reactions: TimT