Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat towing the Model X (four wheels on the ground behind an RV)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't say that I think a 5000 pound largish SUV would be my first choice to tow.

Having said that, I'm not really seeing much danger on the mechanical or electrical side.

Everything I've seen suggests that the gearboxes are splash lubricated - meaning that whether the car is running or not they get the same lubrication.

Unlike most of the other modern EVs, Tesla uses induction motors - which means that spinning the motor with the computers off won't do anything, because there aren't any permanent magnets, and the car won't be providing any current to generate a field.

Of course, it's still over five thousand pounds, and it won't have any brakes coming on when you hit the brakes, either. Conventional trailers are legally required to have brakes above 3,500 pounds I believe.

I'm also not sure how you'd tie the tow bar to the car's frame. Obviously something that has been dealt with for a lot of cars, but not that easy in the era of crumple zones and airbags and strong aerodynamic fairings.

I think there's probably a good opportunity here for Tesla - with a force sensing tow bar, they could make the 3 and/or Y really easy to tow.

I'm thinking it'd have a "toad" mode in which it uses the motors and steering to minimize the impact to the towing vehicle - help it accelerate, help it slow down, help it turn, all based on force detection in the tow bar - with just enough regen to keep the battery level the same are the end of the trip (a tiny fraction more rolling load resistance in exchange for not affecting acceleration or braking performance.)

With full autonomy supposedly around the corner on those cars, some folks have also suggested what they called baby elephant mode - no physical connection, but you tell the car to follow the RV very closely and do whatever it does. Of course, that uses the car's battery power during the drive, though drafting that close will reduce the aerodynamic drag considerably.

We've been looking to do the same, and a flatbed tilting trailer seems to be the easiest, but that's a lot of space at a campsite. The smaller trailers/dollies aren't designed for the weight. For the moment, we're still toading the Wrangler. Don't even notice it behind our 40' DP Excursion . I'm sure I'd completely forget about it with a tag axle like yours :)

I hope to see summon work on a future vehicle so I can watch it pass me on the interstate.

Thanks everyone for the insights on towing a Tesla. Been a RVer with a MH (40' diesel pusher) for many years flat towing a Saturn L300. Pulling is not the concern. But stopping ability deteriorates (even with added brakes) with any extra weight. Love to have an upcoming Model 3 as our one car. But looks like a trailer will be the only dingy option. Many MH RVers I've talked to that pull trailers say they prefer lightweight all aluminum covered trailers. They cost more but can be used for other things and they keep the car out of the weather. A trailer does restrict using the parks with shorter spaces and pull throughs. Love the open road but we travel less miles and stay put at one spot longer than we used to so maybe the trailer is a good option for us.

We have been RV'n for 10 years. I have a 2007 Monaco Dynasty tag axle 45' pusher and we have tried various combinations of flat towing a Jeep, open trailering a Honda Pilot and even bought an enclosed stacker trailer at one point to have the Honda on the bottom and the quads on the top. After all that we now have come to the conclusion that no toad is the best toad. We drive the RV clean and just rent from Enterprise when we stop for extended periods. Its a little more costly but the freedom is worth it!

I too would like to flat tow a Tesla behind our Tiffin Motorhome. My 5,000 pound Buick Enclave would be replaced by a model S were it flat towable. With my motorhome's 10k watt generator I'd have a portable charging station. When I run the generator we frequently use little of its capacity that could be used to charge our Tesla.

I hope some day the brilliant minds at Tesla will tackle this for the motorhome community.

Jim

I too would like to flat tow a Tesla behind our Tiffin Motorhome. My 5,000 pound Buick Enclave would be replaced by a model S were it flat towable. With my motorhome's 10k watt generator I'd have a portable charging station. When I run the generator we frequently use little of its capacity that could be used to charge our Tesla.

I hope some day the brilliant minds at Tesla will tackle this for the motorhome community.

Jim
Here's some info on generator charging to probably come to the same conclusion as me: not worth it.

We have an 8.5kw diesel genset on our class A. At constant load, that's 6.8 kw. No problem though as the biggest adapter tesla makes for ~110v is a nema 5-20 (16A constant load). I wired one up that I can direct connect to protected side lugs (no way I'd trust a RV 5-15 outlet for constant max load). The X charges at about 4 miles an hour with that setup, but the genset runs at high output at just over 1 gallon an hour. I won't do the dollars per mile math there because it is sad. Plugging the X into the 14-50 at the campground at 30 miles an hour or whatever is much much easier and cheaper overall.

I guess since your genset is larger it may output ~220v which would have different results.

Here's some info on generator charging to probably come to the same conclusion as me: not worth it.

We have an 8.5kw diesel genset on our class A. At constant load, that's 6.8 kw. No problem though as the biggest adapter tesla makes for ~110v is a nema 5-20 (16A constant load). I wired one up that I can direct connect to protected side lugs (no way I'd trust a RV 5-15 outlet for constant max load). The X charges at about 4 miles an hour with that setup, but the genset runs at high output at just over 1 gallon an hour. I won't do the dollars per mile math there because it is sad. Plugging the X into the 14-50 at the campground at 30 miles an hour or whatever is much much easier and cheaper overall.

I guess since your genset is larger it may output ~220v which would have different results.

I've read that you can actually charge at 24A on 120V if you use a TT-30 adapter and one of the 240V UMC plugs.

I don't think this changes your overall conclusion, however.

I've read that you can actually charge at 24A on 120V if you use a TT-30 adapter and one of the 240V UMC plugs.

I don't think this changes your overall conclusion, however.
Yeah I could see that working. I'm not sure where I could find an adapter I would trust. Had problems with too many of them over the years. Plus like you alluded to, I already gave up on the idea :)