Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FleetCarma Is there a downside?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got an invite from my power company (SRP) to join there data collection group. Charging data will be collected and stored. Data can be viewed on an APP. They use an OBD device, thru a Tesla adaptor.
Via the C2 hardware device, FleetCarma will collect information about:
  • Charging session duration, energy consumption and location.
  • GPS charging location coordinates will be used to determine how much charging is occurring within the SRP service territory. We only collect GPS information when you are charging, not when you are driving.
  • Trip duration, energy consumption and distance traveled.
The reward is $110 incentive for 12 months of participation.
Is anyone using a similar service? Is there a downside?

Reactions: APotatoGod
A few off the top:

-Parasitic/vampire drain from having C2 plugged in at all times (read the fine print re unplugging count and duration to remain in the program)

-Extent of info you agree to have collected (goes far beyond charging stats as hinted at above, dont believe the marketing bs and legalese cta wording)

-potential for CAN bus gremlin introduction from C2 device (effects can range from benign to outright dangerous)

I opted out before ever plugging in.

I'm 8 months into the program. Just got my second 50$ participation reward. For me it's not really been a big deal - it's really a set it and forget it situation. The one downside is installing the thing - it does take a bit of fooling with wiring that's not in the most accessible location, but if you're up for that, it's no big deal.

I'm 8 months into the program. Just got my second 50$ participation reward. For me it's not really been a big deal - it's really a set it and forget it situation. The one downside is installing the thing - it does take a bit of fooling with wiring that's not in the most accessible location, but if you're up for that, it's no big deal.

Thanks for the response. Have there been any negatives with the car? I'd like to try it for the free data.

I enrolled in the program in Jan or Feb 2019. I get an average cashback reward of $50/month (in the form of a gift card credit). I drive on average about 1200 miles/mth. My "very casual" observation of the "extra electric energy costs" of charging my model 3 AWD car is aprox $60/month. So... my net monthly vehicle energy charging cost is about $10/month to drive about 1,200 miles. I am very happy with the program.

Thanks for the response. Have there been any negatives with the car? I'd like to try it for the free data.
The only issue I've had with my car is my 12v battery died, back in July I think. I don't know if it was related to this device or not, but it does draw a bit of power at all times, which may have contributed to the problem. Tesla replaced the battery for free, but I removed the device while they did this, just in case it came up. I also have a dashcam that draws a bit all the time, so it's possible the combination did the trick. Or maybe it was just a bad battery.

The only issue I've had with my car is my 12v battery died, back in July I think. I don't know if it was related to this device or not, but it does draw a bit of power at all times, which may have contributed to the problem. Tesla replaced the battery for free, but I removed the device while they did this, just in case it came up. I also have a dashcam that draws a bit all the time, so it's possible the combination did the trick. Or maybe it was just a bad battery.

How old was the battery?

Just curious if any of the USBs not use 12V power all the time. Maybe plug dashcam on those (unless you want to record while car's off?)

Reactions: APotatoGod
I've had fleetcarma for a few months now and prior to that it was on my plug-in hybrid. No issues and no problems and the amount of data you get is great. It is a bit tricky to install but the directions and video are clear and easy to follow.

I live in Westchester,New York and am interested to enroll smartcharge program, However, regarding the bonus for "not charging 2-6pm in the summer peak hour", does it apply if I charge in supercharge station or at home only?
If it does apply to supercharge station, I assume I can still ear bonux if I use supercharge station that is outside Westerchestsr/NYC area?

Typo, I mean 'earn bonus'

I live in Westchester,New York and am interested to enroll smartcharge program, However, regarding the bonus for "not charging 2-6pm in the summer peak hour", does it apply if I charge in supercharge station or at home only?
If it does apply to supercharge station, I assume I can still ear bonux if I use supercharge station that is outside Westerchestsr/NYC area?

Hi, was anyone able to measure the additional drain added by the fact that the C2 hardware device is constantly powered up?
I don't have the capacity to charge every night so vampire drain is something that I worry about.

I use superstation and i still got the summer bonus if that was any help.

Hi, was anyone able to measure the additional drain added by the fact that the C2 hardware device is constantly powered up?
I don't have the capacity to charge every night so vampire drain is something that I worry about.

My car with the C2 device does drain more than my friend's vehicle and we have exact same setup with everything except for the device.

Got an invite from my power company (SRP) to join there data collection group. Charging data will be collected and stored. Data can be viewed on an APP. They use an OBD device, thru a Tesla adaptor.
Via the C2 hardware device, FleetCarma will collect information about:
  • Charging session duration, energy consumption and location.
  • GPS charging location coordinates will be used to determine how much charging is occurring within the SRP service territory. We only collect GPS information when you are charging, not when you are driving.
  • Trip duration, energy consumption and distance traveled.
The reward is $110 incentive for 12 months of participation.
Is anyone using a similar service? Is there a downside?

SmartCharge Arizona | FleetCarma full for AZ. Look like SRP only?

I use superstation and i still got the summer bonus if that was any help.

My car with the C2 device does drain more than my friend's vehicle and we have exact same setup with everything except for the device.

Thank you for your answer, would you be able to quantify that additional drain? Is it 2 times the normal drain or more/less?
Thanks

Newbie here, with my Tesla Model 3, Fleetcarma and this board. My question is, 1 day after I installed the Fleercarma device my cars left side seemed to have a stroke (Pun intended) the headlight, turning indicator and windshield wipers stopped functioning. The car is a 2020 and is still under warranty. Should I disconnect the device before there service appointment or leave it in...And do you think the device was the cause of the malfunction?