Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Florida registration, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,
Finally got my delivery window notice (7/18 to 8/1) and the goose bumps are starting. I do have one question and I hope somebody out there has an answer. If I register the car in both our names (me and wife) do both of us have to be physically present to sign for the car on delivery and to complete the paperwork leading to the tag and title?
Thanks in advance for any and all answers. :confused:

Hello all,
Finally got my delivery window notice (7/18 to 8/1) and the goose bumps are starting. I do have one question and I hope somebody out there has an answer. If I register the car in both our names (me and wife) do both of us have to be physically present to sign for the car on delivery and to complete the paperwork leading to the tag and title?
Thanks in advance for any and all answers. :confused:
My wife and I both signed the paperwork when Ben delivered our Model S.

Larry

First, congratulations, Though the next 4-6 weeks will seem long. Second, I do believe both will need to be there to sign, but definitely talk to your DS, cause I'm no expert. Third, are you nuts! Don't let her name be on it, in fact don't let her drive or ride in it, even better hide it around the corner so she never sees it. You're risking letting her fall in love with it (unavoidable actually), after which you'll never get to drive it, then you'll have to buy another one!

Thanks to all for your input. Although not a direct answer, Larry's experience confirms my suspicions. There was also a recent post from Hawaii which told of both co-owners having to be present to be to sign. As for bobinfla's comments - Hehehehe :biggrin:. I'll have you know that my suggestions to replace the Audi A8 with another or a same level BMW or MB were met with considerable resistance the whole of last year. Then came the Tesla test drive and that was that. So what's wrong with replacing the Honda Odyssey with an X in 2015 when trans-continental travel will be a piece of cake? :cool:

That's our plan exactly. She wants some of the things that are missing in the Model S (storage spaces, cupholders, coathangers, etc.), plus more trunk space and a higher driving position. So I get to keep the S, and she has reserved an X. I think that's ideal.

First, congratulations, Though the next 4-6 weeks will seem long. Second, I do believe both will need to be there to sign, but definitely talk to your DS, cause I'm no expert. Third, are you nuts! Don't let her name be on it, in fact don't let her drive or ride in it, even better hide it around the corner so she never sees it. You're risking letting her fall in love with it (unavoidable actually), after which you'll never get to drive it, then you'll have to buy another one!

There's actually a better reason to have only one name on the title of any car, not just your model S - liability and asset protection. If you and your wife have separately titled assets, having both names on a car title would put all of your assets at risk in the event of an accident/injury that exceeded your insurance limits. With only one name on the title - only your assets are at risk, and the plaintiff's attorney might not even be able to get to some jointly owned assets. Same rationale -even more so - applies for getting off the title of a car your kid drives as soon as they turn 18. I'm not a lawyer & this isn't legal advice. But you might want to consult someone who is.

There's actually a better reason to have only one name on the title of any car, not just your model S - liability and asset protection. If you and your wife have separately titled assets, having both names on a car title would put all of your assets at risk in the event of an accident/injury that exceeded your insurance limits. With only one name on the title - only your assets are at risk, and the plaintiff's attorney might not even be able to get to some jointly owned assets. Same rationale -even more so - applies for getting off the title of a car your kid drives as soon as they turn 18. I'm not a lawyer & this isn't legal advice. But you might want to consult someone who is.

Point well taken. Thanks a lot. Will research this further.