Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FM Radio stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't listen to FM radio all that much but I do play music from my USB key and have issues with the car remembering what was playing before for the last year or two. I am also currently on 2024.3.25.

So, your radio works until you turn off the car (for some undefined amount of time) and then when you re-enter your car, the radio is not playing and cannot be accessed by normal methods. By that I mean if you either press the 3 dot icon and select Radio or use the voice command "Media radio", the radio does not play and that you need to re-boot???

And after you re-boot, does the radio automatically start playing or do you do something that turns it on?

I don't have any immediate recommendations to this problem. I would normally say to re-boot the car to solve unusual issues but since you have to do this every time you want the FM radio to play, that's not the fix.

Reactions: chracatoa
Do you get the radio station display on the screen when it's not working? The station logo/frequency? Or is the media display just "blank"?

Almost every time I get in my car I have to say "media USB" in order to get my music to start playing again. It wasn't like this before. I'd open the door, get in and the music would automatically start where it left off. Some time ago it appears to me that one of the software updates broke this action. I can, however, start the music manually by the "normal" means without having to resort to a re-boot. I used to listen to the radio more before and I never had the issue you do (2018 LR RWD).

About the only thing I can think of, if it's even possible, is that the latest software did not download correctly. This assumes that the problem started after the 2024.3.25 install. You can wait until the next software release or try forcing a re-install via the service menu. I don't have the exact instructions/details but here's a video:

Somewhere in the service menu there should be a software (re)install button from what I understand.

So I just went out to the store, after previously selecting the FM radio last night before exiting my car. The media window appeared in the lower left of the screen still tuned to the station I had selected. The music did NOT immediately turn on and I thought that I had the same problem. But after 5-7 seconds, it started playing. The same thing happened when leaving the store; sound was delayed several seconds after the screen lit up but it did return. Not sure if this is "normal" as it's been forever since I last bothered to listen to FM.