Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Foam Gun Useless?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When washing the car, I rinse it then cover it with Chemical Guys' Snow Foam via a foam gun then wait ten minutes and finish washing the car.

I'm not convinced that it makes any difference. That is, it's no less clean if I skip the foam step.

Have others seen that?

If I used a foam cannon (that is, with a pressure washer) would it make a difference?

When washing the car, I rinse it then cover it with Chemical Guys' Snow Foam via a foam gun then wait ten minutes and finish washing the car.

I'm not convinced that it makes any difference. That is, it's no less clean if I skip the foam step.

Have others seen that?

If I used a foam cannon (that is, with a pressure washer) would it make a difference?
I wasn't impressed at all when I used a foam gun and pressure washer on my Model 3. I'm old and retired, and I've been washing my car with a bucket and garden hose for a long time, so maybe it's just what I'm used to.

It seemed to take longer to rinse the car with a pressure washer too. Just a guess but I thought the pressure washer used more water than I would. have with my garden hose. I'm on a well, so I don't like to waste water.

I don't have a place to wash inside or under cover, and on hot days I'm careful to wash in sections so the soap doesn't dry on the car. With the foam gun I felt it was only practical to do the whole car at the same time.

As far as cleaning, my Model 3 has PPF and it's always easy peasy to clean no matter how dirty it gets between washings.

Here's how I use foam -
1. Snow foam via pressure washer
2. Rinse
3. Shampoo with mitt
4. Rinse

No pre rinse before step one, that would reduce foam adhesion. The purpose of foam is to loosen the nasty muck, especially debris like grit, sand, soil etc so you aren't rubbing that into the car on step 3 and damaging the paintwork and creating swirl marks.