Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Detailing experts - what is this film and can a jetwash lift it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in the North York Moors, a fairly remote rural part of the UK, down a mile long farm track of gravel + mostly clay soil.

Keeping my Model 3 clean is a nightmare as it is, but one of the problems is there's always a film left behind by the jetwash.

The following photo is a result of the following:
Jet wash.
50:1 caustic TFR.
2 minutes.
Jet wash.
Snow foam.
5 minutes.
Jet wash.
Outside air dry (typical blustery autumn UK weather, but everything's damp so no travelling dust).
Wipe middle finger over the panel a few times.

There's barely anything on my finger but you can see whatever it is is quite an effectively bad dulling/matting film that doesn't seem to lift with TFR and snowfoam, and unless I properly cloth clean and polish the car it just looks dirty all the time!

Anyone know what the film is and if there's anything that will allow a jetwash to lift it? Or do I just need to accept it's going to be a more regular manual job?

Attachments

• IMG_20231004_181728.jpg
    IMG_20231004_181728.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 106
I am not familiar with JetWash. I am guessing it is a touchless car wash that uses pressure washers to spray traffic film remover, soap, and water on your car to clean it without actually touching the paint?

If that is the case, then I am guessing that what you are seeing is how touchless car washes simply do not clean the car as well as a car wash that makes contact with the paint. I know the point of a touchless car wash is to avoid inducing swirls and scratches. But in order to really clean a car, you usually have to make contact with a wash mitt, wash pad, or sponge. Touchless car washes simply do not clean that well.

Does your car have a ceramic coating on it? I am guessing it doesn't. If that is true and you want to be able to clean your car as thoroughly as possible with a touchless car wash, I would suggest you apply a ceramic coating to the car. The car will come out of the touchless wash much cleaner than if there is no ceramic coating.

Hope that helps,
Joe

Reactions: E90alex