Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Foam in wheelwells?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The M3 has some kind of skirting up in the front wheelwells.

Has any0one every thought / tried injecting foam up through those skirts to deaden tire noise?
I'd be happy if the skirting itself wasn't a source of noise. :p

It's pretty open area though, not sure expanding foam would be in anyway contained. The skirting itself would likely deform very quickly, it's really sort of a web of firmer material with soft patches in it, too.

I used a rubberized undercoating spray on my Model 3 wheelwells to tried to reduce some of the road noise. It did noticeably reduced some of the road noise. I purchased from Amazon a set of 5 cans. I used one can per wheelwell, one can leftover. I jacked up each corner of the car, removed each wheel, wrap the surroundings to protects against overspray, sprayed the wheelwell, dried in less than 30 minutes, and reinstalled each wheel. It was very smelly so make sure to wear a paint respirator and gloves. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DZXZ2KK/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
I used a rubberized undercoating spray on my Model 3 wheelwells to tried to reduce some of the road noise. It did noticeably reduced some of the road noise. I purchased from Amazon a set of 5 cans. I used one can per wheelwell, one can leftover. I jacked up each corner of the car, removed each wheel, wrap the surroundings to protects against overspray, sprayed the wheelwell, dried in less than 30 minutes, and reinstalled each wheel. It was very smelly so make sure to wear a paint respirator and gloves. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DZXZ2KK/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wonder if it would help to take it to a regular car dealer and have them undercoat the car.

I wonder if it would help to take it to a regular car dealer and have them undercoat the car.
A dealer could easily do the undercoating for the wheelwells. I was able to do it myself and took about an hour of time for each wheel. But I'm not sure about undercoating the portion where the high voltage battery is. That battery is thick and not sure if there is much road noise transmitted through that area that covers most of the bottom of the car.

I just asked them what they would recommend to deaden the tire noise in the Model 3. We'll see what they say.
How would their product be supported?

Dynamat is a thick sound absorbing mat with adhesive on the back you apply to metal surfaces to lessen noise, vibration, etc. It would require pulling up carpet and trim pieces, but it works very well. I had a special custom tank in a truck I used for camping trips, and it meant the factory sound deadening and carpet had to be removed. It was super loud after that, so I bought a roll of Dynamat for about $50 and did this to the back wall of the truck. It reduced the road noise by probably 80%.

NmU_xm3n04l5RitDpbz4EaaEyWmRKeh6zvYpfKv9p0YrpTcfT8pidb1WCNt99XU31d4b93VvU3eg_1zOKaJOfFvsxcEmpFqncnb7kYEAvqaTQ7lDzbW6nNQx-U8h_Zc56wYDn7yjaMoqetalbaaAS2thc-3Mkplef1uF_lHYSoQSTYJ_u8FpUl16rCSjbALcjlEx6yl_EMHbfo_YbqAE_MTSd4-SkofIINUyXn5rHd96w6phoBM0_tRunAtr85A-N4pfSGC1dRo7L6XbUWrooQr7LTQwuAu6KeIFynpuRO9VdJ8N63MEpWQKusfbvk0fUePXiP0qNCXtGyR9mu1niU4T-TqT7EQ8FuQsM5kk23km09FTWY81Aq4_meU4gwmSkjH6rfGJIB9Q4ajK-X_icS23Idl8J_RShiClXSd5pUerlVMMv6gx_QfaPvcp73elGqC3-14pUpue11sRhDaaBPhvjtdZ1jIGgwQD3AUm4nTGtadAUu6WraCZVgE8yd7yjkNOLKt6g3Gjgx5EZTza8F1uOLHMJ5wo-tuOKn_QrxWvMSuzSbHTQjD7XDkhyPI1FMNRR3Xhjd1Mo7O-xTfjS7zz8eQMRuDHHbDOYPDv_-HdGTNHARv1zKs-upsQiGbML4OiOEHsSn6uInWaSAtn6fBRr11VSdtnH4baCMt4yKiRp8xUlGGHwGKItwa_LR5J6xceXOqTlPyVafyckGtHM-3HlQ=w1380-h920-no

How about Dynamat over the interior of the wheel arches?
That's what I was going to suggest. For sound deadening you need mass, which is what dynamat offers. Of course that means weight. I used a ton in an older car, works wonders. Now that I think about it I wonder if it would help noise from the trunk.

IMO the noise in a 3 mostly comes for the windows, not from under the car though.

That's what I was going to suggest. For sound deadening you need mass, which is what dynamat offers. Of course that means weight. I used a ton in an older car, works wonders. Now that I think about it I wonder if it would help noise from the trunk.

IMO the noise in a 3 mostly comes for the windows, not from under the car though.

Strange I don't get window noise. I hear tire noise. Oh well each vehicle has it's own quicks I suppose.
I wonder how hard it would be to remove and replace the current wheel well inserts.

Strange I don't get window noise. I hear tire noise. Oh well each vehicle has it's own quicks I suppose.
I wonder how hard it would be to remove and replace the current wheel well inserts.
I believe my door seals are wonky. Maybe if I get those fixed I'll hear the tires. ;)

If you want to reduce noise I'd do so from the interior of the car if you can. I have no idea what this car looks like under the seats/carpeting but maybe you can access the wheel well? Removing the inserts can't be too difficult if you go that route.