Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second Guessing Tire Purchase - Opinions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I replaced the tires on my MS today. I had about 45k miles on the original Goodyear Eagle Touring tires. I read a lot of people here saying that the acoustic foam lined versions didn't really make much difference in noise, so I decided to save about $110/per tire and try out the non foam lined version of the same Goodyear Eagle tire. So I bought the same model of tire but without the T0, T1, or T2 specification, all other specs the same.

But the more I read online, it seems that the Tx spec also has differences to rolling resistance and sidewall thickness. Did I just screw myself with a tire that will decrease range and possibly affect sidewall safety to save $500? Am I overthinking this?
Rolling resistance is sometimes gained by the manufacturer by reducing the depth of the tread/increasing stiffness, which in turn also reduces life of the tire. Don't get too caught up in the almost irrelevant technicalities.

Complete opposite experience in my Model S going from the stock Michelins to the Sailuns. Strange!
I think you'll also have to consider a worn out set of tires will likely have less roll resistance than a brand new tire. That new tire will produce less noise, have maximum grip, and will consume more energy now that at any point in the future; therefore, it would be good to reassess the energy usage and qualitative characteristics as the tire wears to at least 50%. It's just not a fair comparison to line up an old worn tire to a new one.

Here's the update.

After breaking the new Sailun tires in with 2000 miles on them, I measured the electric usage over a 52 mile freeway run that I made going and coming to average out the effect from any wind. The car had 265/45 tires on the front, and 275/45 tires on the back as recommended by Tesla for a 2022 MX. The total course was 104 miles, half going each way on the freeway at 65 miles/hour in self-drive. The usage dropped from 285 Wh/mi with the stock Continentals to 277 Wh/mi with the Sailun ERange tires after they were fully broken in. So the Sailun tires gave more range, but only 2.8%. It is indeed measurable, but I wouldn't call it a very meaningful difference.

Not being satisfied with only 2.8% improvement, I put the 265/45 Sailun front tires on the rear of the MX, bought 2 used rims for the MX and installed my half used 265/45 Continentals back on the front of the MX. So, this made the MX with a square tire pattern, 265/45 on all four tires. I just got home after running the same exact freeway course that I used in paragraph one, above. The electric usage dropped to from 277Wh/mi to 269 Wh/mi, for another 2.8% improvement in range. Neither of these changes produced a meaningful improvement by itself, and the 5.6% combined improvement seems barely meaningful.

I'll leave the car with this configuration until I need to tow my boat again, and then put the bigger tires back on the car.

Here's the update.

After breaking the new Sailun tires in with 2000 miles on them, I measured the electric usage over a 52 mile freeway run that I made going and coming to average out the effect from any wind. The car had 265/45 tires on the front, and 275/45 tires on the back as recommended by Tesla for a 2022 MX. The total course was 104 miles, half going each way on the freeway at 65 miles/hour in self-drive. The usage dropped from 285 Wh/mi with the stock Continentals to 277 Wh/mi with the Sailun ERange tires after they were fully broken in. So the Sailun tires gave more range, but only 2.8%. It is indeed measurable, but I wouldn't call it a very meaningful difference.

Not being satisfied with only 2.8% improvement, I put the 265/45 Sailun front tires on the rear of the MX, bought 2 used rims for the MX and installed my half used 265/45 Continentals back on the front of the MX. So, this made the MX with a square tire pattern, 265/45 on all four tires. I just got home after running the same exact freeway course that I used in paragraph one, above. The electric usage dropped to from 277Wh/mi to 269 Wh/mi, for another 2.8% improvement in range. Neither of these changes produced a meaningful improvement by itself, and the 5.6% combined improvement seems barely meaningful.

I'll leave the car with this configuration until I need to tow my boat again, and then put the bigger tires back on the car.
Thanks for the update. Unfortunately, given all the potential variables that affect range, thats within the margin of error.