Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second Guessing Tire Purchase - Opinions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I replaced the tires on my MS today. I had about 45k miles on the original Goodyear Eagle Touring tires. I read a lot of people here saying that the acoustic foam lined versions didn't really make much difference in noise, so I decided to save about $110/per tire and try out the non foam lined version of the same Goodyear Eagle tire. So I bought the same model of tire but without the T0, T1, or T2 specification, all other specs the same.

But the more I read online, it seems that the Tx spec also has differences to rolling resistance and sidewall thickness. Did I just screw myself with a tire that will decrease range and possibly affect sidewall safety to save $500? Am I overthinking this?

Not really. I used to stick with the stock tires. Finally gave up and got the cheapest no name brands that met specs. Thus far, I have seen absolutely ZERO difference in range. I think I'm running Joyroad tires right now. Actually lasting about as long as the stock Goodyear Eagle RS-A2's.
I can do a full set, including having a local independent shop mount them, for under $600, and depending on if I can score a sale, Sub-$500. it feels like 2013 again!

I do a set/year on each vehicle. On the MX, Last set was Atlas, I liked a LOT, but the prices doubled, so I have Lionhart right now. The MX actually ended up being cheaper than the MS even!

Oh, and life wise, lasting about as long as stock. I thin now that I have the adjustable camber links installed, I should actually see about 70,000 miles/set fairly easily.

Not really. I used to stick with the stock tires. Finally gave up and got the cheapest no name brands that met specs. Thus far, I have seen absolutely ZERO difference in range. I think I'm running Joyroad tires right now.
I’d never heard of Joyroad so I googled them. Let’s just say your a brave man. Reviews use words like “Scary” “God Awful” “Terrifying”.

I‘ve always purchased high-end tires. My opinion, save money on floor mats, don’t scrimp on tires.

You will love the joyroad tires even more when you find out it takes 50 foot longer to come to standstill in an emergency stop.
I'll look into that more, however, hasn't been my experience. I'm finding overall grip, traction and stopping in my experience to be slightly better than the Goodyear Eagle RS-A2's that were factory stock, an astronomically better than the Michelins Tesla used for a while. Those were like driving on a slick track (They were all seasons, though felt like summer tires in winter, couldn't get rid of them fast enough!). I do find the "rubber" to be slightly softer. Higher rolling resistance, though hasn't seemed to impact my range.
But I Digress. Could be Placebo effect.
I also had them on when this happened, and maintained traction despite the side impact on the freeway:

EDIT: Current Model S set is "Fortune" brand, Current Model X set is "Joyroad".

Last edited:
My thoughts on tires is that many folks think their newly changed tire is better than their outgoing former; it's quieter, more comfortable, better grip, etc. But their observations are often biased by the fact that the new tire is in fact new with thicker thread and is not a fair apples to apples comparison with a worn tire model that has 15% tread remaining. Another thing that gets me is when folks will say that a particular tire brand is terrible, despite failing to state the tire model and size. As for me, I've tried other brands on various cars such as Hankook, General, Pirelli, Bridgestone, Firestone, Michelin, & BF Goodrich...I just make sure I read the tire model reviews to get an idea of what to expect and avoid some potential pitfalls. Some tire models water channels are not very comfortable with the rain grooves on our local roads. Furthermore some tire models just don't hold up as well to certain car models (Ford Explorer and Firestone Wilderness). Finally, some tire manufacturers appear to have a higher rate of defect than others; I try to avoid those.

I feel like this got derailed a bit - I'm not asking about using off-brand tires. My question was more whether there would be an issue going for the non-Tesla spec of the same model major brand tire.

I'm not one to skimp on grip/quality to save $$ (hence sticking with a major brand/OEM model tire) and was curious as to whether the non-Tesla spec version was significantly different aside from the foam in a way that would make the $$ savings not worth it.

Thank you for the responses, though.

I feel like this got derailed a bit - I'm not asking about using off-brand tires. My question was more whether there would be an issue going for the non-Tesla spec of the same model major brand tire.

I'm not one to skimp on grip/quality to save $$ (hence sticking with a major brand/OEM model tire) and was curious as to whether the non-Tesla spec version was significantly different aside from the foam in a way that would make the $$ savings not worth it.

Answer to question: No issue. Potential for more road noise (depending on your ears) - but also potential for easier repairs when a flat occurs. I will never buy foam filled tires.

Aside from making sure the tire load index is proper for the vehicle you should be fine. Acoustic foam is a nice add-on but people are on the fence whether or not it's worth the extra money. For folks who want a quieter ride at highway speeds and don't want to spend the time, money, or effort sound deadening the doors and wheel wells, I would think it's work it. Just hope to never need a tire plug because there's no guarantee the foam insert won't be compromised.

I originally had tires with foam, my last 2 sets have not...whether it's worth it or not is completely subjective and I hope you can realize that before asking the question. I don't think anyone but you can answer that; however, other people can share information as well as their opinions.

Reactions: Shiro
Acoustic foam is a nice add-on but people are on the fence whether or not it's worth the extra money. For folks who want a quieter ride at highway speeds and don't want to spend the time, money, or effort sound deadening the doors and wheel wells, I would think it's work it.
This might be why I didn't notice much of a sound difference during my mixed weather/road surface drive yesterday. I've dynamatted the door skins, door cards, wheel wells, as well as added extra thinsulate in the doors. Granted it's not a fair comparison to compare noise levels of a new tire to tires that were 1/32 from the wear bars, but if the noise levels stay relatively consistent, I won't feel bad about saving the money.

It's too early to do a definitive range comparison but over the 150 or so miles I drove yesterday (highway and city) it doesn't seem noticeably different consumption-wise than the old T0 eagles. Let's see if I can get 40k miles out of them like the stocks.

Reactions: maximizese
My mid-2016 MS90D came with the Goodyear Eagle Touring which the @Shiro references. Original set from factory naturally was the Tesla spec with foam. I'd get about 35k miles a set, and when I replaced both at 35k and again at 70k, used the version without foam (but same load rating). For my purposes, I was never able to tell a noticeable difference in road noise or rolling resistance/range/Wh/mi energy use. I'd say quit worrying about it; I'd say you'll be fine based upon my experience.

My mid-2016 MS90D came with the Goodyear Eagle Touring which the @Shiro references. Original set from factory naturally was the Tesla spec with foam. I'd get about 35k miles a set, and when I replaced both at 35k and again at 70k, used the version without foam (but same load rating). For my purposes, I was never able to tell a noticeable difference in road noise or rolling resistance/range/Wh/mi energy use. I'd say quit worrying about it; I'd say you'll be fine based upon my experience.
Your Wallet was heavier though!

I'll be updating this post with my experiences in case anyone is ever in the same boat decision-wise.

I haven't had a chance to do any dry weather testing as it's been raining like crazy here in SoCal, but rainy weather traction and noise levels are great. Energy consumption isn't noticeably different than my old T0 spec tires but I'll definitely need a longer dataset to really say for sure.

I'll update again when we have some dry weather.

Reactions: islandbayy
I've tried all sorts of tires for this car and my favorite are the Sailun Erange. Best combo of noise/range/wear
I bought new Sailun EV tires for my 2022 MX last December 2023. After one week, I got them aligned. I've made two trips. My stock Continental tires used about 285 WH/mi. I usually drive about 65 mph. On a 400 mile trip with the Sailun EV tires, the electric consumption increased to 315 WH/mi. On another trip just two days ago, the consumption increased to 340 WH/Mi but I increased my speed to about 70 on average. So it appears that my electric usage has increased by 10 to 20% depending on my speed. I wish I had my old Continentals back.
woI've tried all sorts of tires for this car and my favorite are the Sailun Erange. Best combo of noise/range/wear

I've tried all sorts of tires for this car and my favorite are the Sailun Erange. Best combo of noise/range/wear

Last edited:
So I've been driving on these non-tesla spec Goodyear Eagle Tourings for almost two months now and they've been good tires. wet/dry Grip, noise level, comfort - everything feel the same as the more expensive Tesla spec tire. The consumption as observed by my trip computer logged both pre and post tire change shows little difference. If anything, the consumption is lower with the new tires.

So basically, don't waste your money on the Tesla spec tires because the no-foam version will feel and perform pretty much the same, and you'll save about 500 bucks a set.

Reactions: Sam1
I bought new Sailun EV tires for my 2022 MX last December 2023. After one week, I got them aligned. I've made two trips. My stock Continental tires used about 285 WH/mi. I usually drive about 65 mph. On a 400 mile trip with the Sailun EV tires, the electric consumption increased to 315 WH/mi. On another trip just two days ago, the consumption increased to 340 WH/Mi but I increased my speed to about 70 on average. So it appears that my electric usage has increased by 10 to 20% depending on my speed. I wish I had my old Continentals back.

Complete opposite experience in my Model S going from the stock Michelins to the Sailuns. Strange!