Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Folks without PPF: where did you get paint chips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most of our chips are in the front bumper. Surprise, surprise. I never even heard of things like PPF before owning this car, but I wish I had, in retrospect. Our car is white, and the chips appear black, so they really stand out.

We also have a few tiny ones on the rear inner surfaces of the wheel wells. But I just installed flaps last weekend, which both hide those bits of damage, and should prevent more.

Things to know about Tesla cars compared to regular cars that I found out the hard way:

- The paint, since they are built in CA, is crappy water based paint. Please note that this is NOT Tesla's fault- it is California's fault due to their very strict laws. I see a lot of people getting mad at Tesla and it's not their fault.
- Pretty much every other car out there is not water based paint because the laws in other states are not as strict as CA
- Because of that, it is more prone to chips, scratches and other damage and not just from rocks. I got damage from blowing sand as well
- I got side swiped two months after getting the car and drove around for 4 months waiting on parts. When the parts finally got in, the body shop explained about the paint in CA and the law around it. AND since the body shop is in CA, they too use water based paint to repair the vehicles so even if the car was not purchased here, if it's repaired here, then it's the water based paint.
- I had rock/sand/bug- yes bug- damage on the frunk, the front bumper, the front lights, the windshield and part of the front fenders. I was astounded by the extent of the damage when I don't remember ANY rocks flying at me at any time at all. AND I have lived on a dirt/gravel road (with a different car) and never had this kind of damage. My car isn't even a year old.
- Because of this, I got PPF on the whole front of the car, the fenders and the two front doors since people tend to ding doors. Since I invested so much in this car I figured it was worth it in the long run due to the crappy paint.
- On the original Roadster (and I think the original S), PPF was applied to parts of the car to protect it. At least that is what my X said who has the original Roadster and S. So my feeling was to get it.

And on a side note, it saved the front of his car in a very minor fender bender- he just removed the PPF after the collision. Of course the Roadster is made of a different material so don't count on that with your 3.

Bottom line, invest in PPF. It's worth it.

Well said RachH. Listen to the advice.

Thank you very much! I hope my experience helps someone else if they are willing to listen- even if it is coming from a woman who is not a car/tech expert. I think I'm a rarity here on this forum.

But then again I am not a 'normal' woman.....I was raised on a horse ranch in Texas, my Mom used to race cars when she was in her 20's and her cousin is Richard Petty so there is that....:)

Reactions: XLR82XS
Oh yes....I forgot to add one more very important thing to consider.....

If you have paint chips/dings, if they aren't actually sanding everything down and repainting it- they are just going to do a small 'patch' or something- then I don't recommend doing it under the PPF. I saw a car that had that done and you could really tell. It had kind of a weird bumpy look and it showed up much more.

The body shop just did a paint correction ON TOP of the PPF for one of my bigger dings on my frunk and it was not noticeable at all. That being said, not sure how long it is going to last. Good thing I got the touch up kit from Tesla.

Ive been in the car game 20+ years and seen a lot of stuff. Truly blessed to have such a high quality installer here in SWFL. Holy crap is the work amazing! The film is STEK and it is invisible with ever edge wrapped to perfection. Even under the little plastic where the windshield and fender meet.

He did a separate piece on the lowest center section of the front bumper. In case of damage in that area he can replace that section and not the entire bumper. Very satisfied. :cool:
View media item 120221

Reactions: RachH
I got a nice one about the size of a dime on the rocker panel near the rear wheel. I touched it up with a Tesla touch up kit, but it's definitely not perfect. Luckily it's in a spot that no one will ever notice. The paint issues with this car are definitely real.

I got a nice one about the size of a dime on the rocker panel near the rear wheel. I touched it up with a Tesla touch up kit, but it's definitely not perfect. Luckily it's in a spot that no one will ever notice. The paint issues with this car are definitely real.

I agree!!! The paint, and all of the dings I was getting, really upset me and I didn't want to freak out all of the time wondering if my car was getting damaged by something. And I am not the best painter so didn't want to be constantly trying to patch the damage. That is why I paid the money and got the PPF. It's worth it. Just make sure to find a good installer.

Reactions: XLR82XS
Things to know about Tesla cars compared to regular cars that I found out the hard way:

- The paint, since they are built in CA, is crappy water based paint. Please note that this is NOT Tesla's fault- it is California's fault due to their very strict laws. I see a lot of people getting mad at Tesla and it's not their fault.
- Pretty much every other car out there is not water based paint because the laws in other states are not as strict as CA
- Because of that, it is more prone to chips, scratches and other damage and not just from rocks. I got damage from blowing sand as well
- I got side swiped two months after getting the car and drove around for 4 months waiting on parts. When the parts finally got in, the body shop explained about the paint in CA and the law around it. AND since the body shop is in CA, they too use water based paint to repair the vehicles so even if the car was not purchased here, if it's repaired here, then it's the water based paint.
- I had rock/sand/bug- yes bug- damage on the frunk, the front bumper, the front lights, the windshield and part of the front fenders. I was astounded by the extent of the damage when I don't remember ANY rocks flying at me at any time at all. AND I have lived on a dirt/gravel road (with a different car) and never had this kind of damage. My car isn't even a year old.
- Because of this, I got PPF on the whole front of the car, the fenders and the two front doors since people tend to ding doors. Since I invested so much in this car I figured it was worth it in the long run due to the crappy paint.
- On the original Roadster (and I think the original S), PPF was applied to parts of the car to protect it. At least that is what my X said who has the original Roadster and S. So my feeling was to get it.

And on a side note, it saved the front of his car in a very minor fender bender- he just removed the PPF after the collision. Of course the Roadster is made of a different material so don't count on that with your 3.

Bottom line, invest in PPF. It's worth it.

If the car can't withstand normal driving then Tesla should not sell it in EU. It is not customer obligation to protect the cars.
I will not spend any dime in extra what i already have paid ( 96,000 $ )

Just to say the quality of tesla paint is GARBAGE.
Soft, Thin and not durable not to mention the primer shows everywhere.

• Disagree
Reactions: stevevets and nQva
Thank you very much! I hope my experience helps someone else if they are willing to listen- even if it is coming from a woman who is not a car/tech expert. I think I'm a rarity here on this forum.

But then again I am not a 'normal' woman.....I was raised on a horse ranch in Texas, my Mom used to race cars when she was in her 20's and her cousin is Richard Petty so there is that....:)
I only know 1 other women you like - a friend back in MI. Nobody has to preach to her about PPF! :)

If the car can't withstand normal driving then Tesla should not sell it in EU. It is not customer obligation to protect the cars.
I will not spend any dime in extra what i already have paid ( 96,000 $ )

Just to say the quality of tesla paint is GARBAGE.
Soft, Thin and not durable not to mention the primer shows everywhere.

We get your point dude.