Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For anyone considering a lease...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am on my second Tesla. The first was on a PCP contract - so technically - financed - like a lease for my accounts - but I was the owner. This time - I just leased it. Still only me driving - BUT - the lease company is technically the owner.

That means that Tesla limit information to me (as the primary user) because some information - like charging history - is only available to the primary owner.

It drives me nuts that Tesla have these arbitrary distinctions that simply dont reflect modern car ownership.
I figured - why buy? The tech will be out od date - there will still be warranty remaining - leasing was a bargain! Then they do this.
Nobody said anything when getting the car - maybe anyone thinking about leasing would like to know. PCP costs a little more - but had I known I would have gone that route.

Hi OsoFlaca
I wanted to add a note to your thread for anyone considering a lease.
I leased a Model 3 for 3 years. I did not drive all that much and it had a little over 8000 miles on it at the end of the lease.
The Tesla Lease Returns team is trying to charge me $1200 for excessive tire wear ... on tires with 8000 miles on them. I've never spun these tires or slid ... anything like. What IS excessive is the frustration of trying to talk to a person who has any authority to help me. I'm on my third attempt to contact the Leasing department but the phone queues are frequently an hour and the callback feature doesn't work ... in that, you can wait an hour, get a call, robo voice says you're connecting, but then the line is dead.

This is just one experience but, if you're considering a lease, you might be smart to assume that
a) There are differences in ownership for Leasing (from Oso's note)
b) Tesla will likely charge you with overages if you drive your car even a "normal" amount.
c) Anytime you need help with someone regarding your lease, it will be very difficult to contact a person.

Upvote 0
Too many people do not read their lease. It spells out some, but not all, of the overages like going over allowed miles, and it also spells out the minimum tread requirement. The tread requirement is typically black and white, so there should be no argument.
I forgot that all tires are created equal and wear at exactly the same rate. I should need to buy Tesla new tires after 8000 miles because of lease-reading. Thank you, that was helpful.

Upvote 0
I am on my second Tesla. The first was on a PCP contract - so technically - financed - like a lease for my accounts - but I was the owner. This time - I just leased it. Still only me driving - BUT - the lease company is technically the owner.

That means that Tesla limit information to me (as the primary user) because some information - like charging history - is only available to the primary owner.

It drives me nuts that Tesla have these arbitrary distinctions that simply dont reflect modern car ownership.
I figured - why buy? The tech will be out od date - there will still be warranty remaining - leasing was a bargain! Then they do this.
Nobody said anything when getting the car - maybe anyone thinking about leasing would like to know. PCP costs a little more - but had I known I would have gone that route.
Tesla leases are not a bargain. They have the highest MF in the industry. Sounds like you’re whining over not being the owner. Welcome to leasing.

Reactions: ATPMSD
Upvote 0