Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The non-cosmetic physical difference between P3+ and P3- are details such as performance braking, suspension settings, wheels and tyres. The performance of the high spec 'binned' motors and higher powered inverter of the P3- is toned down in software by removing track mode and reducing the maximum speed to better match the brakes and suspension but the stunning acceleration is the same as for the P3+.

No, our P3D- has track mode. And if you have the Tesla service center install an OEM spoiler, the maximum speed is unlocked too (we did that - now shows the little spoiler on the vehicle graphic representing the car). Apparently top speed is related to the back end needing to be kept level rather than the brakes and suspension.

The non-cosmetic physical difference between P3+ and P3- are details such as performance braking, suspension settings, wheels and tyres. The performance of the high spec 'binned' motors and higher powered inverter of the P3- is toned down in software by removing track mode and reducing the maximum speed to better match the brakes and suspension but the stunning acceleration is the same as for the P3+.

I don't know what Tesla is doing in Australia but my P3D- has a top speed of 162 mph (same as the P3D+). It also has Track Mode. AFAIK, this is how all North American P3D- and P3D+ are delivered.

The Michelin MXM4 Primacy tires have a speed rating of 167 mph and the brakes are fine for threshold braking from those speeds. You only need brakes with more thermal capacity if you are going to be tracking it and doing repeated threshold braking.

No, our P3D- has track mode. And if you have the Tesla service center install an OEM spoiler, the maximum speed is unlocked too (we did that - now shows the little spoiler on the vehicle graphic representing the car). Apparently top speed is related to the back end needing to be kept level rather than the brakes and suspension.

No, there is no spoiler on the P3D- and it goes 162 mph. The spoiler is only for cosmetic purposes and is too small (and too flat to the trunk lid) to add enough downforce to even mention. I've only had mine to a bit over 140 and it was rock solid - it felt even more glued to the road than at 100 so I would speculate the Model 3 has a natural downforce that increases with speed regardless of whether there is a spoiler mounted or not.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeff Hudson
No, there is no spoiler on the P3D- and it goes 162 mph. The spoiler is only for cosmetic purposes and is too small (and too flat to the trunk lid) to add enough downforce to even mention. I've only had mine to a bit over 140 and it was rock solid - it felt even more glued to the road than at 100 so I would speculate the Model 3 has a natural downforce that increases with speed regardless of whether there is a spoiler mounted or not.

No, you need the spoiler to unlock top speed. Maybe thats why yours topped at 140?

Before:
After:

I do not have a spoiler and one of the updates around the same time that gave us P3D- owners trackmode also specifically said we now have 162 mph top speed.

Attachments

• D3443F83-279D-4D16-B1C5-C88E78D6966A.jpeg
    D3443F83-279D-4D16-B1C5-C88E78D6966A.jpeg
    872.2 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: StealthP3D
On the description of his video it says:
"The top speed on Model 3 Performance is 261 km/h. I already have that software update. But in this run, the spoiler was not attached yet. Once Tesla attaches the spoiler, they will software unlock 261 km/h. A new test will be done later."

So to my understanding the capable top speed changed during the 5% increase. But it's not capable unless they software unlock during spoiler install. People who haven't gotten the spoiler installed still have the graphic, but top speed is still limited. Some of you w/o spoiler care to give it a try? :D:D

On the description of his video it says:
"The top speed on Model 3 Performance is 261 km/h. I already have that software update. But in this run, the spoiler was not attached yet. Once Tesla attaches the spoiler, they will software unlock 261 km/h. A new test will be done later."

So to my understanding the capable top speed changed during the 5% increase. But it's not capable unless they software unlock during spoiler install. People who haven't gotten the spoiler installed still have the graphic, but top speed is still limited. Some of you w/o spoiler care to give it a try? :D:D
This image i posted above is from my P3D- without spoiler. So unless they are lying, you don’t need a spoiler (which is completely cosmetic), to be able to do 162Mph, and no, I don’t care to do that. I think fastest i went was 120 when I was on the dragway.

I guess if there is an abandoned airstrip, then yeah, why not. But i don’t know of any near Philly.

Reactions: StealthP3D
I would honestly be careful trusting Wikipedia here. They list the sources on the page as blog articles, dyno-results and reddit posts. None of which are official or reliable. I would instead trust the EU numbers on the EU car registrations (with all the EU laws and crazy regulations I think they should be pretty precise as listing too high numbers on legal papers can have a negative effect).

I listed them before and can do again (and I should probably learn to update wikipedia with the correct information) - here are the post 5% update numbers (March and forward registrations, would be all 990 for AWD) - and these are official numbers from EU papers that specifies each motor individually:

LR-AWD
Front at 155KW / 211 hp(M) / 208 hp(I)
Rear at 195KW / 265 hp(M) / 261 hp(I)
Total: 350KW / 476 hp(M) / 469 hp(I)

Performance
Rear at 205KW / 279 hp(M) / 275 hp(I)
Total: 360KW / 489 hp(M) / 483 hp(I)

Regarding the binning - I personally believe that there probably is a difference - also among "older" 980 motors, it's just based on the serial number and only Tesla can tell. When they started putting them in Model S, they probably changed so 980 is the "performance only / Model S" and 990 is the AWD. Only difference being an output variance of ~10KW as listed above (around 3-5% tolerance). It would still allow for a later update of AWD from the currently measured ~390-400 hp(I) to it's official registered maximum if Tesla wants to roll it out paid or not (the software build that I mentioned before that a few AWD users already have gotten).

I would honestly be careful trusting Wikipedia here. They list the sources on the page as blog articles, dyno-results and reddit posts. None of which are official or reliable. I would instead trust the EU numbers on the EU car registrations (with all the EU laws and crazy regulations I think they should be pretty precise as listing too high numbers on legal papers can have a negative effect).

I listed them before and can do again (and I should probably learn to update wikipedia with the correct information) - here are the post 5% update numbers (March and forward registrations, would be all 990 for AWD) - and these are official numbers from EU papers that specifies each motor individually:

LR-AWD
Rear at 195KW / 265 hp(M) / 261 hp(I)
Total: 350KW / 476 hp(M) / 469 hp(I)

Performance
Rear at 205KW / 279 hp(M) / 275 hp(I)
Total: 360KW / 489 hp(M) / 483 hp(I)

Regarding the binning - I personally believe that there probably is a difference - also among "older" 980 motors, it's just based on the serial number and only Tesla can tell. When they started putting them in Model S, they probably changed so 980 is the "performance only / Model S" and 990 is the AWD. Only difference being an output variance of ~10KW as listed above (around 3-5% tolerance). It would still allow for a later update of AWD from the currently measured ~390-400 hp(I) to it's official registered maximum if Tesla wants to roll it out paid or not (the software build that I mentioned before that a few AWD users already have gotten).
I am surprised that the difference between AWD and P is just 10kw. I would have thought you needed more than this to get the 0-60 time down from 4.4 to 3.2 seconds. Same argument applies to the Wikipedia page listed power outputs.

No, you need the spoiler to unlock top speed. Maybe thats why yours topped at 140?

My car has never "topped" at 140 mph. I don't know where you got that idea. It has a top speed of 162 mph. I'm not sure why you don't believe that. The spoiler is cosmetic and top speed is not limited depending upon whether the spoiler is installed or not.

This forum is filled with so much misinformation from persons who either don't know what they are talking about or perhaps they just want to disrupt the forum and make it not such a fun, happy place. They just make stuff up out of thin air and present it as fact. It dilutes the value of the factual information available here.

Please note that the screenshot provided by a P3D- owner above says "The top speed of your car has been increased to 162 mph." It doesn't say "once a spoiler is installed" which is ridiculous when you think about it since the spoiler is too small to do much of anything.

Please stop the nonsense! It's unsupported by any facts.

Last edited:
The spoiler is cosmetic and top speed is not limited depending upon whether the spoiler is installed or not.

Tesla may not care if you have the spoiler for the speed unlock, but that doesn’t make it cosmetic. ...and your claim that it “is too small to do much of anything” is also wrong. In fact, the factory spoiler was found to increase down force by 35% and reduce overall vehicle drag by 2.3%. Independent Aerodynamic Study of Tesla Model 3 by Unplugged Performance

It’s a little ironic that you are complaining about people spreading disinformation while you are doing exactly that.

My car has never "topped" at 140 mph. I don't know where you got that idea. It has a top speed of 162 mph. I'm not sure why you don't believe that. The spoiler is cosmetic and top speed is not limited depending upon whether the spoiler is installed or not.

This forum is filled with so much misinformation from persons who either don't know what they are talking about or perhaps they just want to disrupt the forum and make it not such a fun, happy place. They just make stuff up out of thin air and present it as fact. It dilutes the value of the factual information available here.

Please note that the screenshot provided by a P3D- owner above says "The top speed of your car has been increased to 162 mph." It doesn't say "once a spoiler is installed" which is ridiculous when you think about it since the spoiler is too small to do much of anything.

Please stop the nonsense! It's unsupported by any facts.

But it is though, check out the videos I linked in the post you quoted and it shows the opposite of what you’re implying, and there are many forum posts that shows people have the same experience when it comes to the spoiler.

On Teslas own forum there are people that have received the same update with the same note that you’re referring to, but their P3D- still tops out at 145 mph, what's different with yours? The reason for the update notes is because P3D and P3D- gets the same software updates, but the P3D- top speed is locked. Tesla even told them they wouldn't unlock top speed without PUP, so I guess the tires, spoiler and lower suspension actually does something at those speeds.

So at the moment, you’re the one spreading misinformation.

speed.png

• Disagree
Tesla may not care if you have the spoiler for the speed unlock, but that doesn’t make it cosmetic. ...and your claim that it “is too small to do much of anything” is also wrong. In fact, the factory spoiler was found to increase down force by 35% and reduce overall vehicle drag by 2.3%. Independent Aerodynamic Study of Tesla Model 3 by Unplugged Performance

There are two kinds of car people in this world:

1) Those who take all the fancy claims of small aftermarket "custom" parts suppliers as gospel.
2) Those who question their claims with a critical eye that considers the actual laws of physics.

I belong firmly in the latter camp, and not without good reasons which have repeatedly proven to be correct over the years as I have looked into performance parts in both the motorcycle and automotive markets.

The conclusions of the "independent" aerodynamic study cited by UPP in order to increase sales of their body additions are obviously not realistic. I'm not going to waste my time debunking each and every wildly exaggerated claim but their final conclusion is this:

"By installing three simple upgrades, the Model 3’s drag coefficient was reduced from baseline by 0.049, total aerodynamic drag was reduced by 21%, and, simultaneously, both front and rear downforce were increased."

Anyone who knows anything about automotive aerodynamics knows that it ADDS drag when a car designer increases downforce. To claim major improvements in downforce while reducing total aerodynamic drag by 21% (without a decrease in frontal area) is laughable. But I'm sure it will cause more than a few gullible car enthusiasts to buy their products. It's a fake scientific analysis that obviously hasn't been peer reviewed and the "private engineering firm" hired by UPP to conduct the analysis was left un-named, a highly unusual omission in light of the presentation of the study as an independent scientific analysis. The person who did the computerized simulations was probably not even qualified (regardless of UPP claims to the contrary). I wasn't born yesterday.

It’s a little ironic that you are complaining about people spreading disinformation while you are doing exactly that.

The claim that the Unplugged Performance computerized aerodynamic simulations are a realistic modeling of the aerodynamics of the Model 3 with and without their custom body additions is the real disinformation here. It's anything but that, merely a marketing lie to sell more products and drive profits for the small business. It's not even close to being real. The fact that you used it to support your beliefs shows how gullible you are. Sorry, but I call it how I see it.

Last edited:
On Teslas own forum there are people that have received the same update with the same note that you’re referring to, but their P3D- still tops out at 145 mph, what's different with yours? The reason for the update notes is because P3D and P3D- gets the same software updates, but the P3D- top speed is locked.

It's ironic that you attach rumor and innuendo from an Internet forum to support your position. On August 25, 2019 "Bighorn" said:

"It would be illegal to offer it (162 mph top speed) with the supplied tires."

But the OEM tires for the P3D- are Michelin MXM4 Primacy which are speed rated to 167 mph as can be seen here at Tire Rack:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Primacy+MXM4&partnum=345WR8MXM4PXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Tesla&autoYear=2018&autoModel=Model 3&autoModClar=Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive

(Hover over the "?" by the Service Description to see the speed rating of 167 mph)

So, who is spreading misinformation? That's right, you.

It's ironic that you attach rumor and innuendo from an Internet forum to support your position. On August 25, 2019 "Bighorn" said:

"It would be illegal to offer it (162 mph top speed) with the supplied tires."

But the OEM tires for the P3D- are Michelin MXM4 Primacy which are speed rated to 167 mph as can be seen here at Tire Rack:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Primacy+MXM4&partnum=345WR8MXM4PXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Tesla&autoYear=2018&autoModel=Model 3&autoModClar=Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive

(Hover over the "?" by the Service Description to see the speed rating of 167 mph)

So, who is spreading misinformation? That's right, you.

Ignore that part, only focus on the parts that relates to what I wrote in my reply. You only select which parts you want to reply to and ignore what I was referring to. I blanked out that post so it should be easier for you to understand this time. I would rather believe this guy that tried to top the speed on his P3D- 3 times than your word.

speed.png

Ignore that part, only focus on the parts that relates to what I wrote in my reply. You only select which parts you want to reply to and ignore what I was referring to. I blanked out that post so it should be easier for you to understand this time. I would rather believe this guy that tried to top the speed on his P3D- 3 times than your word.

View attachment 449128

Yes, and that is one report that happened back before they unlocked the P3D- to 162 mph. So if you're basing your opinion on that, well, there's not a lot of meat on the bone. I'm not the kind of person who takes one Internet account as gospel when it flies in the face of more secure info. Is that all you have to go on?

Yes, and that is one report that happened back before they unlocked the P3D- to 162 mph. So if you're basing your opinion on that, well, there's not a lot of meat on the bone. I'm not the kind of person who takes one Internet account as gospel when it flies in the face of more secure info. Is that all you have to go on?

That post is from exactly one week ago, did they unlock 162 mph recently?
Unless you have some proof of a P3D- doing 145+ we could really argue all day long, I'm stopping here because this is getting ridiculous.