Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For Rocklin, CA deliveries - front license plate holder already installed ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I believe the states's statue and the lawyer's experience more than you .

And, at the risk of repeating myself, I really only received one plate with the notice explaining where to mount the plate when only one is received. Why would the DMV include instructions for how to mount a single plate, if don't allow for only one plate?!? ?
Visit a CHP office.

Last edited:
Spoke with a friend of mine who is a traffic judge in Pasadena. He confirmed that passenger cars are required to have a license plate in the front and the back. The DMV instruction you reference is specific to motorcycles and trailers. He said that if you only got one plate, the DMV screwed up, and that you should be contacting them to have new plates issued. I asked what would happen if somebody tried using this defense in front of him, and he told me that after 15+ years of doing this work he had never had anybody come before him with a no front license plate ticket; by the time it got to him, it had become a Failure to Appear. At that time, if the party could not show compliance with the law, they paid a fine for the Failure to Appear and had that on their record. I asked what he would do if somebody came in front of him with this argument, and he used the word "specious". He also said that if the person continued to push it, the "BAA" principle would be invoked, and fines and other ramifications would be suitably adjusted (get worse).

I asked whether he thought a police officer tasked with signing off on a no front plate ticket would buy the argument that only one plate had been received, therefore a front plate wasn't required, and he said he highly doubted it. His thought was that the officer would direct the person to contact the DMV for new plates, and then sign the ticket off once that was accomplished.

That being said, I don't think we're going to convince mptpro of this. And, like him, I hate the look of a front license plate on many vehicles. I've had 3 no plate tickets, two in a parking lot, one while driving. This is in over 40 years of driving (yes, I'm old). Both of the tickets in the parking lot were in the same parking lot, and occurred within the last 18 months. So, I've learned where I need to have a plate, and where I don't. I'm going to use the "suction cup" method suggested by another poster on this thread whenever I park in that lot (almost every day), and have the plate in the trunk the rest of the time. If I get a ticket, then I'll put the plate on, get it signed off, pay my fine, and move on. I certainly won't waste my valuable time trying to argue a nuance in the wording from the outside of my license plate envelope to get out of it.

My 2 c worth.....

Keith

I've been contacting the local authorized dealers / installers of the Digital License plate and their take was a front plate was still required. So digital plate on the rear and a regular metal plate on the front.

I had already decided to just put the front plate on. There is a street down the block that is notorious for police giving fix it tickets. My cousin and his son both got pulled over for no front plate, on the same street and same day about an hour apart from each other.

One of the two local dealers of the Digital License Plate in the Sacramento area is no longer selling or installing these due to a lack of sales. I guess I'll stick with the metal plates for now and see what happens with the Digital ones later.

Any advice on how to best remove the factory front bracket? I got mine and it was installed, but I want to swap it out for one that can be easily removed. (I picked mine up today in Costa Mesa, CA and they said it had to be installed, new Jan 1, 2019 law, with the temp paper plates)

Curious about this as well. Had a Mazda RX7 for 10 years. No front plate. Got pulled over once and hassled about it but not ticket. You are supposed to have 2 plates in CA.

On my daily commute through Silicon Valley I see at least 10 Tesla’s of all models. Have not seen a single one with front plates.