Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone use the OEM front license plate holder?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To anyone curious, I put the front license plate holder one. It's fine. I see no reason to buy one off Amazon.

Attachments

• IMG_2064.jpeg
    IMG_2064.jpeg
    298.6 KB · Views: 30
So you can remove it
Which is weird. If one lives in a state that requires a license plate, then one needs a license plate holder.

The license plate itself is held onto the holder with screws... that come off, so, come the day when a license plate needs to be swapped for some reason, that's doable with a straight-slot/#2 Phillips head screwdriver.

I guess if one is taking one's car to the track, taking the license plate holder off for that extra 2 mph one gets makes sense, but otherwise?

Reactions: KevinT3141
The license plate itself is held onto the holder with screws... that come off, so, come the day when a license plate needs to be swapped for some reason, that's doable with a straight-slot/#2 Phillips head screwdriver.
The OEM front plate holder is held on with adhesive, not screws, so removing it (unless installed on top of PPF) might damage the paint

The OEM front plate holder is held on with adhesive, not screws, so removing it (unless installed on top of PPF) might damage the paint
Wasn’t talking about the holder, which is held on with some impressive 3M tape. My comment about screws was about the actual license plate, which is attached to the holder with screws, just like every other license plate in the world.

Reactions: mborkow and Alonzo
Question for those who use aftermarket mounts—under what circumstances would you want to remove both the front plate and the mount? I mean, I live in a front-plate-required state so I'm not planning on removing the front plate mount ever, or getting a wrap or PPE. So the OEM mount works fine for me. If the next owner hates it they are free to remove it!

Question for those who use aftermarket mounts—under what circumstances would you want to remove both the front plate and the mount? I mean, I live in a front-plate-required state so I'm not planning on removing the front plate mount ever, or getting a wrap or PPE. So the OEM mount works fine for me. If the next owner hates it they are free to remove it!
I think it’s more like: in what circumstances would you want to mount the front plate?

For me it makes it easier to clean and or wax the front bumper

I attached the supplied adhesive mount on my old model 3 and after 2 years it seemed a little loose on one side. On my new Y, I used the Tesla mount and added 2 screws into the bumper, which is how all our other cars are mounted. I really don't want to attach my license frame to that flimsy plastic 'grill' underneath.

Over half of the Teslas in this part of town have pay-extra plates on them and for the life of me I can't understand why they wouldn't want to mount the front plate.

In Colorado, the default license plate issued to EV's and PHEV's has a unique color/graphic and says "ELECTRIC VEHICLE" (you can opt out if you get a pay-extra plate). I am truly amazed how many non-Tesla's I see these on which is exactly what the state wanted to show, 'look how many electric cars are on our roads.'

Used the stick-on OEM front plate holder on a Model 3 with no complaints. Have not heard of any complaints (regarding falling off or whatever) from anyone using the stick-on OEM front plate holder.

Ours came from Tesla with the OEM plate holder already mounted. We did spot that it had shifted a bit and was starting to peel after the first month or two, but mobile service came out and fixed it for free, and it's been a year since that now without any further issue.